February 2014 Moms

Using a friends breast milk

I was on another forum and came across a discussion about using someone else's Breast Milk. I never knew that so many women are considering this and I also never knew that they have Breast Milk Banks out there.

I guess I'm out of the loop! For me if I couldn't produce enough Breast Milk, I would probably just use baby milk. What are you thoughts ladies on this topic? Would you ever consider doing this?

Re: Using a friends breast milk

• HIV is passed on to children through breast milk... Never ever would I use someone else's milk. Sorry. Not being dramatic just realistic.
  • I would probably use a family member or close friend as long as I knew them WELL. I'm can honestly think of only 3 people who would fit into that category. Strangers, no way. Would consider milk bank for a preemie if I knew it was tested. FWIW, I'm no BF nazi. I combo fed both babies and will probably do the same this time as well- I think formula is great for those that need it but I do think BM is important for those first few weeks/mos when possible.

• Loading the player...
  • A girl I know actually posted about this on FB after she had her second. Apparently you go through testing and all but idk. It still seems sketchy. Like I would not ever. I know "breast is best" but if I can't provide then maybe it was meant to be for the baby to have formula... Everything happens for a reason. I can't fathom giving my baby liquid from someone else's body that I don't even know... It's gross to me.
  • The processing of breast milk for milk banks is more tedious than processing regular cow milk. (Testing for nutrients, pasteurization, etc.) It is a very safe product.
  • Most breast milk banks are run purely though donation and there is no incentive for a "junky" to bother with pumping, storage, and trying to pass the intense health screening tests required. 
    You can also have the milk tested yourself once it is in your possession. 
    WTH is "baby milk?" Do you mean formula, @babyhull4
    I assumed that was what she meant but I found the phrasing very odd too.

imageimage
  • armalan12 said:

One of my friends works at a milk bank and its super expensive. Its also hard to get. Usually they are prescribed for early babies whose mommas aren't producing.

And it's usually for babies who are sick or can't do formula for some reason, although moms who just want to avoid formula will request it as well.

image image
  • I would probably use a family member or close friend as long as I knew them WELL. I'm can honestly think of only 3 people who would fit into that category. Strangers, no way. Would consider milk bank for a preemie if I knew it was tested. FWIW, I'm no BF nazi. I combo fed both babies and will probably do the same this time as well- I think formula is great for those that need it but I do think BM is important for those first few weeks/mos when possible.

This is what I plan on doing as well! and I agree, I would use a family member or friend.  But probably not a strangers unless I had hard proof !
  • I considered using a friend's breast milk with my daughter because my milk dried up at about four months. I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as you get it from a trusted source.
  • Oh I didn't know that anyone was confused but yes baby formula. I normally say baby milk.
  • I do not know why but the idea grosses me out. I am very excited to BF my LO but if it doesn't work out I will use formula.
  • There was just an article about this in the NY Times - how most donated breastmilk is full of bacteria. I donated to a milk bank and had to go through lots of blood tests, and they still pasteurize it. Most of that milk goes to babies that have a medical need for it, and it's very expensive.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • L12541 said:
    There was just an article about this in the NY Times - how most donated breastmilk is full of bacteria. I donated to a milk bank and had to go through lots of blood tests, and they still pasteurize it. Most of that milk goes to babies that have a medical need for it, and it's very expensive.
    Well, to be fair, most of the world in general is full of bacteria. Bacteria can be found in formula, the water used to make it, on the bottle/nipple used to feed baby, on the breast of mom nursing, on the toy baby puts in her mouth, etc.

But yes, banked milk is also pasteurized for safety reasons same as every other commercially available milk in USA.  (I know that raw milk exists and is legal in some places/circumstances, but by and large the milk MOST people consume in US is pasteurized).

imageimage
  • I may be flamed for this....but I used some of my best friends breastmilk to fill in a "gap" when I didn't have enough frozen BM in my freezer. I was working way too much and I just fell behind. I didn't want to give formula, and to be honest, after a few months of exclusively giving breastmilk, I'm not sure DD would have taken formula.
    I've known my best friend for 20 years, and know she is clean :) She has been screened for milk donation herself....since she clearly could be a wet nurse.
    I've never really told anyone outside of DH because of the social stigma, but I didn't find it strange and either did he. Just trying to feed my baby the best way I knew how.
  • I wanted to BF this baby so bad because I just feel its best....but its just not an option this time around. My milk has to be dry before I can have RAI treatment for my cancer and after the treatment it is unusable because its contaminated.

My sister suggested a milk bank but it's just not something we could afford.

Because if your particular situation, I would look into it a bit more. (SS that you are!! 8-> ). I bet you could get breast milk at a much lower cost/through your insurance (maybe free?) because of your treatments. Just something to think about before paying for formula. :bz
  • I actually have volunteered for a milk bank on several occasions preparing milk for babies, so I obviously don't find milk banks 'icky.' As other PPs have said, receiving milk from a milk bank is completely safe. All mothers are tested, and the milk is pasteurized. The milk bank I volunteer for is a nonprofit that provides milk for babies that really NEED it, not just moms who want it. Primarily, this means babies of moms who can't breastfeed for various reasons and includes preemies, very ill babies, or babies with severe allergies. I don't think anyone can just 'buy it,' though I know those types of banks exist as well, just not in my area.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I've heard that some women sell BM on Craigslist. I find that totally gross! Milk banks I understand, but Internet random milk well no thanks!
    And I have heard that a big purchaser of this type of milk is body builder.  This I don't understand at all.

