Babies: 0 - 3 Months

3 week old getting really fussy..what to do?

Hi ladies,

My baby is now 23 days old and for the past 2 days, he has been really fussy. He has been crying, turning bright red in the face, moving his head often, and has been particularly gassy. I am BFing, but occasionally I will give him my milk from the bottle, and I think this is why he is gassy. Unfortunately, I don't know how to help him. I burp him, massage his tummy, hold him, feed him and change him. I try to do everything to alleviate some fussiness. Nothing seems to help. I am waiting for a call back from pedi, as I called him to ask him what to do. Could it be just that he's going through a fussy period?? I am a FTM and not sure what to do.

Re: 3 week old getting really fussy..what to do?

• Are you sure he's not just hungry? There's a 3 week growth spurt when they're hungry constantly.
    4 years TTC including countless tests, 2 surgeries, and one failed IUI
    Scheduled IVF for April 2013--SURPRISE, don't need it! DD Born 9/7/13 
    Ectopic pregnancy Sep/Oct 2014 ended in surgery, and many trips to the ER
    Miracle #3: EDD 11/28/16

• My LO def had that around 3weeks, so Im assuming it was a growth spurt.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • Loading the player...
  • Growth spurt. feed lots, every hour for the day and will probably get to every 20 minutes in the evening.  It will allow your supply to up to meet his new demands.  Lots of comfort is needed as well
    BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • Sounds like normal newborn stuff...

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• sdgirleysdgirley member
    edited October 2013
    Are you using gas drops? They save us!!! Our baby is 4 weeks tomorrow and suffers from gas... it causes her to be extremly fussy. I also burp, massager her tummy, lift her legs but mostly the drops work the best and they work almost instantly! ( little remedies- gas drops) 
  • Are you sure he's not just hungry? There's a 3 week growth spurt when they're hungry constantly.

Oh he eats! I feed him nonstop! Lol
  • TashnBabiiTashnBabii member
    edited October 2013
    sdgirley said:
    Are you using gas drops? They save us!!! Our baby is 4 weeks tomorrow and suffers from gas... it causes her to be extremly fussy. I also burp, massager her tummy, lift her legs but mostly the drops work the best and they work almost instantly! ( little remedies- gas drops) 

Oh good to know! I've never heard of gas drops! I'll have to try them out, along with continuing to feed him lots! Thanks ladies!
  • I experienced this at 3 weeks. After losing sleep, my mind and me crying from exhaustion, here are what I found helped me:
    1. white noise app on my phone
    2. rubbing sides of tummy
    3. bicycling his legs
    4. baby wearing ( I use a moby wrap)
    5. gas drops
    6. gripe water occasionally
    7. rocking him and holding him tight
    8. swaddling
    9. skin to skin
    10. being persistent to get as many burps as possible
    11. feed him as often as he wants.... I nursed every hour for a week...it was brutal. 
    12. BIGGEST difference: I stopped eating dairy, eggs and peanut butter. My DS calmed down drastically. My diet must have hurt his tummy. Poor guy.
    Lilypie - (wpJS)

Kelsey Johnston's photo.  image  image 
    Lilypie - (6yLP)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"