Baby Showers
Options

Unwrapping gifts?

Hi all, I'm hoping you ladies can shed some light for me. I have never actually been to a baby shower (or any shower) as an adult. I've lived in Europe for the past 10 years, and until very recently, these things weren't done. However, now back in NY and my mom and aunt are having a little baby shower luncheon for me in a few weeks. From what I've read/heard, part of baby showers involves the mother-to-be opening each of the presents and everyone watching (like an 80s/90s kid birthday party?). My question is - is this an expected part of the shower, and do people/guests look forward to this? Is it seen as tedious at all? Do you read out the cards as well? What do you do with said gifts after opening - leave them out so everyone can see? Repack? Clearly I am clueless here...please help me be a polite guest of honour.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Unwrapping gifts?

• Options

Yes, open the gifts.  But be relatively quick about it - don't be dainty w/ the paper, for example.  Just OPEN it.  No, don't read the cards in detail- either to yourself or to the group.  Just look at it, see who the gift is from, mention who it's from, do the appropriate "Oh - thanks so much", then move on.

As for leaving the gifts out =- some people do this>  I see no need to.  I don't really need to go analyze the gifts in detail afterwards. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Ok good tip about the speed...didn't think of that! So the gifts are what people come to see (besides the MTB and bump), but just don't make it too drawn out. Funny event for someone who doesn't like attention, isn't it : )

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    the 1st two PP are spot on. Open gift, make it quick, say thank you and move on. You don't need to leave the gifts out. I like to pack everything back in the gift bags for easy transport.
  • Options
    You gotta look at the gift-opening as a necessary ritual vs. a knee-slapping good time. It's like saying grace at dinner, or going down the receiving line at a wedding. Of course many people do find watching the gift-opening tedious, and I think most MTBs do find in awkward to have all eyes on the for that long, but you do it because it's the right thing to do to show proper appreciation for the gifts you are being given. Skim cards quickly without reading them aloud, smiling as appropriate, mention out loud who each gift is from, open it quickly and then hold up each gift, expressing genuine pleasure at having received it. Repeat. One more tip: ask a friend/your mom to write down who gave what as you open the gifts to help you out when it's time to write thank you notes.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies - feeling more prepared. : )

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    You gotta look at the gift-opening as a necessary ritual vs. a knee-slapping good time. It's like saying grace at dinner, or going down the receiving line at a wedding. Of course many people do find watching the gift-opening tedious, and I think most MTBs do find in awkward to have all eyes on the for that long, but you do it because it's the right thing to do to show proper appreciation for the gifts you are being given.

This is spot on.  And at showers done "correctly", an atmosphere is created where people can talk and chit chat while the gift opening is going on.  I went to a shower a couple years ago where this was NOT the atmosphere (for one, no background music) and everyone sat in total silence while the MTB opened gifts.  THAT was tedious.

But - like I said, when done correctly, the gift open - while perhaps still awkward for the MTB- isn't this tedious process for the guests. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    CDalloway said:
    What do you do with said gifts after opening - leave them out so everyone can see? Repack? 
    What I've done as a hostess is make sure that the MTB has someone on either side of her prepared to help with expediting the gift opening.  The person to her left will grab an unopened gift, make sure the card or tag is on top (sometimes people put them inside gift bags) and hand the gift to the MTB as soon as her hands are empty.  The MTB reads the card, opens and admires the gift then hands off the whole works, wrap and all to the person to her left and moves on to the next gift.  The person to her left then puts the wrap in a trash bag or puts the gift back into a bag if it was included, slides the card into the bag/box and neatly stacks the gifts usually behind the MTBs chair since people rarely will be sitting there.  A 3rd helper usually writes down who things are from and what they are just in case a card gets unattached from a gift.

At many showers this arrangement forms itself with little/no urging but if it doesn't you should feel free to ask for volunteers, since it helps a LOT to keep the gift unwrapping quick.
  • Options
    This is great...I can visualize the process as if I've been to one. Thank you! @tricia560 Hope to have a little unwrapping buddy as well - that sounds adorable.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"