December 2011 Moms
Options

How particular are you

When it comes to your children's gifts?

I start this saying I'm not an ungrateful b*tch. But, I tend to be very particular and I don't think it's normal. When people ask for suggestions and don't buy what I gave for ideas, I get so frustrated that I even wasted my breath. I guess it's more because I give away ideas that I would buy for him myself, and get upset that I struggled to find other things that he would like just as much. I guess my question is, what do you tell people that aren't going to buy what you gave as ideas?

Re: How particular are you

• Options
    This is so my in laws!!! This year I just said he likes books, puzzles, cars, animals and 2t clothes. That way they have direction but I didn't give them any of my specific ideas.

Agree I'm grateful for anything, but don't ask me for ideas if you aren't going to use them!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That's annoying, I pretty much have a good idea of what my family is going to buy them and last year they were all really good about buying stuff off his wish list. Maybe that would help so they don't go too crazy and get a bunch of other stuff.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Usually my friends and family ask me "would J like x,y,z?" And I will tell them yes or no. I don't usually give specifics though. I say "he likes Mickey Mouse, footballs and he wears a 3t" and let them go from there.. That being said, I don't care what people get him.. I believe they're shopping with the best intentions.
  • Options
    designer303designer303 member
    edited October 2013
    So my dh's family will not listen at all and it does does drive me nuts. We live in a 1200 sq ft condo and I swear my MIL goes out and finds the biggest toys she can lay hands on even though I am always telling her that we have no extra space and to please not buy G big presents. I end up trying to cram these big toys in our house or leaving them at my mom's and its just ridiculous. Then we have other family members that insist on buying toys that are about 4 years too old for G and now I have to find somewhere to store then for the next 4 years... this is what drives me crazy.

TTC#1 May 2009- July 2010 on our own with no luck

Started with RE in August 2010, dx with unexplained IF and then finally our 3rd IUI cycle using Follistim and Trigger resulted in our wonderful little man.  Born 12/2/11

TTC#2 Never really prevented, but were careful early on as Dr. reccomended

Surprise BFP 12/16/13, started progesterone immediately as first numbers came back low, but betas were good.  Progesterone wasnt enough. Natural MC 12/24/13.

Back with RE as of January 2014...

5/27/14- Chemical Pregnancy :(

April 2015 IVF#1

5/13/15- BFP, please stick LO!

Oh and I'm a major Harry Potter Nerd :)

Silly mugglesimage

• Options
    My family buys what I tell them. My MIL doesn't ask. Last Christmas she gave DD a toy to "help her crawl". She had been crawling for 4+ months.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I usually give general ideas, not specifics. For example, DD1 like princesses, dress-up clothes, and books. DD2 likes baby dolls, Minnie Mouse, and books. I always tell people books because my girls really do love them and I feel like we could never have too many.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I tell my mom and sister exactly what he wants/needs. My sister has 2 kids and totally gets it. My mom does not get offended at this at all. The only request I make to in-laws is toys with no batteries please. He has sooooo many things that have lights and noise and I just hate it.
  • Options

This one is a double-bind...  Quite honestly, I HATE it when I'm told exactly (I.e. "Lego Red Ninja <specific to the package>") what I can get for kids.  I like getting general categories and depending on how things are financially, decide what *I* want to spend!  We do Christmas lists for my side of the family and it's great because it gives people a chance to figure out what they want or don't want to get the kids.  It also gives them a vibe for what you like/don't like.  I've been trying to convince SIL to start doing this, but she's anti Christmas list...

I should also add that I don't typically buy off of registries either.  It's great they want a specific fondue pot, but if there's one that's higher quality, lower price, and easier to use, that's the one they're getting...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I usually just tell them what DS likes a lot at that moment. I just told someone in my family that he is really into cars/trucks, trains and coloring right now. So now they can find something they want to give him and I can still get him what I want. :-)
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Options
    People usually don't ask me, which is fine, but I always ask parents for ideas and always pick something that they have suggested.  I can understand being frustrated if you're avoiding picking presents that you've suggested to other people.  Maybe you could wait and shop until after opening presents from others?  I know that probably won't work as they get older, though. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    -T--T- member
    I think I will stick to books and puzzles and give his size. DH's grandma has a problem with looking at kids clothes and just buying a size up because it all looks so small. I'm just going to buy him what I want and not give away my good ideas!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"