3rd Trimester

Induced?

Have you ever been induced? Please share your experience. Thanks.
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Induced?

• I have. Mine is a little bit unique reason why though. My birth story is on birth story board. Title starts with caden's arrival. Long, sorry. :) anyway it is there if you are interested! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • memali26memali26 member
    edited October 2013
    Yep, twice. I had insulin dependent GD with both (now all 3) of my pregnancies, so we induce at 39w to avoid the risk of premature placental aging/failure. Both were positive experiences, but long. 

DD1 - went in at 38w6d showing no signs of labor, a fingertip dilated and barely effaced. Cervadil started at 9PM to soften the cervix, then removed at 9AM the next morning. Contractions started around 11AM and were erratic. Once they evened out a bit, pitocin was started around 3PM. By 8PM the contractions were quite intense, but still no cervical change so they placed another cervadil at 9PM. Cervadil removed at 9AM and pitocin started again. Water broken by dr when I hit 4cm, at about 3PM, which really got things going and I had horrible, horrible back labor. Got the epidural around 7PM, slept a bit and around 12:30AM I was ready to push. Pushed less than 20 minutes, really easy delivery around 1AM at 39w2d. Induction was 56hrs start to finish, labor was 38hrs.

DD2 - went in 38w6d, 1cm and 70% effaced. Cervadil placed at 9PM, contractions started hard and fast at 10PM. Cervadil removed at 7AM, back labor started around 9AM and got the epidural around 11AM. Pitocin around 1PM, epidural failed sometime between 3Pm and 4PM and I labored through the rest with no meds. Pushed less than 5 minutes and delivered around 8:30PM at 39w. Inductions was 23hrs, labor was 22hrs.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was induced at 41 weeks 4 days.  They started pitocin at 10 am but I didn't feel anything until 8 pm when I pretty much had nonstop super intense contractions until around midnight.  I had really bad back labor because she was sunny side up.  They broke my water when I was almost 10 cm dilated. I started pushing but nothing happened.  I ended up getting an epi so I could rest for a couple hours before pushing.   After an hour of pushing without progress from about 3 am to around 4 am, her heart rate started dropping and I was put on oxygen.  I ended up with an emergency c/s.  She was born at 4:39 am.

I hated being hooked up to the IV for labor.  I think my contractions were so intense and didn't let up because of the pitocin.  I am hoping to have a drug free VBAC this time around.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Yes at 42wks with my first. Was not dilated or effaced. Started off taking a pill every few hours to soften my cervix. That lasted 24hrs, in that time I lost my mucus plug and I started having pre-labor contractions. By the end of the 24hrs I was 4cm dilated so they broke my water and started me on pitocin. 12hrs later I was only dilated to 5cm and every contraction my LO's heartrate would drop into the 30's. They turned off the pitocin and my labor stopped but DS's stats would go back to normal. They tried a few times to get my labor going again (had me on oxygen to try to help) but every time I had a contraction DS's vitals would go down. They placed a probe just under his skin on his head to get a better measurement of his vitals and they placed a monitor internally in me to measure my contractions. I felt like I was wired for sound  After the 12hr mark they decided that I needed a c-section.
    Cord was wrapped around DS's neck (a few times according to the doc) but both DS and I were fine. I recovered very well from the surgery and DS's scores were all normal and he is now a normal 2y10m old. He does have a speech disorder that could be linked to his delivery but there is no way to truly know. It is a neurologic disorder but it isn't tied to anything else (he has no other medical issues minus the Apraxia)

This time around I am opting for the repeat c-section. The whole experience with my induction was physically and emotionally draining and it scares me to think to go through it again. I hated hearing the heart monitor drop with each contraction, I was so scared for my son's safety and health.

