April 2014 Moms
Options

POLL: Do sibsets matter to you?

Bluebird2318Bluebird2318 member
edited October 2013 in April 2014 Moms
Just what it sounds like. Does it matter to you if your children share a naming "theme", sound good together, etc.? Or would you rather just pick names completely independently? Explain your answer. FTMs feel free to join in also!
March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

POLL: Do sibsets matter to you? 152 votes

Yes.
29% 45 votes
No.
67% 103 votes
SS.
2% 4 votes

Re: POLL: Do sibsets matter to you?

• Options
    I'd like them to sound ok when saying them in a sentence, and also not to be too similar. I wouldn't want Sean and dawn for example. But I don't want to do a theme where everyone's name starts with a k or anything like that
  • Options
    I don't care, no. However I do think parents usually have a naming style that's unavoidable, so the siblings' names tend to sound good together, whether it was intentional or not. DD's name sounds great with the potential names we have picked out for #2... having a good sibset wasn't something that we took into consideration, but it happened naturally. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Sort of-  DH has an M name, as does DS...I would want another M for a boy...(DH's brother is M and both his sons are M too)  I am S and want S for a girl....more like famsets than sibsets :)  There are names I like that don't fit the 'rule'- I like to have a short list and meet the baby before the final decision.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image   

BFP #2 03/01/13 EDD 11/12/13 MC and D&C 04/29/13 @ 12 weeks. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  

mean_girls_35345]       image BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I have a Doyce aka (Ray)and Mason. That doesn't match at all.
  • Options
    I agree there is usually a natural flow. I love my son's name so much (Max) that I just want to find one that I love as much.
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    DS's name is Collin. We have no idea what we're going to name DD, yet, but rhyming/themeing/starting w/the same letter/etc is the furthest thing from our minds. We're more concerned about choosing a name that is difficult for kids to make fun of, and sounds good w/our last name. :)
    Anniversary
    RTT badgeDSCN1111  Isla
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    AcaAwkwardAcaAwkward member
    edited October 2013
    Yes and no... I don't think you need a "theme" per say, but I think it sounds better to stick with a general style (traditional vs hipster-y, etc). For example, I think it'd be odd to have an Alexander and a Clementine. And nothing rhyming.

We have a one syllable last name which, when paired with anything longer than 2 syllables in the first name, tends to sound like a dormitory. But one syllable names are too abrupt sounding. So all the first names we like are two syllables and are actual, legit names but aren't super popular or super traditional. Middle names are more traditional and are family names.

ETA: grammar nazi
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Options

Yes. I am fanatic about my children's names and making sure they fit together. My four younger children are named Poppy, Jasper, Clover and Ash. I couldn't do a Mary or John now (thankfully I wouldn't want to!). Our next baby will almost definitely have an unusual nature-y name as well.

Just wanted to say Poppy is one of my FAVORITE names ever! It is my total guilty pleasure name as DH isn't a fan, but, in another life, DD would totally be Poppy!
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Options
    Yes. I am fanatic about my children's names and making sure they fit together. My four younger children are named Poppy, Jasper, Clover and Ash. I couldn't do a Mary or John now (thankfully I wouldn't want to!). Our next baby will almost definitely have an unusual nature-y name as well.
    I can't put my finger on it, but I really, really like your group of names. Individually, they're NMS, but I love them all together. Which is odd to me, because I'm more in the "name my kids individually" camp. Now I'm really interested to find out what your new one will be called! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My husband and his siblings' first names all start with A. I want to stay away from that:). We named our DS after a family name and this time we are just picking our favorite that has a special meaning to us.
  • Options
    We have 3 & they all end in an N. this one will also end with an N :)
  • Options
    I don't care about matching name styles or themes or whatever, but I don't want my kids' names to sound like an awkward mouthful when said in the same sentence, either. The names have to sound good together.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My siblings are not a subset at all: Melissa Zackery tanner and Sadelle (Sadie).

My daughter is named Cadence Goldie. Dh mom's name was Connie, but I hate that name so I went with a different C name and my grandma was Goldie. :)

I like Rowan for a girl, but we have no boy names and Rowan is not set in stone.
  • Options
    I like it if the parents happen to have names that match too. I have a friend who has two kids. Her whole family has names starting with J and it's actually really cute. 

Me personally? Well, H's name starts with J and so does DD but mine starts with N so naming my next child with a J name is kind of pointless since I'm the only one without one. 
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • Options
    Nothing to close but should sound good together. I would love the name Quinn for a girl but with a son named Finn (short for Finnegan) that's not going to happen. We like Fiona to so might have 2 F's
  • Options
    LittleLady77LittleLady77 member
    edited October 2013
    It matters to me in that I don't want matchy twin names. Twins have a hard enough time finding their independence, they don't need matching names too.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    amhah09amhah09 member
    edited October 2013
    I didn't care so much with the first two but now that I have two similarly sounding names I feel like the third needs to "mesh" as well. We have a Hudson and Averie so I feel like, Genevieve, for instance wouldn't be a great choice even though I like it. But all the same first level or super matchy-matchy, no.

ETA- If I loved a name that wasn't similar it wouldn't keep me from using it, but I do agree that I think all names will tend to "match" just because of naming styles.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Options
    My DD and DS are Kiah and Micah. I guess they do rhyme. We are wanting to continue with ending in the "ah" sound. We have tons of girls names we like, but if LO is a boy we're kind of lost. The only one we agree on so far is Ezra. Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    I just want them to go well together. I don't want them to sound too matchy, but I wouldn't want a modern name and a traditional name, for instance.
  • Options
    Bluebird2318Bluebird2318 member
    edited October 2013
    Emmynetty said:
    My DD and DS are Kiah and Micah. I guess they do rhyme. We are wanting to continue with ending in the "ah" sound. We have tons of girls names we like, but if LO is a boy we're kind of lost. The only one we agree on so far is Ezra. Any other suggestions?
    @emmynetty Jonah? Elijah? That's a tough one. I'll see if I can think of more.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    i picked yes because i do specifically think about how our kids' names will sound together.  they will be referred to together quite a bit in their lives, and i don't want them to sound too matchy, too similar, or too strange.  they need to be an equal "style" of name (i.e. no hamilton and chastity, no sarah and zephyr) and i specifically do NOT want them to start with the same letter.

so yes, sibling symmetry is important to me.  when i consider new names, i always say them out loud next to my son's name to see if it works in my brain.
  • Options
    My sisters and I are all C's. I've known families where everyone is a K except mom, or the while family is an A. I can't do it. It's just too matchy-matchy for me.
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"