Single Parents

Hello all! Beginning my journey to single mommyhood.

Thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself to everyone here. I'm Rachel, I'm 25, and nearly 21 weeks along with my first child.
I've been creeping on this board for the past couple of weeks, since things got so bad between my ex and I. Well, now it's official. I split from him about 2 weeks ago, and moved out of the house we had shared immediately after. We hadn't been together long (only since January), but I felt such a strong connection to him quickly. There were many things I ignored (drinking problem, neglected bills & cutoff notices, emotional abuse), because I was so sure of my feelings for him, and because he always knew how to reassure me. He was very convincing, as it would turn out. In the end, he just ended up being a 31 year old man child, a liar, and one of the most irresponsible people I've ever met. My pregnancy took us completely by surprise (I was switching BC methods). I had actually split from him 3 days before finding out about it, and stupidly got back together with him because of it. Terrible mistake. Now, my concern is his ability to grow up, and create a safe, drug/alcohol free environment for our baby if he really does want to be a part of his/her life. Alcohol and pot seem to be a constant in his life. The alcohol, I don't so much mind as long as he can take care of his financial responsibilities first (which never happens with him), and lay off it around our child. DHS can, and will remand custody of our child if there are not working utilities in his home. The marijuana however, majorly illegal here in Oklahoma. After we moved in together, it was all I could do to keep him from smoking it in our house, and trying to convince him to get rid of it, and his paraphernalia. (The day I moved, I made sure to take pictures of what he still had laying around in case he takes me to court.) I know the bitterness will be a constant with him. He will likely always harass me, and try to tear me down emotionally. But, at least for now I can control if he is any part of my life. I don't need that stress in my life, and certainly not while I'm pregnant. The funny thing is that he still expects to be a part of appointments, and ultrasounds. Absolutely not. I am still debating if I even want to tell him when I give birth. 
Anyhow, this all has been weighing pretty heavily on me, but I am so fortunate to have a hugely supportive family, and network of friends. I am overjoyed to be a mama, and share my life with the little person that has already captured my heart!
So, thanks for listening! Everyone on this board seems so helpful, and understanding! So, in that respect I am happy to be a part of your community!

Elliott Brady was 7lbs 4oz & 19in
born March 8th, 2014 at 9:08pm

Re: Hello all! Beginning my journey to single mommyhood.

• This is one of those times you don't know whether to say "Congrats!" or "I'm so sorry!" so I'll say both.  It seems you pretty much know what you want and I hope you are able to stay strong with regards to the ex.  I know what you mean, though, about what happens now that you left.  Please please please don't let him manipulate you into coming back.  If he wants to change, get counseling and go to rehab then maybe...but it takes months/years of focusing on making these changes to really make it work.

My DD's dad is a binge drinker and uses it to manipulate people in his life.  When he has a situation in his life he can't control he will go off for a week or three and drink so much his blood alcohol level has been as high as 3.7.  During these binges he has stolen from me and his daughter, damaged our property, threatened police officers, harassed me endlessly by phone, shown up in my doctor's office parking lot three sheets to the wind just "wanting to talk," and on and on.  Sometimes you think it's easier to just take them back but it's not.  Eventually, you run into the same issues and have to start the separation process all over again which isn't healthy for you or your little one.  I am a firm believer it's better to raise your child in a healthier single parent environment that have a douche bag dad around who teaches them horrible things through their behavior.  DD's dad has been in the picture again for the last few months and has been sober, but other than that he's been pretty much useless aside from helping a little bit with  groceries and day care expenses.

So, stay strong and stick to your guns!  You can do it!  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"