July 2013 Moms
Options

S/O Sleeping on Tummy

edited October 2013 in July 2013 Moms
OK, i'm sure we've talked about this before when our babies were littler, but here goes. So, DD just fell asleep during tummy time, and is, for the first time pretty much EVER, sleeping peacefully without a swaddle. (I'm sitting right next to her at the moment).

She's 4.5 months, can roll belly to back (and sometimes back to belly but not often), and has great head/neck control.

So, my $5.99...What are you guys' thoughts on letting sleeping babies lie? I didn't lay her down on her back, but she's in a position I know she can get out of if she wants.

Any of our nurses able to chime in on this? I know "back to sleep," but I'm trying to figure out why they say to do it until a year if kids are able to flip themselves over well before then?

Should I stop making myself worry and just let her sleep? Is it stupid to buy a Snuza for a 5 month old (so I can let her do this more often)?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: S/O Sleeping on Tummy

• Options
    If we're around to monitor her, we let DD nap on her stomach if she falls asleep that way - overnight though she's in the Merlin sleep suit
  • Options
    We let DS sleep on his belly for naps, when he's not napping on me, and he still sleeps on his back swaddled in the RNP at night.

BFP #1 5/16/2012 Heard/Saw Heartbeat 6/27/2012 No heartbeat at 11 weeks D&C 7/6/2012
    BFP #2 10/28/2012 EDD July 12, 2013
    BFP #3 6/24/2015 EDD March 8, 2016

Oliver born July 6, 2013

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @somerandomchick you're earning my bump boner. :-p
  • Options
    My pediatrician said when they are rolling over it's fine to leave them that way. Im not sure about your situation since she didnt roll that specific way though. I didn't know it was a year they were supposed to sleep on their backs! Wow. I've been letting my boy sleep on his belly- unpopular I know.
  • Options
    Yeah, I mean, she rolls off her belly all the time, so logically this doesn't seem like a big deal (and she just had a lovely nap), but all the online info is so adamantly back is best...
  • Options
    When DS was almost 4 months he was able to roll both ways and started rolling onto his belly to sleep. I would roll him back and he would just roll again. The pediatrician told me since he could roll himself, it was fine to let him sleep that way. He is still a tummy sleeper.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    With Corri, I let her sleep on her tummy once she was able to flip there on her own,which was at about 4-5 months actual. I still always put her on her back to start, but wouldn't flip her back once she flipped over.
  • Options
    dchebetdchebet member
    edited October 2013
    My lo has been sleeping on his tummy since he was three mo. That was pretty much the only position he would sleep in. I used to be scared and would wake up every so often to check on him but I figured since he had good neck support then he would be fine. On his tummy he sleeps thro the night.
  • Options
    We let Charlie nap on his belly all the time. I just check on him frequently. He isn't rolling at all yet... back to sleep at night though.
  • Options
    I would let her sleep on her tummy as long as you are able to monitor her. Our Physical Therapist suggested we let DD nap on her tummy to help with her flat spot on her head. So far she has not fallen asleep on tummy time.
  • Options
    I'd let sleeping babies lie

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

We let Charlie nap on his belly all the time. I just check on him frequently. He isn't rolling at all yet... back to sleep at night though.

This is us too!
    BFP #1 7/15/2012
    Natural Miscarriage 8/4/2012 at 7 weeks
    BFP #2 10/26/12 - Baby Jack - Due 7/6/13 - Born 6/7/13
    (born prematurely at 35w 6d, perfectly healthy with no NICU time needed)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Thanks, guys. I'm comfortable with naps, will suffer through back-sleeping for nighttime :-)
  • Options
    I say, for me, back to sleep until baby can roll both ways.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    We let DS sleep on his tummy if we were there to watch for naps. Night it back sleep. He loved tummy sleep early on.
  • Options
    Always lay baby down on her back. If she flips on her own, fine, but I would turn her over in this case. SIDS is still a risk at this point, and SIDS risk actually peaks between 2 to 4 months.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"