Attachment Parenting
Options

BLW--Grains

I've read the book and have approached BLW by giving DS a little bit of what I eat during the weekend.  I've recently read more about the reasons to avoid introducing grains--mainly Weston A. Price's approach.  www.westonaprice.org/childrens-health/nourishing-a-growing-baby

Now I'm feeling a bit guilty about letting DS have toast and oatmeal:( 

Thoughts? 

Re: BLW--Grains

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about it if your LO hasn't had any issues with the grains so far.  I gave DS whole wheat bread, cheerios, pita, whole grain pasta, etc before a year.   But if you are concerned, just stop giving grains until LO is a year. 

Also, that article is from 2005, and I think some of the info is out of date. Particularly this "Foods introduced too early can cause digestive troubles and increase the likelihood of allergies (particularly to those foods introduced)." I think more recent research has shown that introducing foods before a year doesn't increase the likelihood of developing an allergy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We waited to introduce grains until DS was one year old. There is some gluten sensitivity on DH's side of the family and lots of diabetes on mine. We figured that putting off the simple and refined carbs would help DS in more ways than just waiting for his digestive system to mature more.

What we did was offer whatever meat and veggies were on our dinner plate, plus fruits, starting around 7-8 months. He didn't eat much still eats like a bird, but solids in the first year are all about fun, play, and practice, and not really about nutrition anyway.

I wouldn't feel guilty certainly, but if delaying giving LO grains is something you would like to do, I say go for it! It's not like it's too late. :)
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't beat yourself up over this.

I think, and this is an over-generalization, Americans tend to have an unhealthy relationship with food (and I include myself in that!)  Part of that unhealthy relationship is a demonizing of certain foods/food groups.  Which changes on a fairly regular basis.  In general I think that it's a good idea to eat a wide variety of foods - including grains - but in moderation.  And it seems like that's what you're doing. (Unless he's eating 15 pieces of toast and 3 bowls of oatmeal at every meal, but I didn't get that impression from you)

And there are benefits to grains for children, in that they are converted to sugars/energy which is important for our kids who burn through sugars much faster than you or I.  Not to mention that I'm not sure where he's getting his information re:amylase, but a quick google search turned up two studies that showed that we start producing it at 3 months and it reaches adult levels by 8 months at the latest.

I'm not discounting gluten intolerance or trying to make it seem like NBD, but as @mb314, the current research on allergies and food sensitives is directly contrary to the information in the linked article above.  It makes sense for @Emerald27's family to hold off, given their allergic history, but if you don't have similar concerns, I wouldn't give it too much thought.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We're doing BLW too and since neither DH nor I have allergies in our families, we're pretty relaxed about everything DS eats. Plus, he actually eats so little of everything that I'm kind of like meh. 

And I totally agree with PP about our society's terrible relationship with food. If nothing else, I want DS to learn that good food is yummy, makes him feel good, gives him energy, etc. I don't want him to grow up in a house that counts every calorie and discusses the carb to protein balance of each meal. ;) (not saying that anyone here does that by any means, just trying to show that I want him to have a good relationship with good food)
  • Options
    I actually like WAP and much of what comes out of the WAP foundation, but you have to take the WAPF advice with a grain of salt. Some of the folks who write those articles and who are published authors under the WAPF treat his book like the Bible of food and then write their own Gospels for it.

You're not harming your baby if s/he eats a little grain. I do believe in soaking or sprouting the grains to aide digestion of them and you can find some info about that on the WAPF sight. But even if it isn't sprouted soaked or whatnot I'm sure you had some grains as a baby and you are okay, right? As long as you have no worries about allergies then there is no reason to fret.
  • Options
    Don't beat yourself up over this.

I think, and this is an over-generalization, Americans tend to have an unhealthy relationship with food (and I include myself in that!)  Part of that unhealthy relationship is a demonizing of certain foods/food groups.  Which changes on a fairly regular basis.  In general I think that it's a good idea to eat a wide variety of foods - including grains - but in moderation.  And it seems like that's what you're doing. (Unless he's eating 15 pieces of toast and 3 bowls of oatmeal at every meal, but I didn't get that impression from you)

And there are benefits to grains for children, in that they are converted to sugars/energy which is important for our kids who burn through sugars much faster than you or I.  Not to mention that I'm not sure where he's getting his information re:amylase, but a quick google search turned up two studies that showed that we start producing it at 3 months and it reaches adult levels by 8 months at the latest.
    Thank you...and to everyone for your input!  I love BLW because I believe that it promotes a healthy relationship with food.  I want to be reasonable about it...especially because my hubby and I are such huge foodies.  Besides, I'd really miss watching DS dump his oatmeal onto the table and then face planting into it so it gets in his mouth! 
    ;;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"