January 2014 Moms

CPT: Real or Fake?

mrsjennimrsjenni member
edited October 2013 in January 2014 Moms
I know it's not Tuesday, but apparently I'm on a poll kick, so deal with it and just click all the things.

What kind of Christmas tree do you put up in your house?

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

CPT: Real or Fake? 230 votes

Real
40% 92 votes
Fake
52% 121 votes
1 of each.
3% 7 votes
SS
4% 10 votes

Re: CPT: Real or Fake?

• Sorry, no tree in this house.  Might change that with the kid, we'll see.
  • We have a fake tree, but I really miss the real thing. I cannot convince DH though ::sighs::

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• Loading the player...
  • I picked one of each...the fake one is a little white one that I had since before I was married.  I had a real one growing up, but was content without one until I married DH.  He has to have a real one.
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14
                                                                  BFP #3 Nov 2014: D&C January 2015
                                                                  BFP #4 Sept 2016: Due May 31 2017

• We always had real as kids, i have since learned how much i hate getting poked by needles and dealing with everything. I have pine scents i use if and when i want the smell.

• I grew up with a real tree; so did H. However, we bought a fakey 5 years ago when we moved into our home. It is 12 ft, so we thought it would pay for itself in 2-3 Christmases. We burn te Yankee Balsam fir candle to make it more "real".

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • My entire family usually makes a day of it and we go to a huge Christmas tree farm where you take a hayride out to the middle of the trees and you get to cut yours down.  It's one of my favorite things to do with my family and look forward to it every year, so it's real all the way for us.

BUT.

Not to be a debbie downer, but last year we went to the Christmas tree farm on Saturday December 1st with my family and it was such a wonderful day.  Like, the best day ever. It was also the last day I ever saw my dad.  (He died suddenly on Tuesday morning, December 4th). So I have no idea what we're going to do this year as far as a tree. Part of me KNOWS that my dad would want us to keep up that tradition. But another part of me doesn't want to step foot on that Christmas tree farm ever again.  SIGH.  We'll see.

So yeah... real tree all the way for us! And maybe we'll start a new tradition this year.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• lmills730 said:
    It makes me sad that real is "losing" in this poll! I can't imagine Christmas without a real tree...
    This, exactly. I don't understand fake trees. Half the fun is trekking out to find the tree!

• We've always had a fake tree because my sister has asthma & it would just trigger it. When I moved down with DH we did a real tree 1 year. I was absolutely miserable.

Throat scratchy, eyes burned.

So fake it is.
  • mrsjenni said:

My entire family usually makes a day of it and we go to a huge Christmas tree farm where you take a hayride out to the middle of the trees and you get to cut yours down.  It's one of my favorite things to do with my family and look forward to it every year, so it's real all the way for us.

BUT.

Not to be a debbie downer, but last year we went to the Christmas tree farm on Saturday December 1st with my family and it was such a wonderful day.  Like, the best day ever. It was also the last day I ever saw my dad.  (He died suddenly on Tuesday morning, December 4th). So I have no idea what we're going to do this year as far as a tree. Part of me KNOWS that my dad would want us to keep up that tradition. But another part of me doesn't want to step foot on that Christmas tree farm ever again.  SIGH.  We'll see.

So yeah... real tree all the way for us! And maybe we'll start a new tradition this year.
    Ahhh. I'm sorry to hear that. Keep up the tradition. He will be there in spirit.
    I think he would want everyone to continue and remember him.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I have a small one since storing a full-size tree in my apartment would be really hard. Once we move, we'll be buying a full-size fake tree. I hate cleaning the needles from the real trees, and I love the pre-lit trees because I'm lazy and don't want to string lights. I just burn pine tree Scentsy stuff for the effect. :)
    ________________________________________________________________________________

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We always do real.  Both of us had real growing up.  My husband's family would buy theirs from the store and my family went out into the bush to search for the perfect tree.  Even when I was single, I went out with my parents to find my own perfect tree.  So now we borrow my dad's truck, bundle up the kids and head out to the bush to find the tree.  My oldest is already asking if we can go get a tree, so she is so excited about it already.  I love passing on my traditions!

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• DH's uncle owns a garden store so we get a real tree every year. I'm nervous about having a tree, real or fake, with a toddler at home. I can only imagine the tree laying on its side after being pulled over by DS!
  • We have a fake tree but I would love to get a real one.  DH doesn't want to deal with the mess, plus we don't know if a real tree will entice our cats to climb into it (they currently just enjoy sleeping under it and occasionally playing with a low-hanging ornament).
                        Nathaniel Robert born 1.16.2014

• SS - DH and I both would prefer a real tree, but up until this point it's always been fake because we lived on the second floor of our duplex and it was simply too much hassle to try to wrestle a real tree up the narrow staircases. Then last year (after we moved to a new house) we still used the fake tree because we went to the IL's for Christmas and were gone a week.