photo 6aecdc21-d010-4990-8b8b-da468f75ece3_zps38a4dec0.jpgphoto 8c7926e4-3191-4d9f-8e13-2ba2d4b7296f_zps45188ab0.jpg
              Connor - 12/15/10                                     Abby - EDD 11/29/13
    Lilypie - (bLG7)
  • I was induced at 39 weeks due to severe pre-e and HELLP syndrome. The doc placed the cytotec at 1230pm, he broke my water at 330 and baby was delivered at 5.34pm. I remember him saying that I was "a generous 3" cm right before he broke my water and I started having some pretty heavy contractions almost immediately afterwards and never had to have any pitocen. 5 hours total from checking in to my room to a baby in my arms.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I was induced Sunday night. Went to the hospital at 7pm and was 1cm dialated and cervidil was started at 8pm by midnight I was having some pretty steady contractions, LO was sunny side up and apparently that can cause your contractions to be more intense. By 6am I got an epidural, and at 8am when pit was started I was
    At 4 cm. My water broke around 1pm and I was at 6 1/2 when they checked me, I wasn't feeling anything by that time with the epidural. When they checked me again at 3pm I was at 9 1/2cm and I started pushing by 3:45. Something happened with my epidural right before I started pushing, an area of it failed and was causing me extreme pain. I pushed for over 2 hours, little one was stuck under my pelvic bone and she finally came out after an exhausting painful 2 1/2 hours. As much pain as I was in and still am (dr said its nerve damage in my lower abdomen area) I wouldn't trade it for the world. Our DD is the most perfect thing ever.
  • I was also induced with my first (only other) pregnancy at 39 w 6 days. I had an amazing experience. I was favorable for an induction and had no complication. I went in at 2 cm and 50% effaced and it took about 10 hours total until she was born. I loved how calm and prepared we were. It helped that everything went as planned.
    High risk momma: Diagnosed with a partially abrupted placenta at 32 weeks and sentenced to strict bed rest for the remainder. Pregnancy Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • I was. I had cholestasis and pre-e. My doctor was nice enough to not shoot straight to a c-section, though. 

I was only a 1 when my doctor and I decided that it was time, so the night before the induction, I showed up at the hospital for Cervidil. That was no more painful than a check, so nbd. The next morning at 6, my doctor came in and explained to me that my BP kept going up and we needed to try to make sure that things progress quickly, so he broke my water and started pitocin. I only dilated a half centimeter (I was at a 1.5). I was on the pitocin for 10 hours, and after that 10 hours my doctor was able to stretch me to a 2. I couldn't get the epidural because I hadn't progressed enough, my son wouldn't engage, and my BP kept going up and the itching got worse. I ended up with a c-section.

When he came to tell me that I needed one, I really didn't care despite REALLY not wanting one before. My recovery was kind of rough at times, but I'd do it all again. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I was induced at 41 1/2 weeks with DD. She was showing NO signs that she was coming on her own. I had cervidil to help my cervix start thinning and then pitocin. It was a successful induction that started around 10pm one night and I had DD the next day at 12:54pm. 

DD - Juliana Joan - Born October 27, 2010 - My Little Princess

BFP 1/14/13 - M/C 1/22/13 @ 5 weeks

BFP 3/20/13 - EDD 11/11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• Water broke with 1st at 3 am, went to hospital & started pitocin around 8 am. Slow labor, got epidural at 7 pm started pushing at 8 baby born @ 835

#2 induced 39 weeks. Started pitocin around 11 am, water broke late afternoon, epidural around 545-6pm baby by 8

No complications with either.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was induced at 41+1. I went into the hospital and I was 2cm and fully thinned out. Started pitocin at 8am, didn't progress any so at 2pm they broke my water. I had painful back contractions from 2pm till 4pm when I got the epidural. I was 5cm at 4pm and at 5pm I was at 9cm. Started pushing at 5pm and Alec was born at 7:08pm. All in all it was a good experience.
  • Went to the hospital at 39w2d to start cytotec. I was about 2cm dilated and 70% effaced. Given two doses of Cytotec overnight. At about 7A on the morning of 39w3d they started pitocin. I was slightly more effaced and maybe to 3cm dilated at that point. I waited until I was 4cm to get the epidural. While waiting for the epidural (which I got between noon and 1P, IIRC) my OB broke my water. I was 8cm by 2:45P, started pushing at 4:30P, and DS was born at 5:21P.

