October 2013 Moms
Options

I'm a mess, please calm me down! (hyperbili ?)

My little man is 4 days old. he was slightly yellow at discharge on Monday with 7.1 bili levels. we went to the ped today for his first check up and Dr said to go get another test because baby was still yellow. they just called that the level jumped to 15.7 and we need to go to the ER to see if the levels keep rising and gethimadmitted if they are.

those who had huperbili babies or know a lot about it, can you tell me how severethisjump/ level is?

I'm too much of a quick to research out right now and wanted real life help. I'm having a panic attack, please help me!

Re: I'm a mess, please calm me down! (hyperbili ?)

• Options
    edit: to much of a mess
  • Options
    How often are you nursing/feeding. If you are worried about levels, do so every two hours from start to start religiously. The best way to lower baby's levels is by feeding so she will use the bathroom and clean out her system.

At least this is how it was explained to me when DD1 had jaundice. Feeding every 2 hours religiously worked for us.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Every two during the day and then cluster at night before bed then about every 1.5 hrs till morning. ped said breastfed babies take longer to drop levels. my main concern is whether that jump is normal ranges for two days or outrageously high.. I'll ask in the ER butwe are still on our way and I'd like rareassurance Asap, YKWIM?
  • Options
    We had high bill levels too. Release from the hospital at 9.9, next day at Pedi 13, asked to come back, next day at Pedi 15... We were told if it jumped to 17 we would have to go to the hospital. The following day we were back down to 13 so released. Our pedi said that is is natural for bili to rise for the first couple of days, you just have to make sure you don't reach the max numbers. Unfortunately I cannot tell you what your max number is because it is a sliding scale based on hour of birth. Our pedi showed us the chart. The key for us was upping the amount he was eating. Since my milk didn't come in until day 5, Beckett had 2 days with nothing really until we started supplementing with formula. Just try to get that baby to eat as much as possible! Good luck!
  • Options
    We were readmitted at 5 days after being at home with the blanket for 3 days. DDs level reached 18.9. Take it easy and like others said, feeding often and baby pooping is important. Good luck!
  • Options
    get a bili blanket and CONTINUE BREASTFEEDING.   do NOT let them push formula, it's not needed.

• Options
    My LO's bili level reached 18 at 5 days old and she spent the night under the lights and by the next afternoon we were back home. I fed her every 2 hours for that 24 hours we were in the hospital. And she shit everywhere as we were putting her clothes on to go home lol
  • Options
    We are in hospital now for this same thing. My babies level got up to 20 today and we were sent straight here. We have been under lights and non stop breast feeding for almost 18 hours and his numbers are dropping fast .
  • Options
    Thank you for your replies! he dropped to 13 at the ER and the ped said he most likely hit his max and was on the decline. I'll up the feedings to ensure the number goes down more. He poops well, though, and often!

Thanks again! I tremendously appreciate the feedback. and I hope those babies with hyperbili get better fast!
  • Options
    ClaireOtomsClaireOtoms member
    edited October 2013
    Long term damage starts to occur at around 25-26. 15 is nowhere near an emergency. Nurse as much as possible and do the phototherapy, although naked skin in the sunlight can do almost as much good at those levels.

Good luck!

ETA:  AmyG is right, I was wrong.  The numbers change based on how old baby is.  Oops.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image"">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    my daughter had her bili up to 23 i think (this was a few years ago)...she's a perfectly functioning multilingual intelligent toddler now. i said NO to formula, and was able to ebf her. we did inpatient lights for about 24 hours and 48 hours of outpatient lights at home.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"