Multiples
Options

chances of having multiples

Hi.

This is my first post on the bump.  I will be trying to conceive in a few months and were wondering if anyone knew what the chance of having multiples myself were if... I'm a twin, my husband is a twin, and my father in law has another set of twins (my husband's brother & sister).  I am feeling no certain way... happy if the chances are high, happy if they are not.  Just wondering if this had anything to do with conceiving twins myself.

Re: chances of having multiples

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Husbands side has nothing to do with twins. Also depends on if you are an identical or fraternal. Identical is a random act to nature has nothing to to with genetics. Fraternal is something passed down from the maternal side. Your DH could have 123 sets of twins in his family and be one himself still won't effect your ovaries (hyper ovulation to conceive fraternals) and Identicals like i said above a random act of nature. Unless you are a fraternal it's about a 3% chance. Otherwise I believe it is a 10% chance I could be incorrect on those numbers though. Either way GL with TTC hope it's a short successful journey for you both and once you get that BFP a very happy and healthy 9 to you an baby(ies) :)!

Together 6 wonderful years.
    TTC #1 18 months 1 loss DX unexplained IF-- BFP July 2009-- ITS A BOY
    TTC #2 3 years and 3 losses DX PCOS -- BFP April 2013-- TWIN BOYS!
    ~DS1-Feb 2010~ 
    ~DS2&3- Nov 2013  {7 weeks early}~ TTC #4~
  • Options
    Your chances are definitely increased if you yourself are a fraternal twin as its the mother who carries the twin gene. The fact your husband is also a twin is just ironic and fun.

I'm a fraternal twin and my husband is a fraternal twin and are expecting fraternal twins. Everybody makes the comment, 'Well of course you would have twins if you're both twins!' - Not the case, but it's certainly a conversation starter!

Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What they all said. GL! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"