Secondary IF

IVF Questions

DH and I are maybe 90% sure that if this IUI doesn't work, we will give IVF one try. I am really nervous about it all, especially timing since it would be around the holidays and DS 4th birthday. And although they don't do batch IVF at my clinic, they do close the lab around the holidays so we have to consider that. I don't know anyone in real life who has done IVF, so I am hoping you experienced ladies can answer some of my possibly silly questions!

- DH has to travel for work and I am a big wimp with needles. How bad is injecting yourself? It would be gonal f, menopur and possibly cetrotide/ganirelix when he is gone.

- For anyone without the savings to pay for it all, what did you do? Are there any good finance options anyone has found?

- I asked my nurse as well, but how flexible is the timing of birth control pills? They said 21 days but that there is wiggle room so I don't know if that means like 14 is ok or staying on it for ?? days longer.

- Has anyone travelled after transfer? It would be about a 4.5 hour car ride each way to visit family.

If the timing isn't going to work, we may do one more IUI. But that would put the IVF into the following year so we would have to consider the insurance changes (we have minimal benefits, but anything helps). We already know DH work changed things with insurance to save some money for next year. Thank you all!

DS born Jan 2010

TTC#2 since Nov 2010 with breaks for DH cancer tx (remission!)

Tube with hydro removed Feb 2013

BFP 11/11/13 IUI#2 clomid+trigger+prometrium

Beta #1 14dpIUI=106; Beta #2 16dpIUI=287; Beta #3 20dpIUI=1158

5w6d 1 hb 109 and 2nd smaller sac; 7w0d 1 hb 125 and confirmed vanishing twin

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: IVF Questions

• pettycrockerpettycrocker member
    edited October 2013
    Ok let me try to answer as much as I can. 

#1) Absolutely no way would *I* even consider doing any of it around the holidays- because like you mentioned, my clinic shuts down for the holiday as well, but aside from all of that- the holidays are stressful enough! And, you really don't want to be pumped up with all those meds while you are trying to plan your DS's Bday, you're going to want that to be a special day for him without having to worry about giving yourself a bunch of injections- it just sounds like a bad time line all around. 

#2)N/A for me, but I'm sure you can find a loan program that would work in this scenario.

#3) The shots are really not bad at all. You will be a little nervous at first (of course) but the majority of the needles are so teeny tiny, you really do not even feel them. The process is just a bit overwhelming. I haven't done a trigger yet, but from what I've heard from others- you really are going to want to have someone help you with that, because it's an IM shot, and it's huge, and super painful- but it's just one of those. 

#4) I would never even DREAM about all that traveling after a transfer ESPECIALLY if you are OOP (I am 100% covered and I still wouldn't dream of it) Now you might get a lot of different responses when it comes to this part, but IMO I just want to get my emryos transferred, hurry home, get in bed, and stay there until (PRAY) I get a BFP. Because- It's SO much to go through physically, emotionally, financially, PHYSICALLY, I just can't see wanting to do anything that could potentially jeopardize a positive outcome. If you traveled all that way, and for some reason the cycle didn't work- you'd be kicking yourself with what ifs, you know? 

Can you possibly try a more aggressive IUI? I'm not sure what protocols you've tried so far- but there are IUI protocols that include some serious injects, which will require more extensive monitoring, but could greatly increase your chances. Is that even an option for you at your clinic? I totally hear you, about wanting to use whatever coverage you can now, but it just seems so incredibly stressful. I would start researching some low interest loans and find out what's available. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • freakyfastfreakyfast member
    edited October 2013
    I will try to as best as I can. 

-Most of the shots go in your stomach.  And if you can handle needles, (Which honestly I don't mind them, but I absolutely can not watch a needle go into skin) you will be fine. DH did all my shots.  The trigger goes in your backside, and it is a doozer, it hurts, BUT it is a pain that is tolerated, considering the end goal.  I would definitely get help with that one. It is hard to reach around to do it.  But I do know people CAN do it if you HAVE to.  @ Mrs Castillo is awesome she does hers. 
    Menopur burns so goooo slow when injecting it. 
    Ganirelix itches like a mo fo and will turn red and raise up a bit, that lasts about an hour. In general most of the shots you don't feel much after you are done. Your trigger will hurt like a bruise for a couple days. 

-Honestly we got a couple no interest credit cards for a year to charge it. 

- I don't know much about bcp I just started mine. 

- I also wouldn't dream about traveling.  My transfer is going to be around the holidays but my clinic is open 365 days a year. So we may be making up reasons we are out of certain things this year.  I don't know that I would do it in your shoes with your timing, but I am sure you will make the best choice for you and your family. It is a busy time of year. 