• I was 42w 3d, closed and thick. Checked in for induction at 7:00 PM. Cervadil placed at 9:00 PM. Water broke on its own at midnight. Contractions started immediately. Pitocin started at 1:30 to regulate contractions. Epidural at 4:00 AM but I was only 1-2 cm dialated. Labored until 5:00 but never dialated past 3 cm. C-Section at 6:00 PM due to failure to progress. Recovery was hard but I was completely uneducated/unprepared for a CS.

DD was an automatic CS due to FTP with DS. Recovery was much easier.
  • I was induced due to GD with my first baby.  It was an ok experience.  I think I got into the Pitocin/Epidural cycle where the two drugs end up fighting each other.  I ended up having to have an emergency c-section due to "arrested decent" meaning my son's head was cocked at a funny angle and he couldn't descend any further into my pelvis.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was induced with my first at 39w due to GD. I was 1cm and 70% effaced. Started Pitocin at 6am, my water was broke at 9am (3cm), epi started at 10am, I was fully dilated by 3pm. I labored down an hour before starting to push at 4pm. At 4:28pm DS was born. I am going to be induced again this time at 39w, if LO isn't here by then. I loved the calm, planned labor and delivery.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was induced at 39w due to excessive swelling and high BP. I was 70% effaced and 1 cm. Cervadil was placed at 10 PM, made it to 2 cm by 9 am (my nurse never gave me the demerol I requested so I was not relaxing AT ALL) Epidural place at 11ish, Pit started at noon. Water was broken by the doctor at 3, was fully dilated by 800. Pushed for 2 hours and 20 minutes, Doctor did an episiotomy and used the vacuum. DS was born at 1040.

• I checked in at 6pm for my induction due to GD 2 days before my due date.  I was given Cytotec about 7pm, then 2 more times throughout the night.  I was having regular strong contractions although I didn't feel them at ALL!  At 8am they started Pitocin and around 10am the doctor tried to break my water to get me moving some but said I will still completely closed and he wasn't able to do so.  My doctor came in about 130pm and checked me again and still nothing so although he did give me 3 options...1) Go home (which he said he wasn't a fan of but would if that's what I wanted) 2) Stay, wait and see what happens 3) C-section.  I took the lack of progress for about 20 hours a sign it just wasn't going to happen so I chose the c-section.  I walked into the c-section room at 5pm, got my spinal about 520pm (had to wait for the doctor to get there).  Liam was born at 539pm..healthy 6lbs 9 oz. Not sure if that was a blessing in disguise because during the c-section after they delivered my placenta my uterus turned inside out and if my doctor wasn't able to correct it quickly I could have bled out and it would have been fatal.  It was easier to correct because he could see it and I was already open from the c-section.  Had it been vaginal it would have been harder to diagnose and harder to correct. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I was induced with my first at 39 weeks. Simply due to the fact that they wanted to induce me and I was 4 cm and experiencing back labor already.

I totally jumped on it.

They didn't use pills or anything. Simply broke my water at 7:45 am with the hook of no return and all went pretty smoothly from there. I honestly don't regret it, but it would have been nice to know how it felt to actually go into labor naturally (since it was my first and all). But truly, didn't mind it at all! :)

I quickly dilated to a ten by 12:00 p.m. and was pushing immediately. I had an epidural at 7 cm so I was able to feel a little painful pressure (as if the urge to push) and, in thirty minutes, my beautiful little girl was in my arms and I was sobbing like a madwoman.

It was a nice experience overall. I loved my doctor and my nurse was great to me. Everything was so perfect as I recall :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"