Upstate NY Babies

Reviews of midwives near Albany? (And reviews of Samaritan/Burdett Care Center?)

I am considering seeing a midwife practice this time instead of my OB and am looking for reviews (both good and bad) of practices in the Schenectady/Albany/Troy area.

Also, the new Burdett Care Center just opened up within Samaritan Hospital in Troy and I am wondering if anyone has any reviews on it (or the midwives that practice there).

I am looking for a natural birth either in a hospital setting, or in a birth center located in a hospital, like the Budett Care Center. I don't have a preference which hospital we go to, I just want the best experience. (Though I hear Samaritan and Bellevue are most supportive of a natural birth).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
IMG_0173.11
Trying for #2 since July 2010
BFP 8/1/10, missed m/c, D&C 9/15/10.
BFP 1/8/11, chemical pregnancy.
BFP 3/4/11, measured behind all along, no more HB 4/18/11. D&C 4/29/11. HCG didn't drop, Repeat D&C 6/17/11; confirmed molar pregnancy 6/23/11.
Forced break, including two Hysteroscopies in October to remove retained tissue.
BFP 12/29/11! Betas @ 10 dpo = 85, 14 dpo= 498, 22 dpo = 7242
Heard HB 1/24/12. 144 bpm!

Luca Rose born 9/9/12! More than worth the wait!

Re: Reviews of midwives near Albany? (And reviews of Samaritan/Burdett Care Center?)

• I liked the Burdett Care Center and I just had my daughter there in December. You should be aware that some of the nurses are from St. Mary's and some are from Samaritan. But I think if you have a midwife they will let you labor however you want. I switched from an OB practice to a midwife practice. I used the midwives in troy - I think they are called capital midwives now. But for my birth I had a on call midwife kelly mcdermott - who has her own practice and does home births. If you have any other questions please feel to ask.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageoctoberbridesrule:
    I liked the Burdett Care Center and I just had my daughter there in December. You should be aware that some of the nurses are from St. Mary's and some are from Samaritan. But I think if you have a midwife they will let you labor however you want. I switched from an OB practice to a midwife practice. I used the midwives in troy - I think they are called capital midwives now. But for my birth I had a on call midwife kelly mcdermott - who has her own practice and does home births. If you have any other questions please feel to ask.
    Thank you for your response! I did know that there are nurses from both places, and I know there are probably some growing pains associated with that. I have heard nearly all good things, but a few not so great stories about power struggles between certain staff members (midwives & physicians mostly).

Was it Capital Region Midwifery? Thats the new group that just formed and I believe they deliver at Bellevue and Burdett. The midwives there are Margaret Holcomb, Pamela Platis & Linda Balles. Its the group I was first interested in seeing, but now I realize I have a few other options as well. What was your opinion of Kelly MCDermott? Her name comes up a lot in my searches. I thought she just did home births, I didnt realize she covered there as well.

IMG_0173.11
    BFP 3/4/11, measured behind all along, no more HB 4/18/11. D&C 4/29/11. HCG didn't drop, Repeat D&C 6/17/11; confirmed molar pregnancy 6/23/11.
    Forced break, including two Hysteroscopies in October to remove retained tissue.

• Loading the player...
  • I go to Dr. Sattars nurse/midwife practice. They are awesome. You meet everyone and the OB is there for c/s and complications. Otherwise it's all midwives who deliver. I have never loved a OB/GYN practice more.

https://www.drsattar.com/

Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thank you ladies. I had just gotten another strong recommendation for Dr. Sattar so I have been looking into his practice, and Dr. Bloss delivered my friends baby and Ive heard great things about him too.

Kimbus- Im going to PM you. Thanks!

Any other opinions out there?

IMG_0173.11

• I am currently seeing the midwives at Capital Region Midwifery (previously midwives at St. Mary's/Seton Health). I am intending on a natrual birth and so far everything has been good (I'm due April 28).  My husband and I took a tour of the Burdett Care Center last Sunday and the rooms are VERY large, comfy, and homey.  All the rooms I visited had birthing balls, the medical equipment hidden, low lighting and were a very comfortable temperature.  My husband would be allowed to sleep there overnight if he wanted to which is a plus.  I am interested in at least laboring in a tub and possibly having a water birth and I was told that I can ask for this when I arrive at the hospital.  If you decide on a water birth in a pool you have to bring your own hose.  No big deal for me, but something to consider.

I also am attending hypnobirthing classes and the doula we've been working with asked around to see what the feeling is about the Burdett Care Center.  The response was that there have been some struggles, but if you have the right provider (midwife or other) then there shouldn't be any issues.  After seeing the center and getting a tour, talking with my midwives (who are great), I feel very comfortable about going to Burdett.  My biggest concern now is laboring through the birth.

I would highly recommend the midwives at Capital Region Midwifery.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • hello. I currently came across the capitol region midwifes. So far i hear good things about them so im going to be scheduling my first appt with them. I currently have a different OB in latham that works with bellevue. Im not comfortable heading that way since i heard discouraging things about bellevue. Im really excited to check out burdett center-since its sounds like a place ive been searching for frantically. I am also very interested in laboring in a tub/delivery water birth. I had question- what do you mean bring your own hose? Also, i was hoping to get some feedback on the "struggles " that you've mentioned regarding buredett? I really hope i can narrow all this down, its making me so anxoius-since this is my first child. I want to make the right choices!
  • Just curious if anyone has recent, more specific reviews on Capital region midwifery. What are appointments like? What are the midwives like? Anyone vbac with them?
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Sage-femme midwifery with Kelly McDermott!!! They are amazing. Delivered my baby at home in July and I had an incredible experience with them. Their experience and calm, confident attitude made me feel sp secure. If it hadnt been for Kelly, I would have had a c-section due to my cervix re-closing and trouble getting baby under pubic bone, she knew just the way to handle the obstacles and get me my baby out naturally, and safely.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I too am looking for more updates reviews of burdett- I have heard some not great things about peds? I have decided I will be going with Kelly McDermott again- she was with me for 2/3 pregnancies, delivering one of them. Margaret Holcomb delivered the other- fantastic ladies!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"