Single Parents
Options

Split with a 2-3 year old. What is it like?

bean0605bean0605 member
edited October 2013 in Single Parents
Hi guys.  So glad this board is here because I really need to hear some first-hand experiences.

I've been married to DH for almost 10 years, together for 18.  Things have wavered between excellent and horrible since DS was born 2.5 years ago.  DH is a problem drinker (like pass out drunk 5 nights a week).  I've lost so much respect for him over the drinking and was already contemplating issuing some sort of ultimatum about it.  Then last night (while drunk, of course), he got so angry he threw entire drawers(one with knives!) across the room and then slammed me into a wall.  All while our two-year-old was watching.  :(

I don't love him in any passionate way, and I don't want to be with him.  But I also don't want to miss a minute with my son or deprive him of the experience of a mostly happy two-parent family.  If you left when your kid was very young, how was the experience on them, and you?  I see that so many of you are struggling, and worry that leaving now might be overreacting.

Re: Split with a 2-3 year old. What is it like?

• Options
    I do not have experience with this as I am still pregnant, but he slammed you into a wall! You need to leave! Who's to say your son is safe with him while he's drunk? Who's to say that your H won't get mad about his crying or something and won't hurt him? For your and your son's safety, get out now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"