C-sections
Options

For STM+ moms who have had c-sections before....

Now that I know that I will be having a C-section, how does that change what I should pack in my hospital bag? Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

image Visit The Nest!

Re: For STM+ moms who have had c-sections before....

• Options
    I am getting ready for csect #3. In my bag I have toiletries, Chapstick, lotion, a towel and wash cloth, flip flops, a couple of sleeping bras, the outfit I will wear to and from the hospital, a robe and some socks. I also have an outfit for dd to come home in and some pacifiers. I stay in the hospital gown and mesh underware the hospital provides will I am there because I don't want to get blood all over my clothes and it is just easier for all the vital checks and incision checks. I will toss my phone charger and kindle in right before we leave.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It doesn't change much except make sure any pants you plan on wearing can be pulled up high enough over your incision. You could end up being there less time total. My sisters vaginal delivery took 2.5 days then she had her 2 nights postpartum stay. After my c I stayed 3 nights so in total I was out faster.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I stayed in my hospital gown until the day I was discharged.  Then I put on fresh unders and wore the clothes out that I had worn there (for 1 hour on the morning of my C).  The first day you just stay in bed because (with a spinal, anyway) you can't move your legs.  They put squeezy things on your legs so you don't get a clot, and this doesn't help you sleep.  On the second day, they will let you stand up and will remove your catheter, and they'll remove the cloths you've been laying on and put on the mesh undies with a ginormous pad. They also removed the iv line, but they kept the thing in my hand for another day.

Because the anethesia can mess up your digestion, at my hospital you must poop or fart before you are allowed to eat anything besides clear liquids. This was a horrid torture to me because I fasted before the surgery, naturally, and was starving. With G, I had to walk the halls - it felt like miles. I must have done 10 laps, trying to freaking fart. UNbelievable. I did finally.  With E, I lasted 3 days, and then they were threatening me with a suppository. I mean, seriously, like I was trying to not fart?!  Finally, I pooped. But the kitchen was closed, so I got to eat a granola bar and some cookies. They were delicious. So to answer your above question - definitely, take a robe with a zip closure and slippers that you may throw away later because you might be walking laps.

Otherwise, I had my travel soaps, my contact lens stuff, some hair ties. I packed for the baby a going home outfit (also for pictures), a burp cloth, and a small blanket.  Most of the travel case was my husband's stuff because he wanted to stay with me in the hospital. (The 2nd time my parents watched our son.) So he had several changes of clothes, his electric shaver. We had our phone chargers, a book, some videos, camera, camcorder, a pillow from home for H.
  • Options
    The only other thing you might want is a nursing pillow, and read up on the football hold if you plan to breastfeed - I remember it being a little awkward to nurse at first.
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I hate hospital gowns- feels like I'm flashing the room when I get out of bed. I prefer to change into pj pants ASAP after the c/s. No elastic waist- drawstring only on the incision. I like the pjs with the button up tops that I can pull on over a nursing tank. I take several pairs in case I get anything on them.

I also take some lotion, Chapstick, lanolin, boppy, slippers, extra socks, hair dryer, and DVDs or iPads for Netflix.

Start taking some colace a few days ahead of time and keep taking it while there. I just brought my own.

• Options
    I would just add to make sure your shoes for the ride home are large enough to allow your expanded feet as you will likely swell up a lot.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Underwear that was a size bigger then you normally wear with no/minimal elastic that go halfway up your stomach (aka granny-panties :)) seriously, they were a lifesaver!
  • Options
    For my RCS I packed a night gown for the hospital stay. It hurts to bend over right away to pull up pants after going to the bathroom! I packed maternity leggings to go home in. That way the pants line was not lying right where my staples were. 
    List:
    Go home outfit for me
    2 nightgowns
    0-3 month outfit and a NB size outfit. (my first was 10lbs and was too big for her NB size outfit!)
    fuzzy socks
    face cleaning wipes
    one of those toothbrushes that you slip over your finger and don't need water for. 
    makeup bag
    my own shampoo conditioner and soap.
    bag of hair ties
    camera
    videocamera
    curling iron(I fixed my hair before I went home!)
    That was it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    InLovewSB said:

I The first day you just stay in bed because (with a spinal, anyway) you can't move your legs.  They put squeezy things on your legs so you don't get a clot, and this doesn't help you sleep.  On the second day, they will let you stand up and will remove your catheter, and they'll remove the cloths you've been laying on and put on the mesh undies with a ginormous pad. They also removed the iv line, but they kept the thing in my hand for another day.

Because the anethesia can mess up your digestion, at my hospital you must poop or fart before you are allowed to eat anything besides clear liquids.

This is not true at every hospital. I was up in the shower within five hours of both of my c-sections. My first was an emergency, but my second involved a spinal. I was wearing the mesh panties with a pad as soon as i showered. I was up walking the halls the next day. I was able to eat the next morning after both, and my second was at 7:30 pm.

As for the bag, it depends on your comfort level. I stayed in the hospital gown with my DD. With my DS, I got dressed both days. Mostly because my DD visited and I wanted to make things normal for her. I was in the hospital less than 48 hours, so I didn't need a lot.

• Options
    This will be my 3rd C/S in my bag i have:
    4-5 pairs of ginormous granny panties that go up your stomach, they'll be amazing after, I promise.
    2 cotton long & comfy night gowns
    2 pairs of yoga pants that go up high & 2 nursing tanks
    1 robe & house slippers
    dove body wash, shampoo, conditioner and chapstick, lanisol nursing cream
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"