• Babyhull4 said:

Oh I didn't know that anyone was confused but yes baby formula. I normally say baby milk.

Curious, if you don't mind - where are you from? 
    I feel like we use a lot of really different slang/terminology from one another and I'm wondering if it's regional. 

I'm from Maryland
  • L12541 said:
    There was just an article about this in the NY Times - how most donated breastmilk is full of bacteria. I donated to a milk bank and had to go through lots of blood tests, and they still pasteurize it. Most of that milk goes to babies that have a medical need for it, and it's very expensive.
     Although most of the time its just fine a a great option for many families,  I was about to mentioned this article. 

I would definitely consider milk from someone close, but I probably would not use from a bank and would certainly NEVER get it from somewhere that wasn't a legit bank. 

So impressed with you ladies who have worked in milk banks, or are thinking about pumping for others- go you!

F'14 October Siggy Challenge: Animals in Costumes

• I really don't want to start a breastmilk vs. formula debate, because I believe both give mothers a great option, and there are many babies who thrive on formula.
    But, there have been several formula recalls recently after babies have become very sick and even died after consuming it. I can't find a single incidence of a baby becoming ill after consuming donated breastmilk from a milk bank.
    I believe using breastmilk from a reputable milk bank is very safe....so safe that many milk banks provide milk to NICUs.
  • @TyrannosaurusLex Maybe it's a family or a cultural thing...one state over from MD, and I've never heard formula referred to as baby milk.
    F14 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Fail
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have a friend who produces EXCESSIVE amounts of milk when she's nursing. A few years ago she had so much she offered to sell it to friends. Mutual friend wasn't producing enough and took her up on it. Later I was talking to mutual friend's husband about my DD not wanting to nurse anymore and so having to switch to formula. He said "Our daughter took breastmilk her entire first year!" Well, yeah, thanks to (friend), that's technically true. But seriously, no need to gloat! It's not my fault I had to use formula, nor is there anything wrong with it. Same guy who tells me he'd never buy a Prius, even though he loves everything about them, simply because "it's a Prius" and he's one of those jerks who makes fun of them constantly.

J. Jackson

Feb '14 March Siggy Challenge: Face Slaps

Daisypath - (SVGA)
    Lilypie - (xd4F)
    Lilypie - (jQcs)
  • sdlaurasdlaura member
    edited October 2013
    karich said:
    I really don't want to start a breastmilk vs. formula debate, because I believe both give mothers a great option, and there are many babies who thrive on formula. But, there have been several formula recalls recently after babies have become very sick and even died after consuming it. I can't find a single incidence of a baby becoming ill after consuming donated breastmilk from a milk bank. I believe using breastmilk from a reputable milk bank is very safe....so safe that many milk banks provide milk to NICUs.
    This is not true.  Babies have gotten sick recently from formula in other countries, like China, but it very rarely happens in the U.S.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • No true?? It took me less than a minute to find these instances through a google search.
    Also: where do you think infant formula is made?? There are manufacturing plants all over the world, it's not just made in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/features/cronobacter/?mobile=nocontent

https://articles.washingtonpost.com/2008-11-27/news/36808248_1_fda-spokeswoman-judy-leon-cyanuric-acid-melamine-in-baby-formula
  • The first article says that 4-6 infants were sickened in 2011, and the second article says nothing about babies in the U.S. getting sick.  It says:

"Leon said that the amounts discovered are safe and that parents should continue to feed formula to their children. "We know that trace levels do not pose a risk whatsoever," she said."

I just don't think that 4-6 infants in the past few years means that "there have been several recent formula recalls recently after babies became very sick and even died after consuming it."

I still see no evidence of that.  I BF my baby, but I think that statements like that about baby formula amount to fear-mongering.

• Fear mongering regarding formula wasn't my intention. I was forming an argument saying giving babies donated breastmilk from a milk bank was safe.
    IMO, no amount of melamine or cyanuric acid should be in infant formula.
  • What is interesting about some of the responses is that formula comes from a mammal (and formula has had it's on contamination problems in the past) as well and we have no problem using it if needed or as our first choice. But screened and tested breastmilk from a milk bank is icky pretty much. I'd go to an accredited milk bank before formula in my own case, but can understand how the mindset can be different from people. Fluid from humans= icky, but from cow teats is yummy! BTW, I'm not bashing cow juice, I love me some Greek yogurt.
    >Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My sister gave BM to my other sister when her baby refused to nurse. I found it a bit weird but the more I think about it the more I think it's a good idea. I think if it's a well-known, trustworthy doner then the recipient should feel good about it.

Also, my sister donated to a milk bank. According to my mom and dad, she produced more milk than a Holstein (we're from a long line of dairy farmers). I thought it was a neat thing for her to do.
  • VAMomma31 said:

@TyrannosaurusLex Maybe it's a family or a cultural thing...one state over from MD, and I've never heard formula referred to as baby milk.
    To each is own.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"