Secondary IF
Options

HSG v SIS Question

Ok my all-knowing cyber buddies, riddle me thing...

If I had an SIS and they injected the saline into my tubes.  And my tubes expanded and they saw the saline flood the tubes.  What's the purpose of an HSG then?
<3 Baby #1 BFP 6/10/2011-EDD 2/19/2012-DS Born 2/10/2012!
:'(  CP BFP 1/6/2013-EDD 9/19/2013-CP 1/9/2013
<3 Baby #2 BFP 1/3/2014-EDD 9/12/2014 -DD Born 9/10/2014!
<3 Baby #3 BFP 7/8/2018-EDD 3/17/2019-Team Green!

Re: HSG v SIS Question

• Options
    From my understanding an SIS is to saline to check your uterus and cervix. And HSG is dye they run through your tubes to see if they are opened or what is going on in the tubes. Two totally different things. I had both. 

Anyone correct me if I am wrong? 

• Options
    Well.. I had no idea they put the saline into your tubes? That is interesting. I had a SIS done, and no fluid went into my tubes at all- that is just to make sure there are no abnormalities in your uterus. 

The HSG uses dye, and an xray. Idk. Your Dr. is pretty fancy. Why are they saying you need an HSG anyway? If they already saw your tubes open with some saline? That is weird. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    She definitely put the saline into my tubes.  She told me before she did it and I actually got to watch them both expand.  She did a direct shot into both - crazy!  

• Options
    So who is telling you to do the HSG? I'm guessing the dye is just more effective at ruling out any issues with the tubes. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No one is telling me to do the HSG - sorry if it sounded like someone was telling me that. I am familiar with the HSG process and was curious what the difference is - if they can inject saline into your tubes during an SIS, why is the HSG needed?

• Options
    My understanding is, they're not supposed to inject the saline into your tubes. So just because they "can inject saline" doesn't mean they should have, you know? That's why there are 2 different procedures. 

I had the HSG done first, so IDK. The thing is, the dye actually goes into your uterus first- so technically they could already see in the xray there were no abnormalities in my uterus, but I still had to have a SIS to rule that out anyway. 

They're not actually saying you need the HSG done now anyway, so you should just cross that bridge when you get to it. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This was really a curiosity question, not psyching myself up for the next step... I'm hoping I'm good to go.

They said I have no abnormalities in my uterus, they saw that during the SIS and then watched the saline go into my tubes.

• Options

My SIS was strictly focused on my uterus... Because I am able to get pregnant, but not carry a viable pregnancy to term there was no reason to aggravate or focus on my tubes. She did say that in the future, it could be something we will look at though. Maybe they did the HSG but did not use a dye... Idk, Because the SIS is totally different than an HSG.

Anyway, Good luck :)

• Options
    Okay I was about to make a new post with this exact same title, so I figured I should just ask on this thread and hope someone answers. 

Realizing that these are two different tests that tell you different things, if you had to choose just one to have done, which would you choose?

We are probably just going to get one and see from there. The RE told us while he highly doubts they will find anything, he recommends we have both done... but then said after that since we are OOP we should at least have one done. Kind of confusing, but DH is wanting to just do one for now. I'm trying to decide which one will be most helpful in finding issues at this point.

Any advice, anyone? Sorry @Sweetest116 not trying to hijack your thread. ;)

I would think that the HSG would be more beneficial... The SIS was pretty basic from what I gathered from mine. But if the HSG focuses more on the Tubes, and not at all on the uterus... then both? I guess it depends on your history. For me, I can get pregnant.. but it doesn't stick. Leaving my doctor to believe blocked tubes were not an issue (right now), So she just wanting to see if I had anything going on in my uterus. If I was unable to conceive she would have done the HSG. I couldn't tell you what all an HSG does other than it checks tube with dye, I don't know the details on it. This seems like a crappy answer, lol... Hopefully you get what im trying to say though :)
  • Options
    From what mine were HSG gave them an idea of the tubes, and the SIS looked for abnormalities or cysts in my uterus.   So like @+SouthernMomma+ said, if you are having any problems getting pregnant, go with HSG.  
    Also side note, we are 100% OOP for IVF, but my insurance covered both of those procedures. You may want to check, I had to do a copay for the HSG and then I paid a small amount for the SIS.  I should say insurance covered most of it. 

• Options
    pettycrockerpettycrocker member
    edited October 2013
    Okay I was about to make a new post with this exact same title, so I figured I should just ask on this thread and hope someone answers. 

Realizing that these are two different tests that tell you different things, if you had to choose just one to have done, which would you choose?

We are probably just going to get one and see from there. The RE told us while he highly doubts they will find anything, he recommends we have both done... but then said after that since we are OOP we should at least have one done. Kind of confusing, but DH is wanting to just do one for now. I'm trying to decide which one will be most helpful in finding issues at this point.

Any advice, anyone? Sorry @Sweetest116 not trying to hijack your thread. ;)
    I agree with southernmomma ^ I'd go with the HSG. Loads of people get pregnant (and maintain a pregnancy) with uterus abnormalities, but if your tubes are blocked- you're not getting pregnant at all. Plus- there is an increased rate of pregnancy the 2 cycles following an HSG- I don't know the exact %, but I remember my OB said "significantly higher" in reference to pregnancy rates. 

The SHG/SIS is really more for IVF anyway, it helps them determine where they would place an embryo for a transfer (if you were dealing with any abnormalities). I remember the RE specifically said to me "We just have to do this (SIS) in case you decide to move forward with IVF in the future- so I don't think it's a test they push on everyone, but the HSG is pretty common in the beginning stages of testing. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @TicketTuesday was it you who mentioned that the ins would cover your testing if it was done through the OB? Sorry if that was someone else. 

I hope you can get some coverage, the HSG was like 3k for a test that literally took 2mins. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Mrs Castillo, that WAS me but it was unfortunately not the case - they wouldn't cover an HSG or an SA. However it would have been cheaper through the OB by a couple hundred. For OOP from the RE it will be $450. (I'm sure if insurance covered it the RE would probably bill 3k since insurance companies only pay a portion they ask for). With just the preliminary testing (ultrasound, blood work, HSG, and SA) it will come out to almost $2k for us. Super awesome.
    Ohhhhhhh! That makes sense, I never even really thought about it like that. I go to a GP that takes people with no ins. and he charges $50 for those people and gives them any meds they need for free- but then when people have insurance (me) I pay a $25 copay- he bills like $900 for the visit, and I have to pay another copay for my meds which are like another $900 LOL go figure. But that's great that they are being so reasonable with the pricing since you are OOP. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"