Did i answer all? Let us know if you have any other questions... 

• Loading the player...
  •  

Can you possibly try a more aggressive IUI? I'm not sure what protocols you've tried so far- but there are IUI protocols that include some serious injects, which will require more extensive monitoring, but could greatly increase your chances. Is that even an option for you at your clinic? I totally hear you, about wanting to use whatever coverage you can now, but it just seems so incredibly stressful. I would start researching some low interest loans and find out what's available. 

Mrs Castillo  seems to know her stuff. ;) She's been so kind and forthcoming to me.

I agree about a more aggressive IUI during the holidays but I completely understand having to start over with insurance Jan 1st. We have the same problem.

Like the other ladies, I, too would be so careful with anything stressful to jeopardize my chances. I've already told my hubs and my parents if I say I'm "checking out" for a few hours they need to just deal with it. I told my work the same thing and was shocked :-O they were ok with it - I was seriously stressing having that conversation. I have worked really hard over the past 2 weeks to remove any unnecessary stress (when is it necessary?) because I take on far too much and stress myself out especially when I'm jacked up on hormones. This is far too much money and far too important.  

BTW - your protocol is very similar to mine.

I wish you the best and hope this IUI is successful! Baby dust to you!

Don't hump it, Love it! 

Happily married since Feb 2010, Sweet DD born Oct 2010, 39 years old, blocked tube, low . 09 AMH and high 21 FSH

It's not him, it's me!

September 2013 failed IUI - left blocked tube

November 2013 IVF - premature ovulation converted to IUI 

December 2013 "We were <are> on a break!!!" ~ Friends homage

November 2013 protocol: Menopur, Gonal-f RFF Pen 900, Ganirelix 250mcg, baby Asprin, Gonal-f RFF Pen 300, Z Pak, Novarel, Progestrone in Sesame Oil

• I agree with all of the above. 

I would not do it during the holidays either. I am a retail manager and that is stressful enough.

The shots are a breeze.

We put it on a credit card, then paid it off with a loan we took out from our credit union with a very low apr.

After my ET, I went right home and stayed on the couch for 2 weeks. My RE said I didn't to take that much time off, but for 20k (completely OPP) I wasn't chancing it. 

Good luck :)

TTC for 1.5 years with a crappy RE. 12 cycles with clomid (11 too many)
    New RE, 3 failed IUI's moving to IVF with ICSI
    IVF#1 BFP EDD 1/10/13
    Beta#1 51  Beta #2 148
    A/S 8/20/13 Team Pink
    Induced week 39 due to severe GD
    Baby girl born 1/4/13

TTC #2 2 failed IUI's moving on to FET 3/2014
    ET 3/25 
    Beta #1 127
    Beta #2 845
    U/s 4/22 It's TWINS!!
    Team Purple!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker          

• 1.Our first round of ivf which got us dd was done after the holidays. 2.I couldn't imagine all the hormones plus the holidays. 3. I would never travel after retrieval or transfer. We pay totally oop so I don't want to jinx anything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks all! I heard back from my nurse, and we may be on track to do retrieval and transfer the week before Christmas. I think I could handle that, but we are also going to consider one more IUI in December, then IVF in January. A more aggressive IUI unfortunately isn't an option for us. I respond really well to the meds so they don't want to stimulate any more than with minimal clomid. DH and I have more talking to do, and we have to see the differences in insurance plans this year vs next.

I am ok with getting shots and blood drawn but I just don't think I can do it myself. DH has done the trigger shots so far and that is fine. We are signed up for an injections class so I am hoping that will help. I get really nervous even swallowing pills. Anxiety issues with medication and IF don't mix! @freakyfast I really appreciate the details. If I know burning, itching, or a rash is normal then it will be much easier.

You are all right, traveling so soon would be a bad idea. It is hard to balance wanting and doing all of this for another child with the guilt of disrupting anything for DS, especially if he ends up an only child. He is old enough to notice and question everything now, and I want him to be happy (mommy guilt!). Thank you all again. I am sure I will have more questions as we go along!

DS born Jan 2010

TTC#2 since Nov 2010 with breaks for DH cancer tx (remission!)

Tube with hydro removed Feb 2013

BFP 11/11/13 IUI#2 clomid+trigger+prometrium

Beta #1 14dpIUI=106; Beta #2 16dpIUI=287; Beta #3 20dpIUI=1158

5w6d 1 hb 109 and 2nd smaller sac; 7w0d 1 hb 125 and confirmed vanishing twin

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"