Special Needs
Options

When your child is lost

I'm absolutely heart broken for the child missing in Queens. I posted below.

I have five year old twin boys with ASD.
They are runners. It's very hard going anywhere because they are too big for double shopping carts and strollers.
I hate being stuck at home. I usually take them to a play ground that is enclosed and pretty empty.

One of my biggest fears is for one to get lost. One is non verbal and the other just knows a few sentences but mostly is echolalia.

Has anyone used or is using a GPS system?
I'm thinking of getting this one
https://m.pocketfinder.com
A little pricy but it will give me that piece of mind if one takes off that I can at least pin point the area.

They are both registered with the state with full name, picture and finger prints with the information that they are non verbal and have autism. I don't think this is enough to keep them safe.
Any ideas?

Re: When your child is lost

• Options
    https://www.myfilip.com/

This was just announced yesterday. It will be available for the holidays.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you! We've been dealing with this with DS1 who will chase after or try to get to police cars/security officers/etc. when he sees them. I didn't know that these things existed and we have been requiring him to wear a sticker or temporary tattoos with our and his info when we o certain places. When he was 3, he ran away from me while I was pregnant because he saw a police officer walking out of the store that we were in. Luckily, the officer stopped and chatted with him while I waddled to them but he would have kept following him if he hadn't.
  • Options
    Zeidy01 said: I'm absolutely heart broken for the child missing in Queens. I posted below. I have five year old twin boys with ASD. They are runners. It's very hard going anywhere because they are too big for double shopping carts and strollers. I hate being stuck at home. I usually take them to a play ground that is enclosed and pretty empty. One of my biggest fears is for one to get lost. One is non verbal and the other just knows a few sentences but mostly is echolalia. Has anyone used or is using a GPS system? I'm thinking of getting this one https://m.pocketfinder.com A little pricy but it will give me that piece of mind if one takes off that I can at least pin point the area. They are both registered with the state with full name, picture and finger prints with the information that they are non verbal and have autism. I don't think this is enough to keep them safe. Any ideas? I read this and it sounds exactly like me.  Chris is a runner and him running off and getting lost has always been my biggest fear - even before we discovered he was special needs and now even worse because like yours, he really only communicates in "I want" and echolalia.  He might be able to tell you his name is Christopher but wouldn't be able to tell you his last name or anything beyond that.  And I say because if he's upset he would shut down on you and just cry/scream.  

He's run out into traffic before and thank God nothing's happened but yeah, we've super safeguarded our new place - deadbolts, hotel lock on the front door, locks and hook/loop locks on doors leading to the balconies, which works now that he's 3 and little but I'm afraid for what happens when he gets bigger and can suddenly reach the hotel lock and all the extra stuff we've put on the door.  

And now this Avonte Oquendo thing - terrifies me, brings me to tears every time I even think about it.  In the photos they share of him, something about his eyes make me think of Chris and the video of him running out - it's like watching Chris - tall and lanky and fast as all get out.  Heedless of anyone calling out to him.  

Thank you for the GPS link.  I'm trying to find something that would help us track him.  I'm also going to look into the medic alert bracelets but I don't think he'd keep one on.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"