Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

depression

Never a fun topic to talk about but I'd love some other mama's personal experiences if you're willing to share them.  We have two lo's and after #2 I struggled with PPD and am still on the lowest possible dose of Lexapro to treat it.  Now for the real question, lol.  We are thinking about ttc #3. Did any of you battle with depression during pregnancy?  If so, what did you do to cope with it? Did it work? Generally, what was it like during pregnancy? Also, how was it post-partum?  I am aware most docs will advise against being on depression meds during pregnancy.  I tried to wean off of Lexapro a month ago and didn't like the mama I become.  I am looking for any and all alternatives...point me in any direction and I'll check it out! Thanks!!

Please, only gentle advice!  I'm just a mama trying to do what's best for our family...any my sanity.  :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: depression

• Options
    I took lexapro before I was pregnant. When I wanted to stop I started doing yoga a couple times a week. I also continued going to therapy and I made sure to be outside as much as possible. I was lucky enough for my depression to pretty much disappear when I got pregnant. A lot of my success came from positive thinking, exercise, and being outside. I believe that you ultimately have a say in how your depression affects you. I've been battling it all my life but it didn't start getting better until I actively made a point to change my outlook on life. 
    imageimageimage

• Options

Thank you so much for the advice!!  So encouraging to hear!  :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I too tried to wean off Lexapro before ttc #3. It made me physically sick and my anxiety was really bad. My ob put me on Wellbutrin during the pregnancy. It is one of the safer drugs to be on while pregnant. It didn't work as well as Lexapro but it did help. My LO was born healthy and I am back on Lexapro because I am not bf. I hope you find something that works for you. Good luck!
  • Options
    I stayed on Wellbutrin during pregnancy, then switched to Zoloft for breast feeding since there's not much research on Wellbutrin and BF but there is for Zoloft. If you're symptomatic without it, then you should talk to your doc about switching to a safer med for pregnancy, or staying on lexapro if that's an option (don't know the details of that drug). SSRIs tend to mildly increase the risk of a first tri miscarriage according to studies (not known how much of this is the drug vs other factors like residual depression symptoms etc) but besides that appear safe. Def talk to your doc about your options and take care of yourself with good diet, exercise, and social support.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • Options
    Thank you so, so much, ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"