February 2013 Moms

Feeling burnt out...

Anyone else feeling worn down after 7 to 8 months of infant care?

I try hard to be positive and remember that this is only temporary, but I feel so overwhelmed by my high needs baby sometimes. I extended my maternity leave to be home with him and from day 1 he's been incredibly fussy and hard to please. He still needs to be nursed to sleep most of the time and at night I can barely sneak away to go get some things done or spend time with DH. He is still waking up every two hours at night and nurses so much I wake up more empty than full. He can't sit and play by himself for longer than 5 minutes and must be constantly entertained. Nothing keeps him happy for long. I spend all day running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to make him happy and can barely get 1 minute to brush my teeth or make lunch. He doesn't like the stroller, doesn't take a bottle, can only last 15 or so minutes in the car. He doesn't crawl or seem to have any desire to crawl. He wants to be held so he can stand all day.

When he was really little DH could hold him for naps or rock him to sleep at night. But since about 3 months DS wants nothing to do with him. Within 2 minutes of him holding him he flips out and screams hysterically. DH also doesn't lift a finger to help out around the house. (We fought about it yesterday to no avail.) My mom comes once a week to hold him and that's the only day I get things like laundry done. I baby wear but can't pull clothes in and out with him. And he gets pissed if I'm not constantly in motion while wearing him.

I just thought it would be a little better by now, but it seems worse than ever. I know he has a tooth growing but it's been two weeks and he's still extremely fussy and clingy. I just feel overwhelmed. People keep saying it's my fault that I need to just let him cry. I don't feel like I'm coddling him, he's just a baby. But it's so hard when even DH acts like the fussiness is my fault.

Anyway...thanks for reading. I go to mommy groups and baby story time and see my friends with babies and feel like no one else's babies act like DS. No one really understands when I try to explain. I just wish he would calm down a little.

I like cookies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Feeling burnt out...

• +adamwife+ made me tear up a little.

OP, I can sympathize. My baby isn't as high needs as yours seems to be. She does all of those things but she can play by herself for closer to 45 min once or twice in a day. But since she hates being left in the pack m play and is crawling I can't just walk away to do the dishes. In the ergo i have to be moving so I can pick up around the apt but dishes and folding laundry are a no-go. She likes to hang out with DH but only I can put her to sleep since she only nurses to sleep.

My mom and in laws are too set in their routines to come over and help and my dad is in another state. Other relatives are too busy too. I have a friend who comes over once a week for a few hours and that helps. I'm not planning on going back to work at this point until the spring. We need my income to save money but it is too heartbreaking to try to get DD to sleep without me. She is too bonded to me at the moment and because of how precious babyhood is and how neglected I felt as a child I do not want to leave her at night to back to work.

I often day dream of a traditional communal life where al of the women in a village are there to help the new mothers but the reality is that even in that situation there is still a lot of work to be done. In that fantasy I am used to it though and so adamwife's words rang true for me. I have to get used to this and I was never prepared even being a nanny for a while on my early 20's was not adequate preparation. I didn't k ow how hard it would really be or how stressed out I would be all of the time!

But I know that the personal rewards are great. No matter how my relationship with DD changes in the future if I can let motherhood change me I will be a better person for it. If I resist the challenge of motherhood I become negative and loose out on a great gift: an opportunity to be more than I was before motherhood.

I want to have more kids but before I can even think about thriving with a full plate o motherhood I have to learn how to survive with my first taste o motherhood.

Some of what I have written may not pertain to your situation but I wanted to commiserate and share.

Also, you sound like you are doing a great job and I know your child will be thankful for it when he is old enough to understand (which may not be until he becomes a father himself but still). An Internet pat on the back, thumbs up and hugs to you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you ladies. Adamwife, I really appreciate you taking the time to type out that response. I agree that maintaining the right perspective goes a long way. I am a work in progress on that. I do tend to get stuck on things I need or want to do and have to remind myself that DS just wants my attention. Someday he will be too busy or too cool for me I'm sure.

If such a thing as husband/daddy boot camp existed though, I'd be signing up DH to go. I'm looking forward to DS's daddy only phase someday.

I like cookies.

• I hope I didn't sound harsh or like you don't deserve to feel the way you do, because you totally do.  I wasn't trying to downplay what you are feeling, because it's totally legitimate.

As far as DHs go - mine was pretty worthless with #1.  In fact, he's still pretty worthless with the teeny babies.  But he is wonderful with toddlers.  Once they are big and sturdy and he can roughhouse with them, DH sort of takes over for me and the kids feel like a lot less work.  Maybe your DH will be that way too! 

• I just went back to work in Sept and our sitter kindly informed me that my kid can not be in a room by herself without crying.   It never even occurred to me that there were babies out there who could play by themselves in a room while mom did the dishes.  I just thought all babies were like mine.  Now that I am part of a nanny share I realize how high needs my kid really is.   I really think it is just her temperment.  You are not alone, we are nowhere near sleeping through the night or crawling.  At the point when everyone elses kid was nursing every 3 hours, mine was still nursing every hour on the hour.  Oh and DD had horrible gas until 5 months not 3 like everyone says. We will get through it! This too shall pass.
  • I started crying when I read adamwife's response...

I don't have much to add, because I think the more experienced moms hit the nail on the head, but I will say this: it is definitely not your fault that he is like this. Some babies are more high needs than others. You can't spoil a baby. Leaving him to cry would just teach him that you aren't there for him. :( 

You are doing a great job, it sounds like!
  • Ditto what everyone said. Look at how fast our babies have grown. Before you know it they'll be in pre-k. Hang in there mama. Like others said, be kind to yourself and lower your expectations for yourself. And like adamwife suggested, if you need your hands free to do stuff, you can learn to wear your baby on you back. This is how I do it (also the cheapest way as all you need is some non-stretch fabric that's long enough to wrap around yourself with plus a little extra). https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QWItHnkfLl8 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vEuHTtUQMlo There are other ways like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aADBBw6-tM8 I do it standing over my bed. You an have someone help you until you feel comfortable doing it yourself. Trust me, it makes a world of difference since you can now carry your baby and get stuff done at the same time.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My son is the exact same. And I have PPD to go along with all the high needs behavior. My fiancé is hands off. It's gotten so bad I separated from my fiancé. I need money pretty bad an am a family nurse practitioner so I can make good money but my little guy won't take a bottle or nap without nursing. I feel terribly hopeless and alone but these encouraging words give me hope. Thanks for sharing your situation, it helps me feel less crazy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"