Pregnant after 35
Options

Flu Shot

Ok, I get my flu shot yearly.  I just found out I was pregnant last Thurs and I am about 4 weeks 5 days pregnant.  I had a MC back in Feb at 11 1/2 weeks.  I am super nervous now and not sure if I should get the flu shot or not.  We can get them free at work today.

I have not talked to my OB/GYN yet but did have my annual physical on Monday and my primary Dr actually told me to wait a little while.  

Anyone have any thoughts?  What about waiting til after first trimester?

Usually I am up for it  but I have to admit I am super nervous.  Last time I got the flu shot months before I was pregnant.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Flu Shot

• Options
    I am sorry for your previous loss.  The flu shot has no connection with miscarriage and is recommended for all pregnant women.  That being said, you can wait a bit, but I wouldn't wait until after your 1st tri.  The flu shot is "season" is Oct/Nov primarily so that you are covered during the heavy flu months of Dec-March.  If you wait too long you run the risk of not being immunized when you really need it.
    Check your health plan, but flu shots should be covered at 100% now, meaning if you go into a participating retail provider (CVS, Target etc) at a later date, even if a few weeks once the nervousness settles, it will still be covered "free".
    GL!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My RE advised that I should get it now - that there was no reason to wait until 2nd tri.  Could you ask your nurse for reassurance before you get it?
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

QOTR said:
    My RE advised that I should get it now - that there was no reason to wait until 2nd tri.  Could you ask your nurse for reassurance before you get it?
    Hello,
    I did call my nurse, she said to get the one that has no perservitives in it.  I am not sure the one at work is so I am just going to wait til I see my OB and get it done with him.

I know I am being overly paranoid.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(

• Options
    I'd had a previous miscarriage and I was advised by my RE and PCP to wait until the second tri.  They both said that even though the flu shot is safe for preg women that NO research studies are done on women in their first trimester because it is too risky.  All the studies are done on women in their second and third trimester.  
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    stephzrn said:
    I'd had a previous miscarriage and I was advised by my RE and PCP to wait until the second tri.  They both said that even though the flu shot is safe for preg women that NO research studies are done on women in their first trimester because it is too risky.  All the studies are done on women in their second and third trimester.  
    Oh thank you, glad I am not being to paranoid.  I will chat with my OB when I see him in a few weeks.  

• Options

stephzrn said:

Oh thank you, glad I am not being to paranoid.  I will chat with my OB when I see him in a few weeks.  

When you do get it make sure you get the preservative free one.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    stephzrn said:
    stephzrn said:
    When you do get it make sure you get the preservative free one.
    Yes, thanks, that is what the nurse said  when I talked to her today from the OB office.  I appreciate it!!

• Options
    My arm is still a bit sore from it. My doctor made me get it yesterday. I was terrified because I hate shots. I did have some symptoms, which were being a bit hot and tired. It lasted for three hours and that was it. I'll be 35 weeks tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"