This year (and any year from now on that we don't travel for the holiday) we'll have a real tree.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love my huge fake tree :) .... and my small primitive fake tree in the bedroom :)

I refuse to buy them pre-lit though...my parents wasted so much money on pre-lit trees over the years that only lasted a couple years at best before half the bulbs burned out.  So I buy cheap lights from lowes for $2 a box and get new lights every year, then on the off chance that some of them still work the following year...they get used for decorations elsewhere in the house.
    Really? The only things I really love about my fake tree was that it was cheap and pre-lit. I bought it ten years ago for under $20 on clearance at Target (it's a 6 foot tree), and I've never had a bulb go out in all that time. Must just have been lucky.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Growing up we always cut  our own tree every year and I do miss that tradition. But I have to admit that I LOVE our fake tree! It is permit and I like not having to worry about bugs or watering it. Also, I'm worried that of we get a real tree our dachshund might pee on it (he loves to pee on trees).

This year I am being lame and we aren't putting up the tree. I just don't feel like dealing with it on top of baby stuff and baby arrival.

**********************************************************************************************************************

Diagnosed with PCOS June 2010, TTC#1 since May 2012
    Cycle#1-3 Clomid 50mg + TI= No response
    Cycle#4-5 Clomid 150mg + Metformin 1000mg + TI= BFN, but finally ovulation!!!
    Cycle #6 Clomid 150mg + Metformin 1500mg + IUI(4/15)= BFP!!! EDD 01/06/2014 <br>

Stella Margaret arrived on December 21, 2013!

imageimage image

• We made the transition to fake last year. We have 13' ceilings in the living room and tall real trees = really wide and we don't have the space for a really wide tree.  I do really like our prelit faker.

I do get real trimings for wreaths though!

PCOS diagnosed secondary infertility

BFP #1 (letrozole 2.5mg + ovidrel) February 2016, MMC April 2016 @ 7 weeks

BFP #2 (letrozole 5mg + ovidrel) July 2016, Beta #1 359, Beta #2 745, Beta #3 11484

EDD April 9th, 2017

• I live in Oregon which I have heard is where most of the nation's Christmas trees come from. I think it is a state law to have a real tree  ;)  But seriously we got a 5 1/2 foot, cut your own, lasts until March tree last year for $15. Loved it and plan on going back to the same farm this year! 

"Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil." -Gandalf 
    m/c #1 01/10/12
    BFP #2 01/18/13. EDD 09/10/13. Missed m/c 02/18/13. 
    BFP #3 5/1/13 My rainbow DS born 1/13/14
    BFP #4 11/11/15 spontaneous m/c 12/28/15
    BFP#5  Praying for another rainbow in February!

• We tried the real tree thing when I was younger, but there were too many allergies in the family and we were miserable so we just stuck to fake ones. 

• DH and I haven't done a tree. We have cats and they'd just climb it. Maybe we'll brave it next year with LO.

dx with anovulatory PCOS 2005
    off bcp 11/11
    a few rounds of clomid and femara... no response.
    injectables/IUI 12/12... BFN
    Feb 13 IVF cycle converted down to IUI due to low follicle response... BFFN
    one last IVF attempt April/May 2013: 19 retrieved. 10 fertilized. 2 transferred in a 3dt. 4 frosties... BFP!!
    EDD: 1/21/14... Induced early at 36+6. Our little girl was born 12/30/13

surprise pregnancy with baby #2!  EDD: 8/30/16

• mrsjenni said:
    My entire family usually makes a day of it and we go to a huge Christmas tree farm where you take a hayride out to the middle of the trees and you get to cut yours down.  It's one of my favorite things to do with my family and look forward to it every year, so it's real all the way for us.

BUT.

@mrsjenni My family has also made a tradition of cutting down the tree at the farm.  It was always my sister, Dad and I that went and then DH joined in the year we got married.  Now DH and I go together and I went last year with my Mom since my Dad was sick and my sister lives out of town.  Given your Dad's passing I understand if you aren't sure you want to continue your tradition.  My heart goes out to you and your family.
    TI w/Clomid 12/16, 1/17, 2/17
    OB ordered SA 2/17 and referred to RE for MFI - Low Count/Motility
    DH Varicocele repair 6/17. 
    9/17 SA: count improved
    TI w/Letrozole 9/17, 10/17
    IUI#1 11/17 BFN
    IUI#2 Christmas day :'( Canceled due to low count/poor sample  :'(
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: 3/18 BCP, Lupron down reg, Follistim 300IU, LDHCG 10units, Lupron 5units, Ovidrel trigger on 3/18. ER 3/21
    8 retrieved, 5 mature, 3 smaller no fertilization w/IVF. 3/5 fertilized w/ICSI. Day 5 Fresh transfer scheduled 3/26 or day3 on Saturday if any arrest.

