North Carolina Babies

Help! - Need to find a Dr/Labor & Delivery Hospital in Research Triangle ASAP

Hi Ladies!  My DH and I just learned we will be moving to Cary, NC December 1st from Chicago.  I am due January 11th, so I'll be well into my third trimester by then.  I am unfamiliar with the options in the research triangle (is this correct, or do people say tri-city triangle?).  We would be willing to drive to Chapel Hill, Durham, and will be pretty close to Raleigh.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I will need to make an appointment to see someone soon and need some help.  Thank you!!! 

By the way, we are excited about moving to NC!  It's gorgeous.  
imageimage
Mama of boys, Landon (Jan 14) and Harrison (Aug 15).  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Help! - Need to find a Dr/Labor & Delivery Hospital in Research Triangle ASAP

• I love my OB, Dr Welch.  He's located in Cary next to Wake Med Cary Hospital.  His practice name is Welch OB/GYN.  I've heard it's difficult to change OBs late in the 3rd trimester so you may need your current OB to "refer" you or call an OB here so they know you've been receiving care.  Welcome to the Triangle!!!!

• I went to Raleigh OBGYN at Rex and loved it!
  • Loading the player...
  • First, Welcome to NC!

Secondly, I would pick one of the hospitals in the area where you feel comfortable delivering and go from there. I delivered my 1st at Duke in Durham and wanted a different experience (and better PP rooms) so I am now delivering my second at Wake Med in Cary. Some of the most popular hospitals in the area are Duke (in Durham), Rex (in Raleigh), Wake Med (in Cary) and the birthing center in Chapel Hill. I would call the hospital and ask to speak to the head nurse in L & D that is working that day and ask who they would recommend. 

Also, a little local FYI...No one calls it The Research Triangle when referring to the area, they call it The Triangle (Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Durham and all the towns in between). There is also The Research Triangle Park (commonly referred to as RTP) which refers to the area where all the offices and business are located (mostly tech and pharma companies and R&D centers). There isn't a hospital located in RTP. Hope my explanation is somewhat clear :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic     
  • @SittingOnAMtnTop - Thank you so much for the information on hospitals.  Also, I appreciate the FYI re "Research Triangle"!  I'm glad I know that now so I won't say it anymore.  :) 

Everyone, thank you for you advice, I appreciate it.  My DH and I are so excited to move to NC! 
    imageimage
    Mama of boys, Landon (Jan 14) and Harrison (Aug 15).  

• No problem! If you need any more info on Duke or Wake Med Cary feel free to PM me!

Also, most of the hospitals have "virtual tours" posted on their websites so you can take a look at what their rooms & facilities look like.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic     
  • I live in Cary and will be delivering at Wake Med in Cary. I debated going to UNC but decided against it because it is a teaching hospital and the thought of having a resident give me an epidural was too scary. Duke Hospital in Durham is also a teaching medical center.  The practice I chose is Triangle Physicians for Women in Cary. The good thing about them is that they have several midwives on staff, in addition to doctors.
  • I live on the Cary/Raleigh border and am going to Rex. We use Mid Carolina OB/GYN, and see a MFM through UNC who is located inside the birthing center at Rex. I only know one person who deliver at little wake (Cary) and one at big wake (Raleigh). Everyone else I know went to Rex!
    photo 334932ce-4f16-4b35-8d49-b4c5beb158c9.jpg

Anniversary 

• I saw the doctors at Durham OB/GYN and delivered at Durham Regional Hospital.  (I think now it is called Duke Regional).  The maternity ward at the hospital has been completely renovated.  Smaller rooms, but very nice.  We had a great experience with both the OB office and hospital.   
    BFP 5/6/12 MC 5/23/12
    BFP 7/22/12 DD born 4/9/13
    BFP 4/11/14 EDD 12/18/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I gave birth last Saturday at wakemed of Cary. I loved it there! It's a birthing center and they are VERY supportive. Spacious rooms that felt like a hotel, rooms that overlook an enclose private garden area, lactation consultants that come every day and help, tub birthing with jets, very nice staff... I could go on. Parking is easy there too and super convenient to just park right up at the door if you feel like you're about to have that baby.

For practice I used Triangle Physicians for Women and loooove Deb, Heather and their OBs. If you're looking for pediatricians I recommend Cary Pediatrics. 
  • After having a bad experience at a ob office I went to KM Obgyn of Raleigh and would recommend them any day of the week! They deliver at wake med raleigh which isn't always a "popular" hospital but they have one of the top NICUs in the country (nobody wants to think of something going wrong but if it does it's good to be at the best)... Welcome to the area!! It'll be a change from Chicago (I love that city!!) but hopefully you'll love it! Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"