3rd Trimester

Full Term pregnancy is at least 39 weeks

Re: Full Term pregnancy is at least 39 weeks

• That's awesome! It needed to happen.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • This is great! I was induced for medical reasons at 37 weeks, and my 7lbs son had to be intubated and given safacturant as he was very sick... I thought everything would be fine because he was "full term"
  • Loading the player...
  • I've heard stories from a number of women try to induce their own labor or push for a c/s because they hit 37 weeks and think the pregnancy should be done since that anything past that (or even reaching 39/40) is overdue. I had DD at 40 weeks 1 day and my twins were delivered for medical reasons at 37 weeks. Even though we didn't end up in NICU with the boys, they had trouble breathing and failure to thrive so we had an extended hospital stay. Hopefully it'll help clarify things for new moms. I'm so thankful that my hospital won't allow elective inductions or c/s before 39 weeks, but unfortunately there are doctors who will.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
  • I wonder what it is now for twins? I know "full term" for twins was considered 36 weeks; it would make sense for that to change too, but I wonder by how much? 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image
  • From what my OB and MFM said (before this change in definition), twins are considered full term at 37 weeks. It could change, but I kind of doubt it will alter how they handle multiple pregnancies since recent studies are showing increased risks, especially with mo-di's and mo-mo's, after 37 or 38 weeks.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"