• We always had fake because of allergies and to avoid the pets eating the needles!

• We got a fake tree two years ago, I miss the process of buying a real one but it's so much easier and I can put it up/take it down whenever I want which I really like. 

• I chose special snowflake because we have always had a fake tree, but I think this year we will try out a real one! I have never had a real tree (my Mom is a worrywart, and thought the house would burn down) but my DH always had one. I think my cats will go apeshit and knock it over EVERY DAY... I guess we shall see.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jms1374 said:
    Am I the only one who thought this was going to be a poll about boobs? 

• I'm a fake tree girl all the way.  It makes me sad to chop down a tree and watch it slowly die in our living room.  I'm weird, I know.  
  • Real or Fake, I expected a boob post too!

We do real but my family did fake for convenience. We don't pick it out in a farm though, that sounds fun.  We get it from a parking lot in 80 degree weather....kinda takes the fun out of it.  We always opt for a lot that is run by a the YMCA, Boys & Girls Club, etc. so they can get some funds from it. 

We are NOT decorating this year though.  At all.  I don't want to deal with the set-up & clean-up while pregnant or worse yet, if my baby comes early!  Anyone else not decorating this year?

Pregnancy Ticker

• Real tree! The bigger and wider the better (that's what she said)

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7
    PgAL

• We are NOT decorating this year though.  At all.  I don't want to deal with the set-up & clean-up while pregnant or worse yet, if my baby comes early!  Anyone else not decorating this year?

I am due to deliver on 12/31, but with an older child, there is no way in hell we are not getting a real tree and doing the whole shebang. I'm not shafting her Christmas in any way. If this was our first child, I could see not doing a tree this year.

• Mine is fake...i kill all plants.  

January 2014 Spreadsheet
  • I chose special snowflake, because I have always had a fake tree. It was part of the tradition every year, pulling out and fluffing branches, and putting it all together. This year though, I told DH I want a real tree!! He always had one growing up, and I'm SO excited to get one for the first time :D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Fake :( we live in a condo and no real trees are allowed. I can't wait to have a real one again, nothing beats that smell!
  • Totally thought this was a boob poll.

I grew up with real trees, going to the farm and cutting them down with my family, etc.  My husband's family always had a fake one because one of his brothers is allergic.  They have their tree down & put away before Christmas Day is over- I think one year we actually had to put it up for them Christmas morning because they didn't bother....it makes me sad :( When we started living together, I put my foot down and we always have had a real one.  We go cut it down the first weekend of December and it's up until the first weekend of the New Year (although my husband ALWAYS tries to get me to take it down the day after Christmas).

• DH grew up with a fake one whereas I grew up with real ones (at least until I was in college). So we made a deal that we can have a fake one until our kiddos get older, and then I want to go and chop down our own.

• @sugarland726 I COMPELTELY get that and would make the same decision.  Yes, FTM here so it is just DH and me.  I still feel on the fence about it but he does not want to lift all the boxes in the garage this year with everything else going on.

Pregnancy Ticker

• jms1374 said:
    Am I the only one who thought this was going to be a poll about boobs? 

That's exactly why I chose the subject line I did. ;)

• We have been doing a fake tree, since our apartment didn't allow real trees. I can't remember if we "upgraded" our tree before or after buying our house. Our future plan is to do real trees (ok, so MY future plan) but at the moment, ours doesn't smell like mouse shit, it still looks nice, the kids find it fascinating to fluff the branches, and this year I'm doing as little as possible. Even though festivities MIGHT be at our house. (everyone else will cook)

Growing up, we had fake trees, because my dad inherited opposite traits from his parents- he's a pyro like his dad, and has a strong fear of fires from his mom. So, they have a fireplace, and according to mom, we couldn't have a real tree in the house in case a log came out of the fireplace and caught the tree on fire (20 feet away). Well, she was explaining this to someone when I was probably in 8th or 9th grade, and Dad threw up his hands and said "Woman, if you want a real tree, then get the damn tree!" So, after that we started getting a real tree.

My parents have taken our tradition of finding a tree and adjusted it some, so now it's my parents and my boys. Mom always clears out a space for the tree, then measures it. My boys LOVE using the measuring tape to find the right-sized tree :)

I'm just glad they get to experience the best of both worlds!
    ********************************************************************************************************

DS1 born 11/3/06   *   DS2 born 3/29/08   *   DD born 3/15/11  

Scarlett Mae born 1/14/14                         Our family is now complete!

• We always had a fake tree growing up due to our dumb dogs that would drink the water and eat the pine needles (or so my parents told us). Still have a fake tree now that I'm married because, well, I hate cleaning up pine needles and I'll never keep the thing watered enough. I can barely manage a houseplant. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"