Multiples
Options

Twins social delays?

Mine just turned 2 and have hard times being around lots of people or even at a Gymboree class without me :(. They cry and throw tantrums and I'm just worried about their social interaction and skills. They've always been home with me and they have a sibling whose a year and a half older. So they haven't really been able to do much. Should I be worried? It's like the whole Gymboree class of 2s are playing and mine are crying and grasping to me
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Twins social delays?

• Options
    My twins are a bit younger, so take what I have to say w/ a grain of salt, but it's possible that your babies are just a bit more sensitive than the others. When I take L to PT and there are other babies in the room, he has to sit back and take everything in before he can relax and play w/ the therapist.....and if the room is particularly crowded or noisy he gets really fussy. The same goes for big family reunions; I keep telling family members to not just grab the babies right away, but that they need to warm up to everything first or they'll melt down. I'm sure if they were in DC they'd be a lot more accustomed to this sort of thing, but I don't think it's necessarily getting in the way of learning social skills....and the same goes for your LOs. 2 is pretty young, and children have different timelines for social "milestones" too. I wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    Thank you!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I SAH with my twins and it always felt like everyone else had highly social, well-behaved kids in public, except me. I even put my kids in preschool right when they turned 3 b/c I thought they needed to learn to be around kids. But now that I look back I think of it this way. Kids in DC adjust to having changes of scenery and being around many kids/other caretakers early in life. It takes those kids time to adjust, but you don't see it at Gymboree b/c they're past that stage. Yours aren't yet and that's ok. My kids went through that adjustment at preschool and it took a few weeks but they're fine now. Plus some kids are just naturally shyer than others and there's nothing unusual or delayed about that. Are your kids fine around other people they know well? If so I wouldn't worry at all (even though I know it's annoying as all get out to have clingy kids when all you want them to do is make a friend and leave you in peace for 10 min). They just need to adjust to being in crazy busy places and that will happen as they encounter those places more often.
  • Options
    They are ok around family but if they don't know them real we'll they cry!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"