TTC after 35

Affordable Care Act - Fertility Coverage

This is by no means meant to stir a political discussion. I just wanted to let you know that IF you are in a mandated state but your employer is self-insured (meaning they get out of paying for the fertility treatments your state requires), it's possible you can buy insurance for yourself and it will have to be covered starting 1/14. I looked into this a little bit several months ago but I didn't qualify because I had a preexisting condition - infertility. Before the ACA, insurers could exclude for preexisting conditions. Once the ACA is in effect, they cannot deny for preexisting conditions.

While the insurance would NOT be cheap in the least (monthly premiums will likely be $1K plus), it may be cheaper than IVF out of pocket.

It's just an idea. If you need IVF and are paying out of pocket, you have to be creative. Also don't forget if you're a regular nestie you may qualify to participate in the out of pocket meds program. I was generously gifted $700 worth of Menopur which really helped! There's also online pharmacies (legit) that carry fertility meds. I shopped around and paid a lot less. It was confusing and a pain to work with three different pharmacies, but the money savings were worth it!
Me:39 Dx LPD, Fibroid, AMA and all that goes with that. H:37 Dx low motility and low morphology. TTC since 3/12. Clomid 8/12 and 9/12: BFN. 11/12 on a break for Myomectomy sched. 11/26. Resume TTC early 2013.

Re: Affordable Care Act - Fertility Coverage

• I shopped around and paid a lot less. It was confusing and a pain to work with three different pharmacies, but the money savings were worth it!
    If you dont mind sharing what other companies have you used. I am looking for help with this in anyway possible
  • Thank you for sharing the information.  Is there a website or insurance company you speak with?  My insurance doesn't cover inferility treatment but it covers ferility drug. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I contacted an agent and he had a website that had comparisons of all the plans - blue cross, etc.
    Me:39 Dx LPD, Fibroid, AMA and all that goes with that. H:37 Dx low motility and low morphology. TTC since 3/12. Clomid 8/12 and 9/12: BFN. 11/12 on a break for Myomectomy sched. 11/26. Resume TTC early 2013.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"