Parenting

Young Children and Fancy Restaurants WDPT

So, we are invited to eat at a really nice restaurant Saturday evening for DH's grandmother's birthday.  Like a dress code kinda place.  So, Ollie is invited, but I've asked my parents to watch him because I don't think it's a place for young children.  While he is usually really good when we eat out I have a fear that this will be that time he isn't.  My MIL wants us to birng him though.  WDPT? 

Also, she says we should be in a seperate room with just our party.

Lilypie - (gu1R)
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Young Children and Fancy Restaurants WDPT

• If you guys are in your own room I say go for it!

Now if you are going to be in the general dining room then I say go with your sitter.

• Yeah, if we are definitely in a seperate room it would probably be fine.  I also kinda agree with @Mom2Oli and would like to enjoy my fancy dinner since it doesn't happen often.  Then I may be left feeling guilty for leaving him behind when the rest of the family will be going.  My SIL is bringing her 1 yo, so he wouldn't be the only little kid.  IDK.......
     Lilypie - (gu1R)

• Loading the player...
  • I don't know, I guess it really depends on your kid.  If you are separate and he's usually good, I might go for it.  Since your MIL wants him there, she can deal with him if he acts up!  :)
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I think it's ok to take him if the room is separate, but I personally wouldn't bring him if I were you so you have more of a chance at relaxing and enjoying yourself.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                         DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • Nechie122Nechie122 member
    edited October 2013
    The only thing that would give me pause is that at those sorts of restaurants, meals can be a 2+ hour affair, especially with a lot of people. My DD can sit nicely for an hour, but for a whole formal dinner, that would be pushing it. That said, if the room is private and your LO could get up without disturbing anyone and it wouldn't interfere with bedtime, I would consider it. You'll have lots of hands to help distract him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah, it won't be as enjoyable with him there I'm sure.  I also worry about the length of time we will be there.  I'm leaning toward bringing him if we do have a seperate room, but I reserve the right to change my mind. 

I'm also worried about what he'll eat.  There are no chicken tenders and french fries on the menu.......

Lilypie - (gu1R)

• I would bring him if it is truly in a separate room.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

photo 995494_10201874634251509_2140837568_n_zps100d4b3e.jpg  photo 1233578_10201874636811573_1262884022_n_zps62dd524f.jpgphoto 1238881_10201874631771447_929239698_n_zpsee784c85.jpg

• My instinct is to say no, but if the Guest of Honor wants him there, he should probably attend.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • IDK @LuckyDad, the guest of honor is his 90 something year old great-grandmother.  My MIL wants his to come, but my IL's also have crazy expectations about how little kids should behave.  For example, sometimes Oliver ignores questions directed to him.  To me, he's just being 3, but they get their panties in a bunch over it.  So I'm also afraid they are going to expect him to be talkative and outgoing with a large group of people, some of which he doesn't really know.  And that is probably not going to happen. 

Wow, I went off on a tangent there.  Sorry.

Lilypie - (gu1R)

• If you aren't comfortable, don't do it.

But I think you'll be fine, especially if you're in a separate room.  Bring the ipad or toys or whatever you think will entertain him if things go south.  I have no problems enjoying fancy dinners when B tags along.  But that might be because I'm a huge AW and enjoy showing off my nicely-dressed kid whenever possible.

• @scoutkate

Yeah, I do love to dress him up and show him off.  So there's that.  Ugh, I just don't know.  When the twins were little this wasn't an issue.  They would be going to a sitter, no doubt.  Poor Ollie might end up feeling left out though.

Lilypie - (gu1R)

• Yeah, I say go without him. Let your MIL come visit some other time.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • @LuckyDad Yeah, MIL sees him all the time.  She watches him every Friday.  I think she just wants to show him off.  Anywho, like some of the others have stated, if he started acting up I'd be the one dealing with it. 
     Lilypie - (gu1R)

• @Libby1978 I agree with PPs, everyone wants the kids around til they start melting down and then you'll be on your own...

Could your parents bring him to the restaurant for dessert?

