Texas Babies

Ob recommendations Medical Center

Hi!

I just took a pregnancy test a couple days ago and it was positive! Looking for a female ob in the northwest/medical center area. I like my current gyn, but there is ALWAYS a long wait...any recommendations? 

Re: Ob recommendations Medical Center

• First, Congratulations!! No matter where you go, you won't be seen until you are at least 8 weeks.  I called all over and that was what I was told.  I did a little bit of research and found the Oak Hills Women's Center on Huebner Rd.  A husband and wife are the main owners, and they hired another woman pretty recently.  From what I read, she is the one who deals with pregnancy and delivery.  I like the thought that I will know my doctor.  Some offices have 10 doctors and you can be seen by any of them!
    My appointment is not until mid-August, but I will update with my experience.
    Hope this helped!

https://www.oakhillswomenscenter.com/webmailv2.asp?wpid=30
  • I went to Dr Hilliard. He delivers at Methodist. He was an awesome dr!

imageimage

BFP #1 July 4, 2011 Baby girl born Feb 22, 2012!!
    BFP #2 December 17, 2012 MMC January 24, 2013
    BFP #3 April 7, 2013 Baby girl born December 11, 2013!!
    Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
    You can follow her at. Www.ameliafaithsheart.blogspot.com
  • Loading the player...
  • I see Dr. Jacobs at Lonestar Ob/gyn and really like her.  I feel like she's worked with me to get the births I want, but won't jeopardize you or the baby's health. I've had two pain med free births and feel she supported my decisions and held off on interventions until she felt they were really necessary.  I trust her a lot.  I've heard great things about many of the doctors in the practice.  They practice also works with the Lonestar midwives, whom are great also.  
  • First off, congrats. :)

That being said, I've found most places have a long wait unfortunately. Before picking a doctor, I'd pick a hospital to deliver and choose someone who is affiliated.

Also, I would definitely NOT recommend going to Institute for Women's Health. My original doctor for my last pregnancy was there. She was great but the ladies at the front desk were extremely rude and disrespectful. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • thank you for the feedback, it's so tough choosing a dr.!

I never thought of choosing the hospital first. Are there any hospitals y'all recommend?

• imagetxcolibri:

thank you for the feedback, it's so tough choosing a dr.!

I never thought of choosing the hospital first. Are there any hospitals y'all recommend?

Def. the Methodist in the medical center! It has the best care for babies after their born. I have a neonatal nurse in the family, she goes to hospitals all over San Antonio checking on the baby nurses and what not, she made sure that I was going to be delivering at Methodist because it's the best hospital in San Antonio. 

7922 Ewing Halsell Dr Suite 170
    San Antonio, TX 78229
    (210) 614-7993 (Office)

That is the office that my doctor is with. He is fantastic. George Hilliard. Because he is male, he has a shorter waiting period..I guess because some women prefer female doctors, but he made me feel very comfortable. 

During labor he respected every one of my wishes and in the end I had to have a c-section, he did a fantastic job. I healed really well, and only had to take pain meds for one week. I don't know if that's because he did a good job, or if I heal well...haha but I recommend him to all my friends! Good luck and congrats!

imageimage

BFP #1 July 4, 2011 Baby girl born Feb 22, 2012!!
    BFP #2 December 17, 2012 MMC January 24, 2013
    BFP #3 April 7, 2013 Baby girl born December 11, 2013!!
    Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
    You can follow her at. Www.ameliafaithsheart.blogspot.com
  • Congrats!

I wanted to say Methodist is a great medical center hospital. My OB is with Seven Oaks Women's Center- Dr. Gallagher- she's great; so is the office. It's right behind the hospital. I'm 6mths along and they will answer questions and help you in the right direction.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Great thank you so much! Am looking into Methodist---getting excited!

• I'm so glad i read these posts. I just found out I'm pregnant with my first on Monday. I want to deliver at Methodist too but i just found out the doctori'm going to delivers at St Lukes. Have y'all heard anything good or bad about st lukes baptist hospital?

i might need to switch doctors. I really wanted to get into Seven Oaks but the wait was forever!! I did tons of research 6 months ago but in the end i was impatient and went with first available instead.  

