TTC after 35

Watched video on doing shots...shouldn't have

So I was checking out the Freedom website for meds and they had videos on how to do the PIO and Lupron shots....ugh...I feel sick. How the hell am I going to do deal with this :(

I know everyone has to do them but I'm such a baby!! Maybe I can take a valium each time? JK....

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
     image   imageimage

Re: Watched video on doing shots...shouldn't have

• Crap. Wish I didn't see this. I start my IM injections tomorrow
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Crap. Wish I didn't see this. I start my IM injections tomorrow

You can do it! I'm a whimpy wimp! GL :)

Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I totally read the title wrong I thought you were doing shots of alcohol while watching videos LOL. that would make some of it ok huh?

If DH (who is a bull in a china shop) and I could get through it, I have faith in you :)

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• I actually had this discussion with H over the weekend. I give horses and dogs shots all the time and the idea if doing it to myself does make me squeamish. I think if we end up down that road and I can't do it, H will. If you've never given shots before, practicing on an orange to familiarize yourself with a needle and syringe does help. GL!

~ES~

~*~EVERYONE always welcome!!~*~
    TTC #1 since October 2012
    BFP #1 11/22/12 EDD 7/29/13 MMC 1/14/13, D&C 1/16/13
    BFP #2 5/7/13 EDD 1/14/2014 Ectopic discovered 5/21/13, lost left tube
    Referred to RE, blood work done August 2013, AMH 0.27, all else normal, HSG clear
    BFP #3 12/1/13 EDD 8/8/14, MC 12/24/13
    January 2014: RE #2, blood work repeated, homozygous MTHFR c677t, SHG clear
    BFP #4 4/7/14 EDD 12/15/14 Our rainbow was born 12/6/14 at 4:26pm! <3 

• Eliz77 said:

I actually had this discussion with H over the weekend. I give horses and dogs shots all the time and the idea if doing it to myself does make me squeamish. I think if we end up down that road and I can't do it, H will. If you've never given shots before, practicing on an orange to familiarize yourself with a needle and syringe does help. GL!

I'm sure I could handle the stomachs ones buy MH will HAVE to do the IM ones. OK I can't even talk about this its making me nauseated!!!! :)

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Oh BeckyP005 I felt the same exact way.  Watched the Freedom videos plus countless others on YouTube.  I worked myself up into a little tizzy.

In reality it WASN'T as horrible as I was dreaming up. Here are some experiences I'll share with you...

Subcutaneous Shots - During this IVF (our 1st) I gave myself a total of 45 shots to my belly.  At first I was a nervous wreck, however in reality they never really hurt and were quite simple and quick to do.

PIO - This one I knew I would need my hubby to do as I'm short with short arms and just can't reach back there easily.  He is not a needle phobe, but was quite apprehensive about doing it. However, at somepoint you realize you have no choice and it is part of the process.  So to prepare he watched one YouTube video of a husband doing it to his wife and then I gave him an orange and syringe to practice the "dart" like motion on until he was comfortable.  So far he has been given me the shot every evening for 13 nights.  He does a great job and I find myself more at ease knowing I don't have to watch or do anything other than bend over and take it, lol. As far as pain, etc goes the most I have ever felt is a little sting/prick for a second. Kinda like what you get when you get blood drawn. Even though the needle is larger than a subq one, it really glides in quite quickly and easily. Your mind just plays tricks that since it is larger it will be excruiatingly horrible.

Here are a few things I've learned with the PIO....

-When you draw the meds into the syringe prepare for it to take a bit. Air bubbles get in the syringe very easily and you'll need to keep pushing them out as you go. This frustrated me as it took awhile to get the shot ready. When the med vile is full it is easier to not get bubbles but as you use it over the days and there's less meds and more air it gets harder. It just takes patience and knowing that you need to go slow when drawing it.

-Ice the area prior to for about 10mins. It will freeze/numb the area so less pain. Well I assume less pain as I never did it without the ice numbing.

-Make sure the alcohol wipped area is dry before injecting or the needle prick will sting more.

-While icing the spot hold the syringe with the meds in your other hand with your fingers wrapped around it. This will help to get the meds a little warm and help to thin the oil before it goes in. I suppose your h could do that for you also as it just needs warm skin around it.

-When injecting the needle the quick dart like motion is best.  For, me I had an issue with "pull back to check for blood" in case you are in a vein. I was petrified he would hit a vein everytime. The first few days I asked him every time are you sure there is no blood, lol.  There never was. I think it is pretty rare to happen actually, but it does need to be checked.

