May 2012 Moms
Options

Life since Hurricane Sandy

We were able to get insurance and a fema loan and were able to fix everything ruined by Sandy floods. However, of our five immediate surrounding houses we currently only have one neighbor. There is one more but they are snow birds so they're in Florida now. One landlord is still rebuilding but he has a record of not being selective with tenants and the last four families were criminals (breaking into neighborhood houses, fights on their front lawns, etc.) and the two remaining good neighbors are not rebuilding. We a trying to stay optimistic but it is so difficult to be here and the odds of being able to sell are slim to none.

Anyone else affected by the storm still log into the bump? How are you doing?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Life since Hurricane Sandy

• Options
    I'm in Indiana so I cannot relate but just wanted to say that I'm so sorry you went through that. Hopefully you get some good neighbors this time around! 
  • Options
    So glad you were able to fix everything. We were not hit too bad where we are located in PA. My dad is still fighting some insurance issues from trees falling on a building he owns. He stored classic cars in there and he lost a few valuable ones. However, insurance is giving him a hard time on paying out what they owe. However, that is small potatoes compared to losing homes. 

I can't believe that it will be a year already. 

I feel you on being stuck in your home. It doesn't look like we will be able to sell for a couple of years yet due to the market in our area. Fingers crossed we can both get out of homes sooner rather then later. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm on the west coast but I'm glad to hear that you were able to repair your home. I can't even imagine what that would have been like!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

• Options
    Our area was devestated by the 2011 floods after Irene we were lucky but just a block away on either side there are 40 houses that will be demolished this fall and next spring. And so many more bought out by downstate landlords it's so sad!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    I live in Southern Monmouth County. We were fortunate not to have any real damage to our home but I work in Manasquan and many of my customers lost everything. It was very sad the weeks and months following Sandy when customers would come in to purchase winter clothing or shoes and many of them would tell us their stories and get emotional. We are still seeing customers coming in nearly a year later who still have no permanent "home" to speak of.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"