May 2014 Moms

Is it safe to get a FLU shot? Help?

2»

Re: Is it safe to get a FLU shot? Help?

• My husband's company was offering free flu shots yesterday. I made a call to my doc just to be sure and got the all clear. The nurse administering the shots saw i marked i was pregnant and asked how far along I was and I said about 11 weeks. She literally stepped back like I had leprosy and said oh no no no. I said I have permission from my doc and she said then she can give it to you. Now I get to pay for it. I'm still grumpy.

Same thing happened to me at DD's pedi. It's definitely a liability thing. I got it from my OB instead.

That's my plan. No worries here.
  • Loading the player...
  • Would someone explain to me why it wouldn't be safe to get the flu shot (not spray)? I mean, seriously.
    BabyName Tickerimage  BabyFruit Ticker  
    DD born 2/3/03
    BFP 3/21/13 w/ EDD 12/02/13, C/P 3/29/13.
    BFP 9/18/13 w/ EDD 5/26/14,
    Beta #1 @ 14-16dpo = 375, progesterone 33.6
    Beta #2 @ 20-22 dpo = 8,782!
    Beta #3 @ 27-29dpo = 44,230, dx subchorionic hemorrhage/ threatened mc
    Beta #4 @ 29-31dpo = 72, 080 :)
    Grow, little one, grow!

***** All  AL  Welcome *****

• imageimageimage

But just to add that my doctor (and work) recommend I get the flu shot. My doctor says to ask for the one that is preservative free. I'll do that but it hasn't come in yet. I THINK the pres-free one is also mercury free? I admit I haven't researched it.

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• lv2011 said:
    Would someone explain to me why it wouldn't be safe to get the flu shot (not spray)? I mean, seriously.
    you do realise you've just opened yourself up to a tonne of tin foil hat, crackpot theories right? good luck!

*takes cover from the crazy*

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• I'm getting one just hadn't yet. FYI I thought it was a good question and the first time I have seen this post! :) I don't get on here all the time so thanks for asking I was kinda questioning it myself!! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • lv2011 said:
    Would someone explain to me why it wouldn't be safe to get the flu shot (not spray)? I mean, seriously.

• Empireceo said:
    spratt3 said:
    Good--let's all be supportive. That's the whole point of this whole birth club, surely.
    No, that is not the point of this board. As it has been mentioned on other topics and boards, this board is for entertainment and to make money.
    I'm not going to comment on this anymore. Just be nice to each other. That's all I have to say.
    Reaction GIF: oh you, eye roll, Jessica Walter, Lucille Bluth, Arrested Development
    Is there anything that Lucille is not an appropriate response to?

• ZiegefickerZiegeficker member
    edited October 2013
    It's safe and recommended, but there is a special shot they give pregnant women.  Can't remember exactly what's special about it, but maybe a PP mentioned it.  Anyway, if you're getting it through any means other than your doctor, be sure to indicate that you're pregnant.

Anyway, I got mine at my first prenatal appointment.  Easy peasy.

ETA -- @CopperPoppy got it -- It's the preservative-free version.  All the people who are not pregnant get all the sweet preservatives. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• pandadair said:
    Empireceo said:
    spratt3 said:
    Good--let's all be supportive. That's the whole point of this whole birth club, surely.
    No, that is not the point of this board. As it has been mentioned on other topics and boards, this board is for entertainment and to make money.
    I'm not going to comment on this anymore. Just be nice to each other. That's all I have to say.
    Reaction GIF: oh you, eye roll, Jessica Walter, Lucille Bluth, Arrested Development
    Is there anything that Lucille is not an appropriate response to?

Lucille Bluth is my spirit animal.
    Anniversary 
  • lv2011 If you have a serious egg allergy, or a history of guillain barre syndrome, or you're immunocompromised for some reason, then getting the flu shot is a bad idea.  I don't know of any other serious contraindication.  (pretty sure that's the right word.)
  • spratt3 said:
    looking at your recent comments, i'm starting to find your incessant desire for everyone to be nice to one another a tad bit creepy. 

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• It's actually recommended that both mom and dad-to-be get a flu shot.
  • lv2011lv2011 member
    edited October 2013
    awc1986 said:
    lv2011 said:
    you do realise you've just opened yourself up to a tonne of tin foil hat, crackpot theories right? good luck!

*takes cover from the crazy*

Yep
    >:)

I admit to wanting to see what the bullshit excuses are. (I would never say a legit reason that the real medical community says for avoiding it is b.s, just so we're clear.)

BabyName Tickerimage  BabyFruit Ticker  
    DD born 2/3/03
    BFP 3/21/13 w/ EDD 12/02/13, C/P 3/29/13.
    BFP 9/18/13 w/ EDD 5/26/14,
    Beta #1 @ 14-16dpo = 375, progesterone 33.6
    Beta #2 @ 20-22 dpo = 8,782!
    Beta #3 @ 27-29dpo = 44,230, dx subchorionic hemorrhage/ threatened mc
    Beta #4 @ 29-31dpo = 72, 080 :)
    Grow, little one, grow!

***** All  AL  Welcome *****

• lv2011 said:

Cause it's made from aborted babies! Duh!

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Would someone explain to me why it wouldn't be safe to get the flu shot (not spray)? I mean, seriously.
    But those are organic.

I thought that was the MMR vaccine? Oh, do you mean chicken babies? :D

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• rainydayluckrainydayluck member
    edited October 2013
    ho11yday said:

No, all vaccines are made from aborted babies and a sprinkle of evil thoughts from big pharma CEOs.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• ho11yday said:

No, all vaccines are made from aborted babies and a sprinkle of evil thoughts from big pharma CEOs.
    On that note: don't forget that Pepsi was flavored with aborted babies. Damn them all for colluding against us.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• My doctors office offers the flu shot without the preservatives like mercury. You can ask whether your doctors office might offer this as well.
  • ho11yday said:
    ho11yday said:

On that note: don't forget that Pepsi was flavored with aborted babies. Damn them all for colluding against us.
    I knew there was a reason I always preferred Coke.
  • My doctor said it's and absolute must for me because I have asthma. She also said that pregnant women get the flu ten times worse. She said to get the flu shot with no preservatives.
  • spratt3 said:
    I've said it before and I'll say it now- I love you

Right back at ya, sister friend.
    Anniversary 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"