Pregnant after 35
Options

To Tubal or not to tubal? or.....?

Ugh. DH and I started this conversation last night. Well, he did.
I'll say up front, that I know I'm done with pregnancy after this little guy gets here. We have a desire to foster or adopt in the distant future. My body is. just. done.

But,
I've been having horrible, frequent, unpredictable AF's  and ovarian-area cramps for the past, well 2+ years. No fibroids or anything of the sort have shown on u/s, just a "typical size" cyst.   I'm just wondering what other permanent options are out there that might help me with those problems, without having to return to the GYN in 1-2 years for a hysterectomy.
My mother had a complete hys when she was 35 for similar problems, but that was back in 1984 and has had a tough time ever since getting HRT and all of that mess leveled out. She was quite a crazy mean roller coaster there for a few years, but lately she's mellowed.
I try not to read up on many things like this on Dr Google, and my dr appointment is next week, so I'd like to start discussing this with them.

FWIW: I'm hoping for a VBAC, as my OB stated very early in this pregnancy that I am a good candidate for one. However, their VBAC policy excludes induction but they will break my water if I've already dilated a good amount; no other intervention beyond that. So, unless this little guy gets where he needs to be and I dilate enough on my own, it's a good chance I'll end up in c/s.

Anyone else with info?
Thanks

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

Re: To Tubal or not to tubal? or.....?

• Options
    I had a Tubal, they made my periods horrible. Cramps were 10x worse then before, started having super heavy bleeding and got cysts all the time. As soon as I had the reversal my life changed for the better. Cramps almost nonexistent periods got a lighter.  I'm one of the few who reacted this way to the tubal.  I don't think they will help with your issues either.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    yeah, I didn't think a tubal would solve my main concerns, but I didn't think it could possibly make it worse. I'll ask the OB next week about any other options that could take care of both concerns. I really don't want to end up with another major procedure/surgery in a year if I could go ahead and do it during the c/s.   DH says he will get a vas if I decide not to go with the tubal. He is well aware of how crazy my cycles make me, and if he thinks it could make it worse, he's not gonna go there lol....  
    I'm going to look into a partial hys or whatever they may call it. Don't know if insurance would cover that.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Another thing you want to ask about  is the fail rate of getting a tubal at the time of c/s as too much swelling and other things going on.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    thanks for the advice, ladies!
    good points

• Options
    Some hospitals ,docs will not due any other surgical procedure during a c section as they only get reimbursed for one procedure from the insurance....
  • Options
    Some hospitals ,docs will not due any other surgical procedure during a c section as they only get reimbursed for one procedure from the insurance....
    good point.. I've got a list of questions regarding all of this for my OBs this Wednesday. I'll try to update here with what he/she tells me for anyone else on this see-saw decision...

• Options
    Update:
    Had a good appointment yesterday. I've been having a few possible BH or maybe the real thing, but nothing more than 1 or 2 a day. So I did get the "Slow it down" talk...
    anyway..
    My OB's still agree that I am a great candidate for a VBAC, as long as little dude cooperates.

If he does not and I have a c/s, they will agree to perform a tubal while I am on the OR table, if I so choose, but that is the only procedure they will do at that point, (unless, Heaven forbid, an emergency happens and, well, you know)

Options we discussed:
    If I am able to go the VBAC route, they suggest Essure for a later date, which can be done without surgery, and it appears as though my insurance would cover it due to new coverage laws. This is where your tubes are blocked, but no incision necessary.

OR If I have the tubal and still need relief from miserable periods/cramps, they offer ablation, which is also a non-surgical procedure. Some women may also go with this choice if they go with Essure and still having problematic cycles.

Further down the road, if these do not work, I can consider partial hysterectomy as a last resort, of choice.  They really discourage major surgery, if at all possible.

I've just started doing the research on these options. Hopefully one of these options will work for my needs depending on the route I have to take for delivery.

Thanks for the input, ladies!

• Options
    I was thinking about the tubal ligation until I heard about PTLS. Being that I'm one that has suffered from panic disorders and depression, I just don't think I'll do will with it. I've heard not too great stories from so many people.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"