April 2011 Moms

Update to talking -- those with boys

Hi, Everyone,

Liam's hearing and audiology test went fine, so his speech delay isn't a hearing issue. We'll have more assessments on October 24th to determine why he's experiencing a speech delay.

I guess I don't have any other details. I'm not really sure what the assessments will involve, but I'll keep you updated. Have a great weekend, Everyone! :-)
MacAndCheese
Mac and cheese lover!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Update to talking -- those with boys

• mommy0411mommy0411 member
    edited October 2013
    I am glad the hearing test went well! The assessments involve a lot of parent questions and a lot of observing the child. It is really helpful if you go in with a list of his words as well as any nonverbal communication (waving, pointing...). Word approximations, as long as he uses them consistently count as words. They will also test what he understands by having him pick out basic objects, animals and other things typical toddlers should know. My DS has his annual review through Early intervention on Monday and then he has a whole different set of assessments at our local children's hospital in Novemeber (we are needing more documentation of his diagnosis for the school district as well as getting info on his future prognosis) so I understand what you are going through. I have a lot of experience with speech issues so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! Good luck!

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Glad to hear all went well. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • shaindelrshaindelr member
    edited October 2013
    mommy0411 said: I am glad the hearing test went well! The assessments involve a lot of parent questions and a lot of observing the child. It is really helpful if you go in with a list of his words as well as any nonverbal communication (waving, pointing...). Word approximations, as long as he uses them consistently count as words. They will also test what he understands by having him pick out basic objects, animals and other things typical toddlers should know. My DS has his annual review through Early intervention on Monday and then he has a whole different set of assessments at our local children's hospital in Novemeber (we are needing more documentation of his diagnosis for the school district as well as getting info on his future prognosis) so I understand what you are going through. I have a lot of experience with speech issues so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! Good luck! ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you so much! He has words, but most of them are approximations where we know what he's saying, but no one else would. For instance, Kitty is just the K sound  -- sort of Khee!, and Horse is a really guttural H sound, and Cow is a really guttural Khhh sound. Elmo is "oh?" that kind of thing. 

I think "Hi" and "Bye" might be his only words that anyone other than Jared and I understand. He's started to say "Shoe" pretty clearly. For a while he just said, "Shhh" for shoe.

I'll definitely keep you updated! Our assessments are through our school district's Early Intervention program, too. Thanks so much!
    MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"