• Dr Jacobs does both Methodist and St. Luke's.  I delivered at St. Luke's because they are more natural birth friendly than Methodist.  I toured both hospitals and I preferred St. Luke's.  At least two years ago, I found St. Luke's delivery rooms much nicer.  I also felt during the tours that St. Luke's was more willing to accommodate my requests.  Methodist has nicer VIP rooms if you're going to pay for them.  
  • I delivered all three of my kids at St. Luke's (the most recent in March of this year). I love it there! I was with Institute for Women's Health (Dr. Dooley) on Toepperwein Rd (NE side) for my first, and with the Lonestar Midwives for my second and third. I made the switch to the midwives because I wanted to give birth without meds, but I liked Dr. Dooley as well.

One thing I did notice about having an ob (or at least, this particular ob) was that my visits were super short. Like, in and out in 10 minutes or less (sometimes including the wait). He would ask if I had any questions, but since I was a parent educator I was pretty knowledgeable about pregnancy and childbirth, so I never did have questions. 

The midwives were much more personal, and very warm. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagetmgarza:

I'm so glad i read these posts. I just found out I'm pregnant with my first on Monday. I want to deliver at Methodist too but i just found out the doctori'm going to delivers at St Lukes. Have y'all heard anything good or bad about st lukes baptist hospital?

i might need to switch doctors. I really wanted to get into Seven Oaks but the wait was forever!! I did tons of research 6 months ago but in the end i was impatient and went with first available instead.  

It's pretty standard to have to wait for an appointment at almost any practice unless you're pregnant. Once you're pregnant they set you an appointment by how for along you are. Some practices want to see you at 8 weeks, some at 12 weeks. It just depends on their policy, but they do schedule you for an appointment at the appropriate time frame.

I don't know about St. Lukes, but I have been told Methodist is ranked number one for their NICU and other services in the women's center. If you want to switch doctors, I suggest switching early in your pregnancy instead of waiting. 

• I agree Methodist in the Medical Center is great. I delivered my first there in July 2010. Her care was amazing both in the NICU and PICU.

My OB that time was Dr. Robert Young. He was a great doctor. He is an older gentleman but very sweet. Always had time to answer my questions being a ftm. I would sometimes have to wait a little longer but that's because he's the only doctor in the office. He also delivered my daughter (no on-call doctor for me) and make sure to check up on her after he knew she had heart problems. Never felt pressured for payment or rushed for any reason. He just made me very comfortable. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dr Cerny-Leecock is my female OB with Lonestar OB/GYN, and delivers at St. Luke's (where I chose to deliever) amongst other hospitals. She's pretty amazing, and as a registered nurse I really did my research! Dr Hilliard is my long-time friend's father and is pretty great, too. I just prefer female, but it's all up to you! Good luck!
  • My Ob is Dr. Pilkington at Dignity Women's Center. He's an amazing doctor, and their rates are much lower than most other offices. Also delivers at Methodist.
  • I have been with the Midwives at Lonestar OB/GYN since the beginning of my pregnancy and they are awesome. There are 5 midwives and you get to meet with all of them so that on the day of your delivery you will be comfortable with whom ever is on call that day/night. I have never had any long waits to see them and they always have time to listen to any questions or concerns. Their beliefs are less interventions and let the labor progress naturally but can and will use medical intervention if necessary. They deliver at St. Luke's hospital which I like because it is a smaller hospital which is accustomed to natural birthing. Good luck on your pregnancy! =)
  • i love my OB/GYN she is amazing ! i feel super comfortable telling or asking anything she puts me at ease but excites me all at the same time. Dr. Marcy Rosen she is amazing off of stone oak parkway north central baptist. 
  • I see Dr. Bilica through the Institute of Women's Health. She's through St. Lukes. They usually get me in pretty quickly; and my work schedule is pretty hard at times to work around, but they are able to do it. I'm new to the area having moved here in May. We didn't find out we were expecting will week 14; they've been really nice and answer any and all of my questions. I'm not 22 weeks and have my 2nd ultrasound next week; can't wait to see how my lil man's grown; he's sure moving around in there a lot!!
  • I second Dr. Gallagher at Seven Oaks Women's Center!  I was under her care during my first pregnancy and she puts you 100% at ease.  My experience delivering at Methodist was outstanding and I look forward to delivering there again in June. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have been going to Four Season's OB/GYN in the Medical Center.  They have an amazing staff and the place is well kept.  It feels more like a boutique than a doctor's office, very nicely decorated and comfortable.  Check out fourseasonsobgyn.com.  Both doctor's female (if that is something you prefer).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"