Secondary IF
Options

Talk to me about IUI like I'm 5

My IF nurse called to check on me this morning since I was so upset with results yesterday.  (Seriously, my OBs office rocks!)  She mentioned that my OB feels like IUI would be a good option for us as long as everything checks out with DH at the urologist appointment (which isn't until December!).  She also said if we wanted to skip it and go straight to IVF, they would do the referral ASAP.  Given that IVF is completely out of pocket, we are thinking of giving the IUI a try.  What do I need to know.  All my tests are normal, so what does it mean for me?  Is there an IUI for dummies guide somewhere?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

m/c 05/2009
DD born 8/9/10
TTC #2 since 8/2012
CP 12/2012
dx MFI 10/2013
Surprise BFP 11/6/2013  EDD 7/19/2014
Beta #1 15 dpo HCG 355 Prog 30.9
Beta #2 22 dpo HCG 8147 Prog 18.8
Beta #3 29 dpo HCG 44580 Prog 29.8

Re: Talk to me about IUI like I'm 5

• Options
    IUI is a very simple process. You may or may not be medicated. You take the medications as directed. You may be told to do OPKs and come in the morning after your +, you may be told to do an HCG trigger shot and come in 36hrs following your shot. Whatever your protocol (those are just a couple scenarios) your H will go in and drop off a sample approx. 1-2hrs prior to your IUI. They will wash the seminal fluid from that sample, put it into a syringe with a small catheter attached to it- insert a speculum into your vagina, insert the catheter, shoot the sperm up into your uterus, and ask you to lay there for a few minutes. 

In some cases you will be given an option of doing a back to back IUI- which would mean you wash, rinse, repeat on the following morning. 

It's all very simple. Good luck. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Well honey, when a mommy and daddy love each other very much, sometimes they decide to have a baby.  And...well that's about all I've got because I'm an IUI dummy.  :)  I really just wanted to say good luck.  That's good to hear that the OB thinks IUI is a good route for you since IVF would be OOP.
    November 2010 - 10.5 week loss  o:) 
    October 2011 - DS (7)  <3 
    July 2014 - Stillborn DD (24 weeks)  o:) 
    August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 
    April 2018 - 5 week loss o:) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well honey, when a mommy and daddy love each other very much, sometimes they decide to have a baby.  And...well that's about all I've got because I'm an IUI dummy.  :)  I really just wanted to say good luck.  That's good to hear that the OB thinks IUI is a good route for you since IVF would be OOP.
    Thank you for the laugh.   ;))  I haven't been doing much of that lately and it was much needed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

m/c 05/2009
    DD born 8/9/10
    TTC #2 since 8/2012
    CP 12/2012
    dx MFI 10/2013
    Surprise BFP 11/6/2013  EDD 7/19/2014
    Beta #1 15 dpo HCG 355 Prog 30.9
    Beta #2 22 dpo HCG 8147 Prog 18.8
    Beta #3 29 dpo HCG 44580 Prog 29.8

• Options
    uagirl said:
    Thank you for the laugh.   ;))  I haven't been doing much of that lately and it was much needed.

Yay!  I'm happy to have helped.  Since Mrs Castillo was talking about washing seminal fluids...

What is a pirate's least favorite chore?  You might think it's washing the poop deck but it's really cleaning up all the sea-men.  ARRR!!!

Okay, I probably stopped while I was ahead.

November 2010 - 10.5 week loss  o:) 
    October 2011 - DS (7)  <3 
    July 2014 - Stillborn DD (24 weeks)  o:) 
    August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 
    April 2018 - 5 week loss o:) 

• Options
    IUI feels like a Pap smear :) that simple. If motility is your only issue - I'd say go with that vs. IVF. Doctors usually only give IUI three tries anyway.

Me: 27 DH: 33
    Married 6 years
    Conceived DS after 4 years of MFI

TTC # 2 (not trying,not preventing ever)
    May 2013 - August 2013 Timed Intercourse = BFN
    September 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs=BFN
    October 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs, and "warming foods" = BFP
    Beta #1 19, Beta #2 18 Progesterone 4.6 Miscarried 11/9/13
    November 2013 - Benched, waiting for first post-loss AF.
    No longer benched per New RE/OB!
    Jan. 15 2014 - BFP. HCG 3900 - Ectopic :( 
    Jan. 16 2014 Left tube removed and D&C
    March 2, 2014 First AF

• Options
    DH had a much worse SA than yours-I lurked-and we are doing IUI first. IVF is out of pocket for us as well so I think it can't hurt to try IUI since IVF may never be an option from a financial standpoint. Our doc says she will do 3 rounds of IUI and if it doesn't work she recommended we move on. She seems fairly confident. Plus I'm best friends with her bosses daughter so I don't think she would sell me something that didn't have a prayer to work. I say go for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"