-Once the needle is in and you are ready to inject, make sure the meds are pushed in slowly.  It will take longer to be done with the process, but the muscle and your comfort will thank you.

-Once the needle is out, push gauze on it and rub it around for about 10 minutes after to help move the meds around. I also did some squats and down and up at my waist to activate the muscle.

-Ater the rub down, use a heating pad to warm the area and thin the oil inside.

If you have any questions please let me know and I can help in any way I can. Just remember our minds do crazy things and make up the worst case scenarios. In reality, you can handle it and it will most likely not be anywhere near as bad as you think.

**** siggy warning - bfp & loss ****   ---- All Welcome ---

Me: 44 - Hashimoto's (under control), DH: 38 - (minor issues)

IUIs: 2 in 2012 ... Both BFN
    IVF #1: 10/16/13 ... BFP, however it was not viable and ended in an early loss at 7weeks.

IVF #2: Feb '14 ... Cancelled. Positive beta at baseline appt, became very early loss.
    IVF #2: Apr '
    14 ... Retrieval Only. 2 embryos made it to day 3 freeze & will be batched with IVF #3 for PGD testing.
    IVF #3: June '14
    Retrieval Only. 4 embryos growing, all arrested before day 5. Two from April thawed, but also arrested.
    Currently benched while determining how to proceed.

"Keep going until you can't fail"

image   image

image  image

• @PrivateOne thanks so much for your detailed response! Your awesome.

Over the 2 yrs I had a notebook where I scribbled stuff down from the boards but who knows where it is in my messy unorganized bedroom :)

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Ask me anything and I'll try to comfort you with my experience and knowledge.  I am the biggest baby around and I've managed to make it through this process pretty much unscathed. For me, so much of it has to do with the fear of the unknown and then simply realizing we are all stronger than we realize.

**** siggy warning - bfp & loss ****   ---- All Welcome ---

Me: 44 - Hashimoto's (under control), DH: 38 - (minor issues)

IUIs: 2 in 2012 ... Both BFN
    IVF #1: 10/16/13 ... BFP, however it was not viable and ended in an early loss at 7weeks.

IVF #2: Feb '14 ... Cancelled. Positive beta at baseline appt, became very early loss.
    IVF #2: Apr '
    14 ... Retrieval Only. 2 embryos made it to day 3 freeze & will be batched with IVF #3 for PGD testing.
    IVF #3: June '14
    Retrieval Only. 4 embryos growing, all arrested before day 5. Two from April thawed, but also arrested.
    Currently benched while determining how to proceed.

"Keep going until you can't fail"

image   image

image  image

• When do you start? The stomach ones aren't bad at all and I PROMISE I was a wreck over it. Did you go to an injections class? I found the mixing confusing. I had a nurse come to the house to do the IM. I was too much of a baby and h is even worse. If he could have done it I would have saved the money but I couldn't do that one to myself. I was afraid it would bounce off. Good luck! I started with ice but didn't need it after awhile. Sometimes it really felt like nothing! Big trick is to make sure the alcohol dries.
    Me:39 Dx LPD, Fibroid, AMA and all that goes with that. H:37 Dx low motility and low morphology. TTC since 3/12. Clomid 8/12 and 9/12: BFN. 11/12 on a break for Myomectomy sched. 11/26. Resume TTC early 2013.
  • When do you start? The stomach ones aren't bad at all and I PROMISE I was a wreck over it. Did you go to an injections class? I found the mixing confusing. I had a nurse come to the house to do the IM. I was too much of a baby and h is even worse. If he could have done it I would have saved the money but I couldn't do that one to myself. I was afraid it would bounce off. Good luck! I started with ice but didn't need it after awhile. Sometimes it really felt like nothing! Big trick is to make sure the alcohol dries.

I didn't have a class yet...just prepping! Lol. Thanks

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• BeckyP005 said:

When do you start? The stomach ones aren't bad at all and I PROMISE I was a wreck over it. Did you go to an injections class? I found the mixing confusing. I had a nurse come to the house to do the IM. I was too much of a baby and h is even worse. If he could have done it I would have saved the money but I couldn't do that one to myself. I was afraid it would bounce off. Good luck! I started with ice but didn't need it after awhile. Sometimes it really felt like nothing! Big trick is to make sure the alcohol dries.

I didn't have a class yet...just prepping! Lol. Thanks
    Can't wait until you get started!
    Me:39 Dx LPD, Fibroid, AMA and all that goes with that. H:37 Dx low motility and low morphology. TTC since 3/12. Clomid 8/12 and 9/12: BFN. 11/12 on a break for Myomectomy sched. 11/26. Resume TTC early 2013.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"