Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Bassinet vs Rock N Play Sleeper

kristynlee710kristynlee710 member
edited October 2013 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Hi new moms! I'm 33 weeks pregnant and I have been totally set on using the Fisher Price rock n play sleeper beside our bed instead of a bassinet. We got one as a shower gift and I have had great feedback from friends with babies. We took a newborn care and safety class, as this is our first, and the instructor who is an RN said she would not recommend it bc of the slight incline as it will keep our LOs legs scrunched up as opposed to her being able to stretch out. Now I'm second guessing the sleep situation. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Re: Bassinet vs Rock N Play Sleeper

• Used it with my first for the first couple months and am using it again with my second. Not sure what the issue is about being scrunched up. The way they lay in it its almost like a swaddle. They are curled up. Guess I haven't heard any one say that's bad. After my first moved to his crib I used it in the bathroom when I was getting ready for work so I got a lot of use out of it.
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• We have used the RnP since she was a week old. The scrunching isn't an issue, she slides around how she wants to sleep but can lay in it straight legged. You can also swaddle her straight legged and have her in there, just buckle over it. We LOVE the RnP. It's easily moved so we just slide it around the house. It also helps with her reflux. 

Most importantly- relax. I found that the first couple weeks I found myself constantly thinking, "so and so said not to do that, so and so said to do this." Nope, find what works for you. Use common sense and you will be fine. We were stressing trying to follow everyone else's guidelines, as soon as we found what worked for us- we've been in a much better place! Good luck and t&p for a smooth delivery!
    A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
  • Loading the player...
  • We used both the RNP and bassinet for the first 5 weeks of LO's life. The RNP was for daytime naps only and the bassinet was for nighttime sleep. LO's been in her crib for both naps and nighttime sleep since 5 weeks, but we occasionally use the RNP for when we need to set her down and do something around the house.
  • I have read some iffy things about them. So I chose not to use them with my sons.

Lots of parents rave about them though!
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• MosyMama said:
    I researched this and read that the RnP isn't safe for overnight sleeping because the incline causes babies' heads to slump forward or to the side, as they don't have the strength or coordination to hold themselves upright, which can compress their respiratory organs and increase the risk of SIDS. I know a lot of parents use them, and I think it's a personal comfort thing, but I decided not to risk it.

This! Im way too paranoid to risk it! Flat on the back only for us! I do have a RnP and love it. We just use it for day time naps.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • MosyMama said:

I researched this and read that the RnP isn't safe for overnight sleeping because the incline causes babies' heads to slump forward or to the side, as they don't have the strength or coordination to hold themselves upright, which can compress their respiratory organs and increase the risk of SIDS.

I know a lot of parents use them, and I think it's a personal comfort thing, but I decided not to risk it.

I considered using the RnP for nighttime, due to limited floor space in our bedroom. I poured over the instruction booklet and NOWHERE does it state that the product is safe for extended periods of sleep. I didn't feel comfortable with that. So we used it with DS1 as an infant seat and occasionally for naps. I love it for those purposes! Plus, I've heard of moms having a real heck of a time transitioning LOs out of the RnP to a crib.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I've never had a RnP but I do use a bassinet - it works great for us and LO loves it :)
    Lilypie - (wpJS)

Kelsey Johnston's photo.  image  image 
    Lilypie - (6yLP)

• We tried the bassinet the first few nights home. LO woke every 30 min, he spit up and I was exhausted. i never intended on using the RnP for sleep but after seeing multiple threads with people praising them we switched to the RnP and he started sleeping 3-6 hrs at night. I plan to start transitioning back to the bassinet so going to the crib won't be a big leap. He is 4 wks so we have a little time to work on it.
  • Thanks for all the feedback! I think we are going to opt for a bassinet to start for safety reasons and use the RnP for naps.
  • If your kid can sleep flat on their back then that's probably the best way to go.  However, if your kid pukes every time he or she is laid flat on their back, then the rock n play is a great alternative - to the bouncey seat or swing, or in some cases even the car seat.   I don't know why their head would slouch forward in the rock n play.  Sure, that happens in the swing, bouncey seat, or car seat, but DS sleeps in a RnP now because of his reflux and his neck is straight.  No slumping.  There's a piece of plastic under the part they sleep on to keep it straight so it's not like they're sinking down into it.  
  • I am the minority I guess. DD is 3 months on 10/31. She hated the bassinet, sttn 6-7 hours straight in RnP

