Sad news for Natural Birthers ... — The Bump
Baltimore Babies

Sad news for Natural Birthers ...

edited October 2013 in Baltimore Babies
From Kathy Sloan's FB page:

To Our Clients:

It is with great sadness that we must inform you that despite having our busiest year ever, our practice will most likely be closing. We are still in the arrangement stages, so proceedings are still not yet definite, but we expect to be fully operational only until the end of February 2014. We will therefore be taking no new patients and may have to disappoint some current patients who are due in March and April.

Regrettably, lawsuits in obstetrics are defining obstetrical care in Maryland. Mercy Medical Center has had to make significant changes to their obstetric protocols making them less supportive of low-risk care. We are deeply discouraged for our clients and ourselves (after all 3 of us still plan on possibly having more babies!). The options available to women in Baltimore are becoming very limited. We hope that we will be able to continue serving our clients in some way but at this time we are not sure what that may be. For those of you currently seeing us for prenatal care we will be discussing options available to you at your next visit. We will continue seeing patients for annual exams for as long as we remain open. 

Please feel free to call if there are any questions.

Sincerely,

Kathleen Slone, CNM
Kathryn O’Brien, CNM
Bayla Berkowitz, CNM
Caitlin LeGros, CNM
[CENTER]image [/CENTER]

[CENTER]imageimage [/CENTER]

Re: Sad news for Natural Birthers ...

• I was just getting ready to post the same thing!  This is truly heartbreaking.  I was so lucky to have both Kathy and Caitlin deliver my daughter, and had no doubt that I would call on them again if I were ever to have another child.  All four women in the practice are amazing, and it is sad that Baltimore women are now finding their midwife options limited. 

• I was just getting ready to post the same thing!  This is truly heartbreaking.  I was so lucky to have both Kathy and Caitlin deliver my daughter, and had no doubt that I would call on them again if I were ever to have another child.  All four women in the practice are amazing, and it is sad that Baltimore women are now finding their midwife options limited. 

Exactly! Don't even get me started on options to have a legally attended home birth (1 person) that I know of in the entire Baltimore city & Howard, baltimore, Harford and Anne arundel counties.
    [CENTER]image [/CENTER]

[CENTER]imageimage [/CENTER]
  • This is indeed sad sad news.  Does anyone have recommendations for other midwife or no-low intervention birth options in the Catonsville/Baltimore/Columbia area.  The recommendation I keep getting is for Special Beginnings in Arnold but unfortunately that drive is just too long for me (45 mins - 1hr) and while I would like the lowest intervention birth I can manage, I'd like to avoid delivering in the car on my way to the birthing center if possible ;)

Thank you all in advance! 
  • I went through special beginnings in Annapolis...are we talking about the same place @dovegal? I delivered at AAMC but with a MW...the hospital was surprisingly accommodating of my natural birth.
    I know it may be a long drive, but I loved the care I got there fwiw.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards