August 2013 Moms
Options

That girl

This morning LO had her two month appointment, which of course meant shots. I cried. I mean as soon as she teared up I broke down. I've always thought of myself as a pretty strong/tough person emotionally. But this little girl has torn down every one of the walls I worked so hard to build up over the last -?- years.  I cry at every one of her doctors appointments, and you all know that she has had more than her fair share in the last two months. I have now become "that girl".

So, how has motherhood unexpectedly changed you? What surprises you about your "new" self?

And just for kicks here's a couple of her two month pics we took this morning before her appointment.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg

Re: That girl

• Options
    RevezRevez member
    edited October 2013
    I'm the same way. We had an LC appointment a few weeks ago and they asked me to bring her hungry. She screamed the whole 20 minutes there, and so did I. We both arrived red faced and covered in snot.

I'm surprised that I can function on 4 hours of sleep on a daily basis.

Eta: spelling

• Options

I am the same way. I was pretty tough before DS came along. Now anything to do with him makes me cry. Here are just a few examples: he outgrew newborn clothes, moved to his own room, when his imbilical cord fell off, I cut his finger when clipping his nails, he got a rash, he got his shots....

I was telling another "me crying about baby" story at work and one of the girls I work with was like "WOW! You actually have feelings" ummm thanks?? I guess??

:-/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ah that 2 month appt is hard!!

I no longer care if I'm not completely put together when I go out.

I'm also not near as shy as I thought I'd be about whipping my boob out in public. Granted, when I say 'public' I mean my car in a parking lot...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    MitsB707MitsB707 member
    edited October 2013
    @californiadream87 I'm the same way! I still randomly buy stuff, but it's always for DS. I also used to get my hair done every 4 weeks (cut and color/highlights) and a mani/pedi, and now I'd rather spend that on DS or building his savings. I still try to get a pedi once a month since it relaxes me, but that's a lot better than every week or two.

Eta: We have Tyler's 2 month appointment tomorrow. I'm scared. :(
  • Options
    I have such a strong urge to be at SAHM now. I feel guilty because I was counting down to going back to work with Lucas. I just have a much stronger bond with Alexis.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

@californiadream87 I'm the same way! I still randomly buy stuff, but it's always for DS. I also used to get my hair done every 4 weeks (cut and color/highlights) and a mani/pedi, and now I'd rather spend that on DS or building his savings. I still try to get a pedi once a month since it relaxes me, but that's a lot better than every week or two.

Eta: We have Tyler's 2 month appointment tomorrow. I'm scared. :(

@maritza707 Crazy how much these little boys have changed us ;)

GL tomorrow at his two month check up. Eff those shots (not really but poor babies) :(
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We just got back from LOs 2 mo shots as well.  She was a trooper and I was the one with tears in my eyes.  I've been staring at her since we got home.

• Options
    I've never cried at any shots with DS1. Probably won't with DS2 either. It sucks, but so does Mumps. (Believe me I know, I had the mumps!). I certainly wouldn't call them a good time though!

Motherhood has made me kinder. I'm more patient with those around me and look at the world with a "wider" perspective. It's not just all about me anymore. And I like that.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Options
    I must be a bad mommy, because I really want to go shopping for myself. ;-) I need to lose a few lbs first though.

I feel like motherhood has definitely softened me. I'm more patient, understanding, and generally pretty calm. I also feel a greater connection to my family and my good friends. I agree with Rooster about maintaining a positive "tribe".

• Options
    Snowbird7Snowbird7 member
    edited October 2013
    I was always a very independent, career-driven woman with feminist ideals. But everything completely changed seven weeks ago when Alex was born. I NEVER thought I'd become this, but I want to stay at home with him all the time and never go back to work.

It's insane how you can think you have yourself pretty well figured out after 33 years, and then BAM! Motherhood changes everything (in a great way).

Edit: That's not to say that staying at home doesn't support feminism -- I don't believe that for a minute. I just re-read this and wanted to clarify.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I never cried at any of the shots. I mean, they only cry for about a minute, and then it's all over. I've had enough shots myself to know that they don't really hurt. I'm also kind of a cold-hearted bitch. ;)

Motherhood has definitely softened me though. I used to hear about kids or babies being hurt on the news and while it made me sad, it never really struck a chord with me. Now I can't even bear to HEAR about terrible things happening to kids. If I'm watching a movie and there's a little boy in it, I immediately think of my own boy(s). We watched "the following" last season and her little boy was kidnapped.. I seriously could hardly watch. It gave me massive anxiety.
  • Options
    We had ours this morning too and I'm right there with you sister ! I could still cry at any moment. My husband is put of town and I made my dad go with me to hold my hand in case I was too big of a mess!! They're gonna be fine though!! Keep your head up. Here is JT three hours later (after a short nap) he's not in too bad of a mood :), I'm still a small mess
  • Options
    I'm surprised how much I don't care about returning to work. Prior to LOs arrival I had posted about being worried about a 12 week maternity leave since I was so into my career. I LOVE(D) my career and it definitely defined me. I have 4 weeks until I return to work, and now dread it...I feel "redefined" now as a mom, which is so much better!
  • Options
    I never thought I wanted to be a sahm. I've been crying on a daily basis thinking of returning to work next week.

Yesterday was our first time going to church since LO was born and I found myself being so protective. We go to a huge church and when mil came and took him for a little bit I couldn't stop looking over to make sure no one was kissing on him or that he wasn't being passed around. I actually got so worked up I asked to have him back and didn't let go the rest of the service.
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• Options
    My poor boy had it rough at his 2 month because of shots. Baby tylenol and tlc helped alot.

I used to be very interested in traveling and being career oriented but now the idea of going back to school tomorrow makes me so sad. I hate the idea of leaving my sweet boy. Ive been non stop cuddling hin all day
  • Options

I never cried at any of the shots. I mean, they only cry for about a minute, and then it's all over. I've had enough shots myself to know that they don't really hurt. I'm also kind of a cold-hearted bitch. ;)

You are like my bump twin @janneann1127

DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Options
    When LO had her 6 week shots DH had to pick up two crying girls. I hated hearing her scream and even when she's upset with wind I find it hard.

Motherhood has changed my germaphobe tendencies. I used to freak at anything related to bowel movements or other bodily excretions and won't even clean up the dog poo, but now I've been known to notice a bit of baby poo on my hands and not exactly rush to get it off. And all the blow outs etc don't

I'm also hell set on not letting my little girl experience the kind of mothering I did. I never thought about it beyond my own experience for a long time but now it's a huge factor in how I am with her. She will never have reason to doubt she is loved and important.
    TTC Since March 2010 - 2 angel babies - BFP December 12 EDD 12 Aug 13 Lilypie Maternity tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Yeah this is me too! I do this when my son "hurts" himself playing too.. I am like " dude, don't jump off the couch if you can't handle the consequences" lol. Add me to the cold hearted crowd...

Mommy to J: Born 5/11/2010 & B: Born 8/26/2013

• Options
    I've also changed. I used to be a busy body and always needed to do a million things at once. Since LO was born I have spent countless hours cuddling/ nursing him in his room with no tv or radio. I'll just sit and stare at him (and sometimes mobile bump) and I am not bored.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Lilmrslay said:
    When LO had her 6 week shots DH had to pick up two crying girls. I hated hearing her scream and even when she's upset with wind I find it hard. Motherhood has changed my germaphobe tendencies. I used to freak at anything related to bowel movements or other bodily excretions and won't even clean up the dog poo, but now I've been known to notice a bit of baby poo on my hands and not exactly rush to get it off. And all the blow outs etc don't I'm also hell set on not letting my little girl experience the kind of mothering I did. I never thought about it beyond my own experience for a long time but now it's a huge factor in how I am with her. She will never have reason to doubt she is loved and important.
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I feel the exact same way.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Options
    janneann1127janneann1127 member
    edited October 2013
    BlueJewelM - I know, right? There's only one thing we don't agree on. I love myself some country music!! haha. :-)
  • Options
    I'm actually more organized as a mom. I guess because now I know I have to be! I also find myself changing habits to be a better example for LO, even if she can't recognize it yet. I'm eating more veggies, I've dropped cussing out of my conversations, no more hanging out with friends who just want to go out and drink, etc. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"