Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Mom-n-me whine

Why are all the fun mom-n-me classes always offered at like 9 or 9:30, when all the sensible babies are napping?? Has anybody else run into this problem? My son loooves kids gym, storytime at the library, etc., but we can never make it because he's so sleepy right then! I know it will be easier when he goes down to one nap a day, but for now I'm just frustrated.

Re: Mom-n-me whine

• Options
    Some classes have different times. Maybe you can find another library in your area that has storytimes at other times during the day.  If we run into that problem, I'll put DS down for a nap earlier than usual and usually will wake him up to get to the playgroup or library.  I only do that once a week, so It's not a big deal and it's not messing too much with his nap times.  If it's so early that I can't get DS down for a nap first, even if he is tired, he is great once we are there and I'll put him down right when we get home.  
  • Options
    I feel your pain. For us, everything is in the 10-11:30 time range, which is when DS was taking his first nap. He is 17 months and just went down to one nap in the past couple weeks. He still goes down at 11:30 but we can just barely get in some of the classes. Your LO will change nap schedules eventually and until then you could try play dates where you can set the time and look for other activities.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have that issue. My DD takes one nap but unlike most other toddlers who nap in the afternoon her nap is like 10am-12. Finally though I decided to just try storytime, which is 10am here, and then she goes down more like 11am. She actually does just fine since we're actively doing something rather than just at home. Maybe try to push nap back to do a few things. LO might surprise you. 

(the other storytime here is 6:30pm! my DD goes to sleep at 6:30, but even if she went down later the last thing I want to do at that time is go out, we're doing dinner/bath/bed)
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    My baby does not even wake up until 8:30am, which I find very sensible, so she does not take her first nap until 11am.  A 9 or 9:30 class would work great for us.  All babies are on different nap schedules and they obviously can not make everyone happy.  Our story time is at 11am, which I am sure works for some babies (like yours) and not for others (like mine).  For things I really want to go to I just adjust her nap schedule that day, otherwise I just find something else to do or know that someday her nap schedule will change and we can go then.  It sucks when there are things I want to go to, but I know this type of schedule will not last forever so what we do what we can.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mommymegan831mommymegan831 member
    edited October 2013
    w/ DD we had to be home for nap time and things were very scheduled.  She was also w/ a SAHM who watched a few kids and kept them on a strict schedule.  DS has been with me and in daycare where up to 1 1/2 they sleep when they need to, so he has never really been scheduled.  He takes a nap, but it can be anywhere between 11:30 and 1.  After the 1st one you can't keep such a strict schedule and I've found it makes things so much easier.
    I work so we do our activities on Saturdays, but I've also found a few activities after 3 which I'm able to do with them.  When I'm home that wouldn't really work because we take later naps, although now DD seems to be done with naps so it might, but at daycare they are up by 2:30 so its ok.
    If I took DS to something around nap time, he'd probably fall asleep on the way, but once he sees what's going on he perks up and participates.  Depending on how long he slept before he may sleep again after, but if we're out it seems like as long as he gets 20-30 minutes of sleep in, he's good for the day, then on days like today when we're home not doing much, he wound up sleeping 3 1/2 hours before we woke him up.  That's not from being over tired though because most days he's at daycare and does take about a 2 hour nap.
  • Options
    Usually most places will offer both a morning option and an afternoon option, so I haven't really run into this problem. I usually just pick whichever works best for us, and if the times are not convenient, I look into different locations until I find something that fits our schedule.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Leftie22 said:
    Ours are all scheduled for 11, which would be great, but my son has a strange nap schedule and takes his one nap from 11-1. I've been trying to push it back, but he's not having it!

My son is a 11-1:00 napper too, although I have never found that to be strange. As long as the nap is roughly around a mid point in their day, that is fine. My son is usually up at 6:00 and down around 7:30, so it's perfect for him. I don't think you need to worry about pushing it later if it's been working for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"