Natural Birth

Interviewing doulas

I'm going for my 2nd VBAC and hoping to finally achieve my natural birth. I hired a doula last time but there were a variety of things that happened (she wasn't there, backup came but left once I got to the hospital) that make me want to hire a different one this time. I feel like I ignored the fact that I wasn't completely comfortable with the doula I hired last time. Anyway, I thought I had found the right one but she's having health issues and may or may not be able to attend my birth, so I'm back to square one and interviewing again.

Before I was mostly looking to see if there was a personality mesh. I've also been looking for experience with VBACs, hypnobirthing, bradley, etc. DH really wants to be my primary birth partner but I still feel like I want some doula support as well. Any other advice about what I should be looking for or asking about? I really want to have the right people at my birth this time, especially since this is my last go round.

A
imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

Re: Interviewing doulas

• I remember there was a list of questions that seemed pretty thorough to me in Ina Mays book. If you do a google search, lots of websites will also pop up with some good lists of questions to ask a potential doula. Why did you not feel completely comfortable last time?
    imageimage
  • The big question I had when interviewing doulas was how they would handle me if I "thought" I could no long do it.  I wanted a doula who would be strong and supportive, especially when I was questioning myself.  I also asked about their birth experiences, the types of situations they encountered, and how they would help advocate/help me during L&D.  All of these questions helped me get a feel for the doula in general and her personality. I definitely feel like you need to be comfortable with your doula. This woman will see you when you are emotional and in pain. In my experience I knew when I found the right doula (I interviewed 2 and had a gut feeling that the one I picked was the one).  IMO trust your instinct and try not to over think it. Sometimes we overthink the process by comparing experience, if they have worked with the MW/OB before, etc.  Instead of going with our gut feeling!
  • Loading the player...
  • lalaith50 said:
    I remember there was a list of questions that seemed pretty thorough to me in Ina Mays book. If you do a google search, lots of websites will also pop up with some good lists of questions to ask a potential doula. Why did you not feel completely comfortable last time?
    There was just a personality mismatch that I didn't pay attention to. I chose her because she had taught me hypnobirthing for my first birth and I didn't consider anyone else or really think it through.

When the time came, she wasn't able to attend my birth, sent a backup (and i know this can happen) but once I got to the hospital the backup LEFT! I had another 20 hrs of labor to go.

No good. I'm interviewing new ones right now and I think I've found the one. Thanks for the advice!

A

imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"