Nurseries and Baby Gear

Do I NEED a PNP?

We're currently living in a large, but still one bedroom condo, and everyone swears pack n plays are amazing, but I'm thinking, do we really need one? The crib is already in our room, our house is small enough it isn't really inconvenient to
Have to babe nap in the crib or come in the room for the changing table. I guess it might be helpful when staying with grandparents, but I think they were planning on buying their own anyway.

So, experienced mommys, do we need it?

Re: Do I NEED a PNP?

• We've only used ours for travel.  The kiddos grow out of it around 2 years (in height/weight) so keep that in mind too.   We ended up buying one for my parents and when we've flown we have made sure the hotel had something or rented one.    While I'm glad we've had one and have used it a lot, it is by no means a necessity.

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Sounds like no. I would hold off. You could always get a cheap one later if you find yourself needing it. We have only used ours 3 times while traveling. I'm glad we got one of the cheap ones. I don't think we have gotten enough use to make it worth buying.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • We have a moderately sized 2 story house and only use ours for traveling. LO is 3.5 months and we actually just started using it-previously we took the RNP. it sounds like it doesn't fit your lifestyle, so I say unnecessary at this point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart

TTC #1 Since July 2012-BFP Sept 27, EDD June 9, 2013, Arrived June 14, 2013
    My blog-The Wino That I Know
  • We lived in a two story place when LO was born I used it every day. When he was 6 months we moved and only used it for travel after that. I like the convience of it. But if you don't have the space it's definitely something I think you can skip
  • We live in a single story 3br and only used the pnp for occasionally. I certainly don't think it was necessary but it was a gift.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • We have one that we use for travel, but DD slept in a RNP until 4 months so we only started using it after that.  I think it is something you can hold off on and if you need it down the road you can get one then. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did not buy one till I needed it for going to a vacation rental that did not supply one. My lo won't play in it that is for sure!

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• ebp913ebp913 member
    edited October 2013
    We travel a lot and rarely do hotels (we love VRBO) so we need one but otherwise I probably could have skipped it. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • We live in a small 2 bedroom so similar space situation. I bought one and rarely used it. I was going to return it and someone said it would be great for travel but honestly it's a big thing to take along on a trip. Most hotels will have cribs if you request them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't have one and have never needed one. LO never slept in my room and we don't travel much. When we have traveled we have stayed in a hotel and used their PNP's. When DS got old enough to move around he wouldn't have been content to be that confined. We just baby proofed the house really well so we can step away to use the restroom etc. without incident.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Feb 2016 Siggy Challenge, Favorite Thing About Fall
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Probably not.  Ours was briefly a play pen and then toy storage when we were lazy.  They are great for travel (though most hotels have them available).

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We only used ours for travel. I have never used it in our home.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• We were one of few who never had one. My in laws and parents both bought one so when we fly in to see them there is a bed waiting. From day one my DD has slept in her crib so no need for PNP. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No unless you travel a lot. With that being said DD us almost a year and will only sleep in the PNP ... Kinda feel bad for not buying her a nicer one, lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 1 yr, BFP m/c 6weeks IUI #1-8 BFN IVF #1-2 - BFN Laproscopic - clear IVF #3 - BFP!!!!! 12/23 Beta #1-122, 12/29 Beta #2 - 1230, 1/4 Beta #3 8000+
  • We have used ours when traveling (car trips only, not if we have to fly) and for a place to put DD while we're showering in the morning. 

You can always get a $70 crib to leave at the grandparents if they don't mind leaving it set up.  Of course there are PNPs that cost the same and they can be put away when not in use.

• Never used one. Never needed it.

#1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • we used ours in our bedroom when DD was first born, while her crib was set up in her bedroom. After she started sleeping in her crib we didn't use it too much. Its actually at my mom's now for when she occasionally stays over there. We did buy a second super basic model for travelling which we've used a few times. 
    So I'd say for us, it was necessary, even if only on a limited basis. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"