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

photo 995494_10201874634251509_2140837568_n_zps100d4b3e.jpg  photo 1233578_10201874636811573_1262884022_n_zps62dd524f.jpgphoto 1238881_10201874631771447_929239698_n_zpsee784c85.jpg

• What kind of magical newborns do some of you have that you're getting "extended periods of sleep"? We used the RnP beside our bed overnight for the first four weeks or so, with the crib and PnP for naps during the day. And at that point, she was still waking up every three hours to eat. Now she sleeps in the PnP for 9-10 hours and we only use the RnP during the day.
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • MynaBird said:

What kind of magical newborns do some of you have that you're getting "extended periods of sleep"? We used the RnP beside our bed overnight for the first four weeks or so, with the crib and PnP for naps during the day. And at that point, she was still waking up every three hours to eat. Now she sleeps in the PnP for 9-10 hours and we only use the RnP during the day.

Some people use the RnP for longer than 4 wks. DS1 slept in our room (in a PnP) until he was 8 mo and was STTN at 6 wks. That would have included plenty of long stretches of sleep.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • MynaBirdMynaBird member
    edited October 2013
    Some people use the RnP for longer than 4 wks. DS1 slept in our room (in a PnP) until he was 8 mo and was STTN at 6 wks. That would have included plenty of long stretches of sleep.
    Yeah, I get that. But if you're buying a RnP anyway to use during the day and your only concern about using it at night is the long stretches of sleep, I don't see any reason not to use it at night as long as they're still waking frequently.
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • warning on this sleeper!  read these:
     Negative Amazon Reviews
     Consumer complaint board
    my friend's baby now has torticolis and has to wear a helmut 23 hours a day for a few months

• maelicmaelic member
    Our pedi said to use the RNP for sleeping if it worked for baby, so that's what we're doing.

He explained that the increased SIDS risk is, in aggregate, minuscule.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • he sleeps in the rnp or snugababy swing. yes he swings all night, well between feedings. i hope i can break him of this easily

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• roo1ooroo1oo member
    Used the RnP for my LO from day 1 until he was 4 months old. I'm pretty sure it was 1/2 the reason he was such a good sleeper. He did develop a bit of a flat spot on the back of his head, which is really common for babies who sleep overnight in the RnP or carseat. Lots of tummy time helped keep it from getting bad, and he only slept in the RnP overnight, did naps in the swing. Now at 7 months the flat spot is nearly gone. If you're worried about this, keep an eye on the shape of LOs head and make a change if you see it happening. Most babies get flat spots no matter what they sleep in/on.

As a mom who has been there, go with whatever works for you and your baby. You may make a decision now, but be flexible when you're in the thick of the first month or two and need baby to sleep more than 30 minutes at a time. Some people let their babies sleep overnight in carseats because thats where they sleep best. Lots of people use swings. I used a RnP and so do many other moms. I know this doesn't mean a RnP is "safe" for overnight sleeping, but you will probably care a lot less what is the safest option and care more about what option works when you've had 3 hours of broken sleep every day for a week. 

I will also say that if I had to do it over again, I would probably put LO in a pack n play or in his crib from the beginning. I had a not-so-fun time getting him to transition to the crib because he was used to sleeping in that crunched slightly inclined position and slept really well in it. It took a week of hard work but he got into the crib and actually loves it now. The next one I will probably just start in the crib, or in the pack n play bassinet. 
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • flclflcl member
    Hi, congrats on the pregnancy!  I'm a FTM and we bought the travel crib by Nuna.  DH and I looked at a LOT of bassinets and am so glad that we went with the larger travel crib.  (We got the travel crib instead of a bassinet or RNP b/c we thought it would be great at home or on the road.)  LO ended up being a really BIG baby and would have outgrown his bassinet within that first week so I'm glad we didn't waster our money on a bassinet.  LO is 15.5lbs, 25.5 inches and there is still plenty of space in there for him.  GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"