July 2013 Moms
Options

I dare someone to try this...

Apparently it's called "Elimination Communication"....no diapers since day 1..... I've never heard of such a thing... https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12111495/is-anyone-else-doing-diaper-free#latest
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it.  ~Irena Chalmers

Re: I dare someone to try this...

• Options
    ....... I have a hard time with this one.  I know babies are smart but they don't even have control over that bodily function for a while, right?
    Our little Sweetpea 
    photo 62d4d618-8ee8-46d9-ae5d-705799d4d9da.jpg

BFP #1 04/27/12 | blighted ovum, m/c 05/30/12 @ ?? weeks, D&C 06/01/12 BFP #2 11/06/12 | DD born 07/10/13 BFP #3 10/07/13
  • Options
    It's not about them having control. It's about learning to read their signals and knowing when they are going pee or poop.

I would never do this, but there is an EC group within the company that I buy my baby carriers from (metro minis in NYC). I think it's terribly difficult and really, really impractical in everyday life.
    Mom to three girls and pregnant with #4!
    L: 7/12/13
    C: 5/11/15
    E: 3/7/17
    Due 11/10/18
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I actually am thinking about trying a version of infant potty training, mostly because it is glaringly obvious when my LO is about to poop. She knows she's going (or at least that "something" is going on), and I always say "poop, poop, poop" with praise when she's going in her diaper.

I bought the Kindle version of Infant Potty Training: With or Without Diapers here and have been reading it. I plan to pick up a baby potty on my next BRU trip and see how much progress we can make. I have no expectations that she will be 100% diaper free, or fully potty trained anytime soon, but I do want to work on her understanding and familiarity so that potty training isn't a rough experience.

There is no way I wanted to deal with it at the newborn stage, though. I think we averaged 12 poopy diapers a day during those first 6 weeks or so.
  • Options
    I will do as I did with DD. I will wait until she shows me that she is ready to be trained. Much less stressful for her and I both.
  • Options

Pink724 said:
    It's not about them having control. It's about learning to read their signals and knowing when they are going pee or poop. I would never do this, but there is an EC group within the company that I buy my baby carriers from (metro minis in NYC). I think it's terribly difficult and really, really impractical in everyday life.
    @pink724 - ohhh, ok! Well that makes a little more sense, but like you said sounds impractical.  Why can't you read signs with their diapers on?
    Our little Sweetpea 

BFP #1 04/27/12 | blighted ovum, m/c 05/30/12 @ ?? weeks, D&C 06/01/12 BFP #2 11/06/12 | DD born 07/10/13 BFP #3 10/07/13
  • Options
    Bkuhman said:
    I will do as I did with DD. I will wait until she shows me that she is ready to be trained. Much less stressful for her and I both.
    I can get on board with doing this when they are ready!  I'm just imagining a newborn who seems to poo 5+ times and pee 12+ times a day!  I can't even imagine..
    Our little Sweetpea 

• Options
    kalemikalemi member
    edited October 2013
    I think on a fffc from several weeks ago someone said they were about to start e/c
  • Options
    Ummmm no .... That is all. Lol

imageimageimage

• Options
    Having potty trained a lot.... It's not that scary. I wouldn't waste any time or energy on it now. You can actually mess up more than you help if you are "too involved". Bt the ages of 2-3 roughly. Wait until you see clear signs of readiness. Kinda like labor you will know when it's real. Then you spend a week of your life devoted to the process, praising all efforts, saying yay still dry..etc.. No daytime pull ups, go all in, and you're done. It's really not that bad... The horror stories come when you miss the window of opportunity. There is a definite window per each child. I've had 3 by totally ready at 2 yo and 2 not until 3 yo. Go with the flow, ha
    Agreed! Granted, I have only done it once, but Corri started recognizing that she peed/pooped at about 19 months (October), so I just started sticking her on the toilet and celebrating if she did something. We happened to catch a poop first and made a huge deal of it and she realized she didn't like having a dirty butt...she was poop trained by Thanksgiving of that year. She was clearly ready, so I ran with it. Pee took slightly longer, but she was day trained a month after her 2nd birthday and night trained at 2.5 (when I moved her to a bed from a crib, no point before that because she would have just woken me up to take her to pee in the MOTN since she couldn't get out of the crib herself).

I also think that people tend to be lazy about it because the "experts" claim a kid isn't "ready" until between 2.5 and 3...so they just listen to the experts because they don't want to make the effort, hence why so many friends of mind are still trying to fully PT their 3.5 year olds (half of them thought I was deranged for starting PT at 19 months). If Gavin shows signs of early readiness, I am running with it again, lol!
  • Options
    I understand the concept of starting it around the time they are ready to potty train but this mother said she's starting DAY 1! That just seems bizzare to me but who am I to judge. :-) I just foresee it turning into a mess....
    There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it.  ~Irena Chalmers
  • Options
    I know it was said up thread but EC is really fundamentally NOT potty training. You are not in ANY way trying to get them to control their elimination, just giving them a chance to associate it with a cue and keeping an eye for when you think it will happen.