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• @Iarkin220

A date night is a nice thought, but our 2 older children will be with us for sure.  They are 15, so we don't really have a legitimate excuse to leave them at home.  haha

Lilypie - (gu1R)

• speer06 said:
    If y'all are going to be separate and he's usually good, I'd bring him.
    While I agree with this, it would probably also be nice for you guys not to have to parent and actually get to enjoy your nice dinner. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited October 2013
    We have brought Reese to fancy restaurants. Usually she does pretty good. I do bring more activities for her. When we go to a restaurant we definitely make it before she is too hungry or too tired. Fancy restaurants=Ipad back up. She never gets the iPad in the restaurant unless we are at a place where we know we won't be in and out quickly. 

I definitely would go. He may surprise you :)

Plus my daughters favorite food is mashed potatoes--which is ALWAYS on the menu at fancy restaurants. 

Obviously we don't take her often but she has been to 3 different fancy restaurants.
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Idk how old your lo is (I'm on mobile so I can't see I guess) but I know my ds at almost two couldn't sit through a long sit down dinner. When he was 8 months or younger, I would've taken him but once he became mobile, no. I think it may be nice for you and your husband to have a baby free meal too.
  • shadypinesshadypines member
    edited October 2013

I would go without the kid. :) Enjoy your fancy dinner @libby1978 you deserve it. Especially after the last week....

ETA-made you a year older!! lolol

• If I had a sitter, I'd be like "peace out, kid". ;)

If I didn't, I'd pack his Happy Meal, crayons, toys, LeapPad, a shitton of snacks, (and a Xanax for myself). 

Either way, enjoy! Sounds yummy!

• We've taken DS to many nice restaurants. We are awesome at parenting (sarcasm) so we bring the iPad. He is really good at restaurants and he just eats off our plate. He gets the iPad if it's an emergency. None of our local close friends have children and we can't always find a sitter. So he comes with us. We also love adult
    Time too though so I don't think you can go wrong here either way. That said, he's never gone to so fancy you must wear a jacket restaurant either but definitely to some rather nice, he's the only kid there kind of places.
  • I wouldn't take him.  I am anti kid at fancy restaurants.  I don't take my kids to any restaurant that isn't family friendly and noisy so that if my kids make some noise, no one can here them.  My kids are usually really good in restaurants, but we have had the occasional time when they weren't.

I just feel that most people go to fancy restaurants to have some adult time without kids and it isn't considerate to the other patrons - regardless of how well your kid is behaved.  I say leave him with your sitter and enjoy some adult conversation and being able to eat your food/drink your wine in peace.
    imageimageimageimage
  • azzyberry said:

I wouldn't take him.  I am anti kid at fancy restaurants.  I don't take my kids to any restaurant that isn't family friendly and noisy so that if my kids make some noise, no one can here them.  My kids are usually really good in restaurants, but we have had the occasional time when they weren't.

I just feel that most people go to fancy restaurants to have some adult time without kids and it isn't considerate to the other patrons - regardless of how well your kid is behaved.  I say leave him with your sitter and enjoy some adult conversation and being able to eat your food/drink your wine in peace.
    I do tend to fall into the camp of "if you can afford $200 (or more!) for dinner, you can afford $60 for a sitter."

That said, DH and I went out to dinner at a nice place last weekend and there was a little boy about 7 dining with his mom; he was wearing a little jacket and bow tie and it was so sweet. My hope is that once DD is past the toddler stage, we'll be able to take her those sorts of places. We travel a lot and I won't do a sitter in a strange city/ country.

The mere presence of a well-behaved child doesn't bother me -- but I know some people don't even like to SEE kids in certain establishments.

• Nechie122Nechie122 member
    edited October 2013

To me, 7 is past the "little kid" stage.

Yeah, PP didn't specify. She said "anti-kid," not anti-little kids. And older kids can be disruptive too.
  • Based on your follow up posts I'm with the "leave him with a sitter and enjoy a fancy dinner" camp.
  • DH and I talked about it more last night.  We are definitely leaving Oliver at home.  He would be fine for a little while, but we are going to be with a large party and I anticipate being there for a few hours.  There is no way he will sit for that long.  I'm just going to enjoy myself and not have to worry about watching my little kid.  The teens will be fine and they probably won't even sit by me.  SCORE!

Lilypie - (gu1R)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"