Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Does everyone's LO say mama?

My LO (15 months) doesn't say "mama." He doesn't call me anything. He says "dada" but I'm not sure he's really referring to my husband (or anything, for that matter) when he says it. He says quite a few other words (hi, ball, bye bye, uh oh, etc.) and will repeat "mama" if I say, "Can you say mama?"

Just seems weird to me that he doesn't say mama. Probably just me wishing he'd say it. Anyone else's LO saying words but not saying mama?

Re: Does everyone's LO say mama?

• Options
    My daughter is 15 months too and she just started babbling mama. But I don't think she means me when she says it. I'm hopeful it's coming soon! = )
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It took a while after DS was saying words before he was saying mama and dada directed at me and DH; it was probably somewhere between 12-15 months.  Now he calls us mommy and daddy and just to confuse things, I think he's starting to call my mom "mama" because he's trying to say "grandma."  It's pretty funny when my mom and I are with him.  We're like - "I think he's talking to you." "No, I think he's talking to you." 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:

DS wasn't saying it at that age either. I would say he really started saying it and knowing that's what he calls me around 17-18 months. It's a harder word for them and most kids say dada a lot more. He would babble mama when he was much younger but it didn't mean anything until now.  

Sounds like your LO has other basic words down, which are easier for him to say so that's good.

OK good. I wasn't "worried" per se, since he is saying other words. But I guess before you have kids you joke about whether or not they will say mama or dada first. Who know he'd say "hi" and "ball" long before either mama or dada!
  • Options
    It took DS a little bit to actually put mama to what it meant. He said it, but didn't realize he was saying anything. He would do the same thing with dada. No he's prominently says mom and dad. Though I must say he says mom much more than dad considering he calls DH mom unless he's angry and yells 'stop dad'
    April's TTGP Siggy Challenge: Favorite Superhero
    SuperMan!
  • Options
    My DS says "mama" when he is upset and "dada" when he is happy.  It's not to anyone specific.
  • Options
    My DS says "mama" when he is upset and "dada" when he is happy.  It's not to anyone specific.
    My DS did this for a while too.  DH used to joke that "mama" was the universal distress call to DS. 
  • Options
    DD says it, but not consistently. DS didn't say it all the time until close to 18 months!

• Options
    DD is 20 months, extremely verbal and it's only been in the last month or so that she has started referring to me as 'mama.'  So, I'd say what you're experiencing is pretty normal.
  • Options
    DD doesn't say it either. If I ask her what my name is or who I am, she points at me, lol.
  • Options
    My DD didn't say Mama until she was 14.5 months. She picked it up and a week later couldn't stop saying it. She had tons of other words before that. I tease people that those that say Mama is their LOs first word are big fat liars.
  • Options
    DS has a few words, Dada included. He calls DH Dada, usually when he first sees him-first thing in the morning and when he comes home from work. Doesn't say mama! I'm not worried. If you think about it, when you're with him, you're probably right there. There's no real reason to call you anything, you know?
  • Options
    No words here so no Mama. His receptive language is good but he has no label for me, just no reason to have a name for me. I've asked my husband to label me a little bit more and that's helping (not that it matters I just want him to call me something so doing it for fun).  We are using my name not mama as he doesn't make "m" sounds at all, though right now its just about understanding the word since he's not talking.  I think its very normal not to say mama right now.  A little girl I watch occasionally says mama for her mom but she also calls me mama when she needs help or is mad about something so I agree its a universal distress call.  In fact its a little annoying so I am trying to enjoy the lack of "mama" "mama" at our house rather than be disappointed :)
  • Options
    DD definatley says da, dada or da-ee & knows what she's saying. She's been saying dada since about 9 months. She has only said mama a few times & she was really upset or wanting me to pick her up or something but she will not just say it. Nor will she repeat it =/ Little toot.. When I tell her to say mama she says DADADADADADA. lol & when I ask her where is mama she points to herself (bc I point to myself) Silly girl.. She says lots of other things so like you, I'm not worried about it, just wish she would say it & mean it already! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would say mine just started using Mama and still not often and in the way I've seen other kids do. He has more than 10 other words so it's not a language issue. He's 17m.
  • Options
    DS just started saying calling me mama in the last couple of weeks even though he has about 15 words altogether. He's been saying papa for a long time though. I don't think you need to worry.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    Thanks! Just antsy to hear it :) Although I'm sure there will be plenty of times later when I'll wish he didn't say mama!
  • Options
    Mama was one of DD's first words, but she would only say it to DH if I wasn't home. She didn't start actually calling me mama on a regular basis until recently.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    DS, 23 mo, doesn't call me anything. He doesn't really need to, I guess. He's good at getting my attention in other ways.

He knows how to say mama, though. It was his first real word. It just didn't mean what it was supposed to mean. It was multipurpose. :)

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    He has repeated it a couple of times, but has never called me mama. He says Dada, Zack (my SS's name), seems to be trying to say Grandpa and Gunner (my parents' dog's name), and cookie.

I joke that it's obvious where I rank in his life, lol.
  • Options
    My twinners are 15 months.  DS says mama but only if prompted and it's more like mmmmmmmmmmama.  He doesn't say much else other than dada.  DD doesn't at all say mama but does say dada, baba, vava and uh oh.  In fact, she creates uh oh moments (like throwing her sippy cup on the floor or taking off her shoes) just so she can say uh oh.  It's quite funny.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • Options
    Lurking, my dd is 11 months old. She said mama at 7 months. But it's not with any meaning other than comfort me. She won't say dada at all yet. She can say dog, uh oh, up (we think she means shut up, which we tell our dogs a lot) and bye bye.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP 08/14/13 EDD 04/18/14 Natural MC 08/19/13
    BFP 10/15/13 EDD 06/24/2014 Natural MC 10/23/13
    Recurrent Miscarriage Panel done 11/06/13. Results= All normal
    BFP 12/2/13 EDD July 30, 2014
    Beta 12/3/13: 19,261!
    U/S 12/13/13 heart rate 143 bpm!

My Blog
  • Options
    My twinners are 15 months.  DS says mama but only if prompted and it's more like mmmmmmmmmmama.  He doesn't say much else other than dada.  DD doesn't at all say mama but does say dada, baba, vava and uh oh.  In fact, she creates uh oh moments (like throwing her sippy cup on the floor or taking off her shoes) just so she can say uh oh.  It's quite funny.
    My DS totally throws stuff on the ground just so he can say "uh oh!" It's hilarious :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"