I thought about it but it was too much work for me. It takes a lot of time and focus that I didn't have even though I am mostly a SAHM.

That post was freaking ridiculous though. She is the textbook "perfect mom before I had kids", ha.

• Options
    We are doing it now at almost 2.5. We've been trying to get her to do it for about a year but she truly wasn't ready. She is now pretty much done. We still have to ask her but she'll let us know most of the time and she hasn't had many accidents at all. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options

For real, some of these people I want to check back with after their kids are a year or two old and say " remember when you said you were going to do this? " or " remember when you swore you would NEVER do that? " and then laugh.

It's so easy before you have kids to have grand plans of what you will and won't do. I know. I remember. But then you have the baby. Then the baby becomes a toddler. And so on. And you realize you aren't in charge!

Riiiiiiight?? I've eaten so much crow it's ridiculous, and I went into parenting thinking I was so "flexible"! And my oldest is only 20 mo; I'm sure there's more to come!

• Options
    I dunno, I get the cues thing and I get that it's not potty training but to me not putting your kid in a diaper seems like a self inflicted nightmare. If DD starts being more aware that she's peeing or pooping at 15 months (or whenever), I will start taking her to the toilet and begin teaching how to use bathroom.. But a newborn goes way too much for that, IMO.

But.. To each their own, right?! :)
    Our little Sweetpea 

• Options
    Having potty trained a lot.... It's not that scary. I wouldn't waste any time or energy on it now. You can actually mess up more than you help if you are "too involved". Bt the ages of 2-3 roughly. Wait until you see clear signs of readiness. Kinda like labor you will know when it's real. Then you spend a week of your life devoted to the process, praising all efforts, saying yay still dry..etc.. No daytime pull ups, go all in, and you're done. It's really not that bad... The horror stories come when you miss the window of opportunity. There is a definite window per each child. I've had 3 by totally ready at 2 yo and 2 not until 3 yo. Go with the flow, ha
    @Citrusfamily, have any of your kids ever scared themselves from going #2? I've seen and heard of so many kids getting constipated and then fighting going and making it worse, then turning the whole training process into a nightmare. I'd like to avoid that kind of problem if possible.
  • Options

Having potty trained a lot.... It's not that scary. I wouldn't waste any time or energy on it now. You can actually mess up more than you help if you are "too involved". Bt the ages of 2-3 roughly. Wait until you see clear signs of readiness. Kinda like labor you will know when it's real.
    Then you spend a week of your life devoted to the process, praising all efforts, saying yay still dry..etc.. No daytime pull ups, go all in, and you're done. It's really not that bad... The horror stories come when you miss the window of opportunity. There is a definite window per each child. I've had 3 by totally ready at 2 yo and 2 not until 3 yo. Go with the flow, ha

This, I have trained two kids, one boy one girl. My dd took about a week, my son took 2 days ( ok I might have lucked out with him). And I'm sure this unpopular, but I was ready for them to be out of diapers and once we took them out I absolutely would not put them back in.....yes I cleaned up messes, but it really wasn't a big deal and we just committed to staying home while doing it. It's great to know their cues, but I don't really think ec does much except train the parents. Bad enough running around finding a bathroom with a 2 year old, I definitely don't want to for my infant.......

Karen - 36      DH - 39

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I feel like diapers are waaaay easier than a potty trained infant. Now, he just does his thing wherever we are. I'd hate to run to the bathroom when it looked like he was getting ready to pee or poop.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • Options
    It's not training the baby. It's training the caregivers.

• Options
    EagleWife said:

I actually am thinking about trying a version of infant potty training, mostly because it is glaringly obvious when my LO is about to poop. She knows she's going (or at least that "something" is going on), and I always say "poop, poop, poop" with praise when she's going in her diaper.

I bought the Kindle version of Infant Potty Training: With or Without Diapers here and have been reading it. I plan to pick up a baby potty on my next BRU trip and see how much progress we can make. I have no expectations that she will be 100% diaper free, or fully potty trained anytime soon, but I do want to work on her understanding and familiarity so that potty training isn't a rough experience.

There is no way I wanted to deal with it at the newborn stage, though. I think we averaged 12 poopy diapers a day during those first 6 weeks or so.
    This is us too. I knew I wasn't going to bother until around now...plus we are only looking at it part time. Its because I can tell fairly easily when he is going to poop...esp in the am when he wakes up and generally after naps. Even full time I think most people still keep their kids in diapers.

I'm on mat leave for a year so I figured I'd give it a try. If anything I hoped to get DS used to the toilet and hoped to save myself a few diaper washes. A friend of mine did this with her DS and he was letting her know he had to poop and wanted the toilet by 15months (he still wore diapers tho).

Whatever works...

• Options
    ramy3695 said:
    I have a friend who did EC part time starting when her daughter was around 4 months. It worked for her, but again, this was part time. I'm not sure how it would be possible to do it full time. It's just not practical. Of course, I guess I'm one of those "lazy" parents whose three year old still isn't potty trained.

