June 2014 Moms

Anyone else have to wait til week 12?!?

I went to my first appointment today to confirm pregnancy ( and it was confirmed :) ) but they won't do an ultrasound until I'm 12 weeks!! That seems very long to wait! Anyone else? I know they typically do them earlier for women who have had complications or are high risk and I am neither, but how long does everyone else have to wait?
Tied the knot: 3.2.2012    BFP: 10.16.2013    Expecting first baby!!: 6.25.14

Mr. & Mrs. Clark

Pregnancy Ticker

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Answers

• Oh ok wow for some reason I thought it would be much sooner. Guess I'm just a little anxious and excited!!

Mr. & Mrs. Clark

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank u @FutureMrsW9!! I thought I was nuts thinking I was alone!! While 12 weeks does still feel like a ways off, i know it's not that long. But 20 weeks and only 1 u/s?!? Never heard that before. What if you were carrying multiples?! 20 weeks seems a long time to find that out. All of the pregnant women I've ever known have had multiple sonogram pictures... Maybe it's insurance nowadays? Low-risk or not, that doesn't seem right.

Mr. & Mrs. Clark

Pregnancy Ticker
  • For DS we had a dating u/s around 9weeks, partially because we declined the NT test, which meant no u/s then (typically done at 11 weeks). We had the anatomy scan at 20, and I have 3, about every three weeks, from 8months on (they were worried about LO being small). 

This time we know when my LMP was so are pretty confident on dates, and will be declining the NT test again. We might not have an u/s until 20weeks, but will see what the Dr says this evening.
  • My OB only does one standard ultrasound at around 20 weeks (anatomy scan).  We also chose to do the NT test at 11 weeks, so I had an ultrasound then too, but that's not required.  I think if you are low-risk and are measuring right around where you believe your pregnancy to be, they intervene as little as possible. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I get a vaginal ultrasound at my first appointment at 10 weeks.  I am counting down the days until November 13th!  Seems sooo far away.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think it prolly depends on the doc and ur insurance. I don't care if they only let me have one or two, I have a choice to pay for extra. Not that I will have to but it's nice to have options. My first apt is the 28th and I will be 8 1/2 and I am scheduled for a u/s then.

*BFP- Sept 2013*

*Ryder due June 1,2014*

BabyFetus Ticker

*Love of my Life*

image image

<3<3<3<3

• It definitely depends on the Dr. And the insurance. With my first pregnancy, I had only one ultrasound at 20 weeks. Now I am on a different insurance and have chosen a different Dr. I will have my first ultrasound at 8 weeks and then my 2nd at 20 weeks.
  • I am getting care through a birth center. I have to tour the center before they will accept me as a patient, but when I talked to the nurse midwife she said they start seeing people as early as 6 weeks. I will probably be around 7 or 8 weeks before I even see anyone or get an u/s. 12 weeks sounds kinda later to me, but this is my first pregnancy, so I may not be the best authority.

Married - 12/2011  TTC #1 - 8/2013 

BFP - 10/14/2013 EDD June 20, 2014

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Generally most doctors won't do an ultrasound until 9-11 weeks depending on your insurance. I haven't even been to the doctor yet to confirm pregnancy. She doesn't see people until 9-11 weeks. I will be 10 weeks when I go so I will get an ultrasound then with the fetal heartbeat. 
  • Generally most doctors won't do an ultrasound until 9-11 weeks depending on your insurance. I haven't even been to the doctor yet to confirm pregnancy. She doesn't see people until 9-11 weeks. I will be 10 weeks when I go so I will get an ultrasound then with the fetal heartbeat. 
    That's how my Dr. is too - no pregnancy confirmation, appointment at 10 weeks so we can hear the heartbeat. 

I too wish it was sooner though, especially because this is my first and I'm so anxious to know everything that is going on! 
    image BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ha!  I won't have an u/s til 20 weeks.

My OB does no pregnancy confirmation, no dating u/s.  You see the nurse at around 10 weeks and then OB at around 12 weeks.

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

• I hada missed miscarriage last August, myself and husband have been trying since then. So when I found out, I asked if I could come in early to make sure all was going well. I had my appointment today!! 6weeks 2 days- healthy heartbeat!!!!! The most unbelievable experience ever!!! Our baby has a heartbeat!! I go back again in 2 weeks! So blessed and grateful!!
  • Not til the anatomy scan for me.  It's the only time I'll get one. 
    With DS I had one at 7 weeks to find out my due date since I didn't have a period inbetween my miscarriage and pregnancy with DS.  Then at 20 weeks and that was it.

BFP 10/1/2010 MMC D&C at 11w4d
    BFP 3/15/2011 M/C at 6w
    BFP 5/25/2011 DS1 born 1:11pm on 1/16/2012
    BFP 10/18/2013 EDD 6/28/2014 GROW BABY GROW!!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Totally normal, like everyone has said it depends on your OB and insurance. My dd was a low risk and perfectly boring and normal pregnancy and I didn't have an ultrasound until 16 wks. It would have been the only one but we tested with an elevated risk for Down syndrome and so I had a level 2 ultrasound at 18 wks and then another at 39 wks when we discovered my dd was breech. My last pregnancy and this one I will have early ultrasounds because of repeat losses.

It's hard to wait, but after 12 wks lo actually looks like a baby and it's more fun to see he or she moving around :)

Married 8.1.2010
    DD #1: Arrived 10.7.2011
    TTC #2 Since March 2013
    BFP 5.20.2013, EDD 1.26.2014, natural mc @ 5 wks 5.25.2013
    BFP 6.21.2013, EDD 3.14.2014, Twins - missed mc @ 7w6d, D&C 8.6.2013
    BFP 10.7.2013, EDD June 20 2014 - It's a GIRL!   

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't get mine till 20 weeks. I would be thrilled with 12.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Every doctor is different, as are the insurance plans and what they will cover. Truly, there is very little need for an early US in an uncomplicated pregnancy unless there is a question about dates. 
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • I am currently 6 weeks pregnant and they scheduled my first US at 10 weeks
    *MartinezLove*
  • I was incredibly fortunate! My doc welcomed me in at 4 weeks for an appt to confirm the positive home test and did an u/s at that very visit, even though it was too early to see anything, but they did see that cyst thing on my ovary which released the egg. Went back 4 days later for another one and saw the empty sack. They then asked me to come in another week and a half later to check for a heart beat and further progress and we were able to see the super tiny baby and heartbeat at just 6 and a half weeks along!! Soothed a lot of my fears along the way to have such proactive docs!! Was happy to pay copays along the way just to see the progress!! Going again at 8 weeks for first official OB appt- bloodwork, another u/s and all the medical history!
  • I have to wait 3 more weeks, and it is torture!! I don't blame you for being frustrated! I think after the first appointment though, time will stop crawling and start to fly!
  • I will be 12 weeks when I have my first appointment with my doctor and 13 weeks when I get my first u/s. It was the same when I had DS.
  • I have to wait another 4 weeks. They will be seeing me at 10 weeks according to LMP. I wish they would see me earlier due to a MMC in July and the spotting that I have been having. But I guess if they are not worried the I shouldn't be either?

imageimage

Started TTC July 24, 2012
    BFP #1 June 15, 2013 ended in MMC July 21, 2013
    BFP #2 October 13, 2013 ended in natural miscarriage November 1, 2013
    ALL WELCOME
  • I'm having one next week at 6 weeks 4 days. I've had one miscarriage so not really high risk at all but my doctor is doing it to let me hear the heartbeat :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"