TTC after 35

Should I do a sensitive "sensitivity training"?

I started a part time job last week, within the first hour I was asked if I had children 3x! I get it, people are curious they look for common ground, but holy crap and there I was in the 2ww waiting for today to test. (no this wasn't HR questions curious coworkers all ladies).

I am tempted to go back and politely mention how they had each rocked me because its something that I deal with almost daily. Possibly direct them to be a smidge more sensitive in their questions to others in the future. You know I don't even think I was wearing my wedding ring either.

Or should I let it go? THoughts.....I do kinda wish I thought to reply, "No infertile thanks for reminding me" :/ Of course if I say something I will be polite about it.

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
3 cycles clomid with Ob,
1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

Re: Should I do a sensitive "sensitivity training"?

• IFinTN said:
    I think I is a natural question. As long as they don't pry when you say "no" or "not yet", I say give them a pass:)

I agree, it's such a natural question for anyone meeting someone new, and I also agree with giving them a pass if they leave it at 'no' or 'not yet' without prying further. It's the ones that continue to poke with 'why' or 'don't you like children' or some such that deserve both barrels and need to be taught about sensitivity!

imageimage

Married August 2012. Me: 41  DH: 42 
    Daughter from previous marriage: 20

BFP 12/19/12: Ectopic discovered at 8 weeks, right tube removed 01/18/13
    June 2013 Testing Results: Progesterone: 31.7, LH: 5, FSH: 5, Estradiol: 161
    Clomid cycles Nov. 2013 and Jan, Feb, and March 2014

TTC journey over as of the end of October 2014

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• KateLouiseKateLouise member
    edited October 2013
    Having friends and family who have struggled with infertility and late term losses, I very seldom ask people if they have children, although I know sometimes I've been thoughtless.

If you're going to say something then I guess you need to decide what you want the outcome to be.
    Do you want them just to be more aware of what questions they ask people they meet? Do you want them to not dicuss children around you? Do you want to discuss more about your situation with them?

I'm thinking that if you said something like, "when you asked me about children the other day, I was caught off guard because we would like to have children very much, but have been unable to so far." then they may feel like they should never mention children around you. 

Assuming you want to feel free to have conversations about their own kids etc, and depending on whether you want to be free to discuss your own situation you might add something like, "I'm happy to hear about other people's children, and I'm ok talking about my situation, it was just a jolt to think about it when I met some new people."

However, Assuming you think you might develop some kind of friendship with these people, then maybe you could let conversations naturally happen, and perhaps if you get closer to some of them and you end up sharing some of your story then it might be an opportunity to say, "I remember when we first met and you asked me about children, that was really tough..."
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • ^ what she said.
  • mindaamindaa member
    edited October 2013
    IFinTN said:
    I think I is a natural question. As long as they don't pry when you say "no" or "not yet", I say give them a pass:)
    Agree with PP. But this is where office gossip can be useful, haha... if first person that asks would just spread the word to the rest of the team, they wouldn't all have repeat the same, awkward question! ;) 
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• I think it is just a get to know you question. But I have to say that it was something I would have asked before I realized that getting pregnant was always easy.
    My first 2 children were happy surprises and back then I just assumed that people got pregnant without any trouble.
    I would always ask married couples without children when they were going to start. I realize now how insensitive I was.
    I have not been using BC for 9 years and have only gotten pregnant once and that ended in a loss. So now I NEVER ask anyone about having children. It hurts me when I'm asked if we are going to have another so I wouldn't want to do that to anyone else. But people who have children or have never had IF issues wouldn't think it sometinng not to talk about.
    If you do end up getting closer to any of those woman I would let them know that it bothered you and they shouldn't ask that and just wait for pese to bring up if they have children.
    And congrats on the new job.

Me:39, DH:40

DD born 8/96, DS born 8/04

TTC#3

NTNP since 2006, active trying 1/13

Natural M/C 3/13 at 7 weeks

CP 2/14

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

imageimage

All welcome

• KateLouise  summed up my thoughts exactly....

I know it hurts, but I wouldn't say anything unless they push you or as you develop a closer relationship with them. 
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Thanks Ladies, as always this group is full wisdom. If/when (cause I am sure it will) the situation arises again, I will say something then, until then I will let it go.

It can just be so frustrating!!! Thank you all!!

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• Heather I went to get my nails done after work and instead of getting asked do I have any kids it was how many do I have...lol.

I just started laughing thinking about your post. Hang in there and great news on starting the new job!

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"