Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Does your 17 month old listen?

LO is our first and he doesn't want to listen. If we ask him to come here or stop doing something he might listen 1-2 out of 10 times. He understands, just doesn't listen. He smiles and giggles half the time when getting in trouble for doing something wrong. Is this normal? What can I do to get him to listen?? He knows how to blow kisses, wave, clap, and touch his nose but only does it when he feels like it. I just feel like all our friends kids do things when told.

Re: Does your 17 month old listen?

• Options
    That sounds pretty standard for that age.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Theresa-no offense, but I am looking for advice as I'm a first time mom and love my son to death. So, your comment about finding it funny that I'm upset my toddler has a mind of his own is a littl uncalled for.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FWIW, DS (15 months) understands but doesn't "listen" either.  My DH always says "he is not a circus monkey!  Leave him be!" whenever I complain about DS not listening to me.  I find that the more times throughout the day I try to get him to follow my instructions, the less he responds.  And I think about how much I'd hate it if someone was telling me what to do/not do dozens of times a day - I'd probably start ignoring them too.  So now I only give "instructions" when it's necessary - e.g. I'd ask him to go get his shoes so we can go outside, but I wouldn't ask him to point to his nose just to show me that he knows where his nose is.  We are also very laid-back and mostly let DS do whatever he wants.  If he wants to open the drawer and pull everything out, that's fine.  We just encourage him to put stuff back, and he usually does.  I don't think he responds to "come here" either, unless it's towards an activity that he wants to do.  I'm ok with that.  If I really need him to come to me for something and he doesn't respond, I just go pick him up and physically move him.
  • Options
    Lallymom said:
    Theresa-no offense, but I am looking for advice as I'm a first time mom and love my son to death. So, your comment about finding it funny that I'm upset my toddler has a mind of his own is a littl uncalled for.
    That's her normal tone, don't worry
  • Options
    Thanks :). We are laid back too for the most part. My husband sounds like yours. I'll try to lay off.
  • Options
    Now, to address your post: I think what you're feeling is totally normal. My LO is the exact same way. If I say "C- come here so mommy can fix your hair" (she knows perfectly well what that means) she will run down the hallway as quickly as possible laughing. I try to not get frustrated and just enjoy the moment and the fact that she is discovering independence. Good luck! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"