February 2014 Moms

Traveling internationally while pregnant - need vaccines? Anything to avoid?

DH & I are traveling to Punta Cana in 2 weeks for our Babymoon & his birthday (I'll be 24 wks)!! I've mentioned this upcoming trip at a few previous appts & my Dr never mentioned anything about precautions, vaccinations, etc. Called today to get a note just in case we run into any issues flying while pregnant. Also asked if there was anything I should avoid or do differently while traveling internationally during pregnancy.

I was then told that I need to contact Passport Help to schedule a consult (costs $65) and get any vaccines ($25-325) they recommend. After speaking to them, I'm even more confused. They said they're not a medical provider so depending on what vaccines are recommended by the CDC based on the country (https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/dominican-republic) I will need to confirm with my doctor what's safe since I'm pregnant. 

Dr's office just keeps telling me to call Passport Help. UGH, beyond frustrated! And why did it take me asking to get any of this information? Anyone else travel internationally while pregnant that can offer advice or let me know what I should/shouldn't be doing? We're staying at an all inclusive resort but I was already planning to drink & brush my teeth using bottled water. Thanks in advance for your help!

Baby GIRL K is on the way! <3

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Traveling internationally while pregnant - need vaccines? Anything to avoid?

• I would definitely get a Tdap, but that's not even for traveling abroad reasons.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'd take that list to your doc, or local international vaccine clinic and talk to them about your pregnancy and what's safe to get vaccinated for. Like it says in the link, depending on what you're doing in the country changes a lot of things. If you're going to a resort and possibly sight seeing, then you likely don't need everything there on the list.

For example, I went to South Africa for work a few years ago knowing that I'd be working with little kids in the townships (slum-like areas) and coming in a lot of contact with them, that influenced what shots I needed.

Hope that helps.

BzeetyD = 38, Mr. BzeetyD = 44 together 12/02 married 9/08
    TTC #1 since 1/10
    DX: Unexplained/??? MFI issues

Our lil' lost sparks:
    5w3d loss 7/30/10 - EDD March 2011
    8w loss 4/15/11 - EDD November 2011
    8w3d loss 8/2/12 - EDD March 2013
    4w c/p loss 10/29/12 - EDD July 2013

Long story: trying on our own + testing testing testing with 6 rounds of Clomid, more testing, injectables + TI, laparoscopy - one tube blocked, 2 IUIs with Follistim...BFNs.
    RPL testing all normal, Karyotyping normal

Moving on to IVF.

IVF #1 April 2012 = BFN, IVF #2 June 2012 = BFP. U/S 7/23 = saw heartbeat but measuring behind. Follow up U/S on 7/30 - no heartbeat. D&C 8/2. Trisomy 12. IVF #3 Oct 2012 = Chemical Pregnancy

Phone consult with CCRM on 12/12/12 - ODWU 1/4/13 - both tubes clear(!) - AFC 24, AMH 3.2, FSH 9.6, LH 5.4, E2 25. DH has high frag rate but improved!
    IVF #4 March 2013 CCRM. EP protocol w/ Menopur, Gonal-F & Dexamethasone. ER 3/29 & IMSI, PICSI. 43R 13M 10F 6blasts bio'd. CCS testing reveals 3 normals!!!
    FET 5/31/13 of 1 4AA blast - thawed and expanded. 4dp5dt BFP.
    Beta 9dp5dt = 181, 11dp5dt = 427. 1st u/s showed a healthy heartbeat! EDD 2/16/14

After 4 years of hoping and heartbreak, our sweet little bean was born on 2/19/14
    We are so in love with her.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."

Everybody is welcome!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I think you should be okay staying at an all inclusive. I'm not sure about the specifics traveling to the DR. I would look at the website, but two weeks isn't a lot of time... Maybe look into things like malaria and dengue fever.

I'm traveling in two weeks as well! My doc was more concerned with me being safe with my food than anything else.
  • I don't think you need any new/special vaccines for punta Cana. TDAP and flu are a good idea regardless but otherwise- nothing new. Went there on honeymoon and as long as you stick to the resort and don't drink the water- you should be fine. I went to Barbados while pg with DS and never called passport services or anything. I think your dr is probably just unsure and trying to cover his ass.

• NoetholaNoethola member
    edited October 2013
    It looks like most of what is recommended are normal vaccines that you should probably be up to date on already.

Where you are staying, you probably wont need anything else. You could also contact the resort and see if they have had any recent outbreaks you should be aware of in the area (typhoid, malaria, etc.) 

When I traveled to India, I just called my local health department and got my vaccines from them. 
    Lilypie - (qptF)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    "Elsie Irene was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."

• Thank you all for the helpful advice! The Dr's office kept referring me to the Passport Help and they would then refer me back to my Dr for confirmation about what vaccinations are safe during pregnancy. A lot of back & forth & slightly frustrated that it took me having to ask when I've mentioned this trip multiple times before.

Baby GIRL K is on the way! <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've been to the DR before, (not pregnant) and never required any special vaccines. I'm not sure why it would be different just because you are pregnant.
    Just take the same precautions you would when not pregnant and traveling....only drink bottled water etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"