8-| No one said having a non PTd three jar old = lazy parent. Refusing to even try because the so called experts claim your kid isn't ready, is.
  • Options
    My question is...what the heck do the babies wear? Panties? I don't think I could do this with Eva, she's a piss pot. I still go through at least one poop and literally about 15 pee diapers a day. She will have a dime size pee, and no blue line in the pamper yet and scream to get it off. It would be holy hell with my babe.
  • Options
    FFS.. What is everyone obsession with their LO's doing everything early?!! It's like people want their 5 month old to be potty trained, have teeth, eat steaks, and talk about Shakespeare... Oh and play the violin.
    ^^  :))  I totally agree with this. 
    Our little Sweetpea 

• Options
    My 13 week old plays the violin...
  • Options
    I'm going to seriously attempt yo potty train DD between Christmas and new years while I'm off. She has been sitting on the potty some since 15 mos. I wanted to have her trained before Parker was born but that was an overly ambitious pipe dream. But she's starting to ask to go to the potty, if something happens we cheer and dance like idiots but if not no biggie.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    We made a rookie error with DS by pushing when he wasn't ready. He pee trained in a weekend easily but it took him months and months and months and months to have a bm. It got to the point where he would hold it so long he would get sick. Three separate times the pediatrician had to give suppositories because he held it so long it became painful and couldn't come out. It was terrible. We immediately backed off but the damage was done and it took forever until he was ready. Now he goes with no problems which we thought would never happen. Never ever ever again will I push. When my kid is ready, we will try , whether that is at 2 or 3 or 3.5 or whenever. Seriously it was a horrible time. I would say that's been my biggest parent failure to date. We thought he was ready so we jumped on it and when he showed signs of wanting to stop, we kept pushing since we had already started and didn't want to regress. We totally should have stopped. Anyways he is fully potty trained now but it was after months and months and months of stressing.
    @lizabethann06 How old was your DS when you started trying the first time and ended up with all the problems? 
  • Options
    I would love to do this, but I don't feel I have the time to completely focus on LO's "signals" when she's about to go to the bathroom. If I had known about it with my first baby, then I might have tried it. But now? I don't have the time to do a good job of it.

Anniversary imageLilypie - (fQ49)

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Yep, I totally agree that this time around I'm so much more laid back about everything. I wasn't very high-strung at all with ds1, but I stressed about getting him out of the swaddle and the rnp. Not this time. It was so easy when he was ready. It'll happen when it happens is my motto this time around.
    Mom to Jacob, Henry and Ian Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Well I'll be the rookie parent with the uo here. Remember when I talked about Isaac screaming every time he pees? I read about this method when trying to get answers or help for him. I have considered trying it just to help him. Not at all to potty train him, but I feel so bad about his level of discomfort in a wet diaper. I'm desperate.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I practiced EC with DS1, I didn't start until he was about 3 mo old though and had better head control. I really enjoyed the experience. It's not practical for everyone, but I love the concept, and a lot of the world does this anyway so it isn't impractical for everyone. One doesn't have to be totally diaper free, I used them at night and when we were out of the house. I got to the point where I was catching most BMs, pee was harder for me to catch, but I did catch quite a lot. At 9 mo I stopped though. he started fighting me on the potty, he was also fighting me during diaper changes and quit nursing cold turkey. It was a rough week.

I didn't try at all with DS2, who at 2.75 isn't PT'd yet, but we're starting to work on it. I might have more success catching DDs signals than DS2's!

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Altima80Altima80 member
    edited October 2013
    @queenbone What was the signal your baby gave when needing to pee?
  • Options
    sdtchica13sdtchica13 member
    edited October 2013
    @EagleWife he was 2.5 years old. I have friends whose sons were trained by that time so I didn't think anything of starting to try then. And he pee trained super quick. What we did wrong was when he was all scared over having a bm on the toilet, we didn't back off. We weren't mean of course- we had a sticker chart for prizes and acted like maniac cheerleaders whenever he even tried. But we should have backed off when he started holding it in. Instead we kept pushing. He finally trained this summer at 3.5 and now goes with no problems. But it was rough for awhile. My advice would be to give it a shot if your munchkin seems ready but if you notice major anxiety and withholding bms for a loooong time, stop and try another time.

I think we got lucky with Corri in catching a poop on the potty first...because it was her doing (by sheer dumb luck), and we didn't have to push anything, she never got that poop fear.
  • Options
    2012ames said:
    Well I'll be the rookie parent with the uo here. Remember when I talked about Isaac screaming every time he pees? I read about this method when trying to get answers or help for him. I have considered trying it just to help him. Not at all to potty train him, but I feel so bad about his level of discomfort in a wet diaper. I'm desperate.
    Nahh, not a rookie parent, just trying to do what's best for your kid.  I hope it helps him should you decide to give it a go!  GL!
    Our little Sweetpea 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"