Parenting

Runners/joggers I have a question

I started jogging a few weeks ago and I am a beginner. Aka, I don't jog long distances yet.

Yesterday I did more than usual and my knees hurt. Is that normal? Am I doing something wrong? I feel like if they were going to hurt, they would have hurt when I first started?

Re: Runners/joggers I have a question

• My knees started hurting about a month after I started running. 
    I found that doing a lot of stretching after my run helped. 
    Also, how old are your shoes?  They might not be supporting you enough.
    The Book of Love Has Music in it

• Also, school me on running/jogging.
    Running is different from jogging right?
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't purchased running shoes yet, I want to see if I stick with it before I invest
  • I'd look at stretching, shoes and form. Running with proper form can save your shins and knees. DH used to be in cross-country so he worked with me on heel strike, gait and how to hold my body.

YouTube probably has some videos.
    DD1 (b. 8/16/2010)
    DD2 (b. 9/04/2013)
    BFP 2/25/12, m/c @ 6w 3d || BFP 8/1/12, m.m/c @ 9w5d
  • The same thing happened to me. My knees and ankles literally ached at night while I was sleeping it was so bad.  I also wore heels at work.   I had to get new shoes and orthopedic insoles and I have limited my high heel wearing.  I haven't had issues since.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Try running on softer surface if possible and GET GOOD SHOES! shoes make all the difference.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• I'm jogging with a stroller, so what kind of form would I use?
  • Ditto on the shoes. If you can find somewhere that actually looks at your old shoes go determine you running/wear pattern and then recommend shoes based on that, that'd get you your best fit.

IMO, running is more "training or time based" and jogging is a bit more laid back...hell, I dunno...
    DS1 November 2009
    DS2 August 2012
  • bullybutt said:

shanado said:

I haven't purchased running shoes yet, I want to see if I stick with it before I invest
    You're not gonna sitick with it if it's killing you and making you miserable to run. Get the shoes..your investment is your motivation!

Good point
  • I'm not sure about jogging with a stroller, but in general: look forward, shoulders down (don't scrunch up shoulders), engaged core, and strike between the heel and midfoot then roll forward. It's a lot to think about at first but becomes more natural.

Also, I second the suggestion of strengthening the quads. That helped me a ton. Lunges are good for that.
    DD1 (b. 8/16/2010)
    DD2 (b. 9/04/2013)
    BFP 2/25/12, m/c @ 6w 3d || BFP 8/1/12, m.m/c @ 9w5d
  • I really like yoga in addition to running. It keeps my muscles flexible and my core strong.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• How long before I can run for a longer period of time? I can jog a long block but I'm really winded afterwards. I know it depends on the person, but I feel like my stamina should have increased.
  • I second everything @kiraliz2 says. A little at a time and don't focus on speed.

imageimage

• kiraliz2 said:
    Go slower, and alternate walking with running so that you can go longer distances.

Yes, maintaining a comfortable pace (regardless if it's walking/jogging) is going to be the key. You will eventually and gradually build up your endurance.  Set a goal for each week (distance, time, etc.) Do you have a running  partner?  Some people thrive with one.  I don't, but some do.  Also if you have some jammin tunes to keep you plugging along, also helps!

• I would love to run with music but I have Sophia with me who likes to talk especially while I'm jogging, so I feel bad for tuning her out. Should I feel bad?
  • Just have a speaker out or leave one ear bud out, so you can hear her if needed.

imageimage

• And another thing.  I have been running for an upcoming 1/2 marathon.  Running with a stroller is the SHITS...I HATE running with one.  It kills my form and definitely drags me down.  It's much easier to run solo IMO (but I understand why you're running with her).

• I hate stroller running, too.

imageimage

• It sucks, because I feel like I can't focus.
  • I'm starting out too, but I did invest in good shoes. You can still use them if you decide to stop running.

Are you warming up by walking first? Also, doing some strength training can help.

Have you tried the couch to 5k app? I loved it. You don't notice progress immediately, but in a few weeks you see huge improvement. It's good to ease into it so you don't burn out if you push too hard. I also learned that I needed to slow down my pace to be able to run longer distances. Good luck and have fun :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • Spooko said:

If you're just starting out and not going long/far anyways, can you do it when your DH stays home with the kids? 20-30 min alone? That's actually why I started running, lol, because we don't have a jogging stroller so I was all, Welp, guess you're staying with DD. You DO want me to run, RIGHT?

And I'd put the phone on speaker or just ignore her. Give her a toy phone so she has someone to talk to if nothing else.

I had started this while Dh was and is working long hours. So he's not home. But, once it gets cold I'll have to go solo anyway.

Speaking of cold, do you guys run during winter? The cold doesn't bother me but is it safe to run when it's cold?
  • There's a lot of apps for c5k. Which one should I get?
  • I would run without jogger if at all possible.  I mean, it is totally feasible, but it is such a PITA.  You'll also feel more successful running without it, because it is so much easier to run sans stroller.  

I ran a lot on the treadmill last winter (that's where I really started), but I'm going to run outdoors as much as I can this winter.  The dreadmill sucks compared to outdoor running.  I find it easier to run in cold versus big heat.  Except sometimes my asthma doesn't like the extreme cold.

imageimage

• I don't run in the cold...ha, nope. I am such a little bitch with cold. Plus I have asthma and it acts up more when it's cold. I will, however, run in the 100 degree heat-no prob.
    DS1 November 2009
    DS2 August 2012
  • Is this the one?
  • Winter is the best time to run. It's hard to motivate yourself to go out there, but once you do it's awesome. Your body doesn't overheat so you are more efficient in the cold-I am usually a lot faster and can go longer because of this. I don't like to run below 20 degrees though and have yet to brave running on snowing sidewalks-I stick to the road if it's snowed recently. If you get the right gear, it's great. It helps to warm up before you head out so you can start running right away to stay warm. I wear a neck warmer and pull it over my mouth until my lungs are warmed up so they aren't shocked by the cold air. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • shanado said:

Is this the one?

I got the free one by Zen Labs. I liked it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • Weight loss is the biggest goal but definitely stress management.
  • I'd like for it to be a long term thing regardless of weight, though.
  • wino2006 said:
    Winter is the best time to run. It's hard to motivate yourself to go out there, but once you do it's awesome. Your body doesn't overheat so you are more efficient in the cold-I am usually a lot faster and can go longer because of this. I don't like to run below 20 degrees though and have yet to brave running on snowing sidewalks-I stick to the road if it's snowed recently. If you get the right gear, it's great. It helps to warm up before you head out so you can start running right away to stay warm. I wear a neck warmer and pull it over my mouth until my lungs are warmed up so they aren't shocked by the cold air. 
    Lurking- but yes, this. Running when it's cold is much much better than running when it's hot. I love it.
  • bbg676 said:
    Weird question but does anyone else get really bad pain and tightness on the inside of their calves (like, the inner parts that touch when you put your legs together)? I know what shin splints feel like and this isn't it. It started with the left calf, about halfway down, where it is the thickest. I also have tenderness to the touch around the left ankle and up to the calf. Now it is both calves and it is ruining my 5k. I JUST got to the point I could do it without stopping and I have a race this weekend. :( P.S. I know I need new shoes. My RunTones are old and very worn. We're pricing out inexpensive Reeboks right now. I'm just trying to figure out what the pain is and if it's normal or not. I stretch, warm up, and cool down, yet each day it gets worse. Walking and stairs create the most pain/tightness. I have stopped running for now.
    I have this issue, and I believe it's related to possible Achilles tendon tightness.  Make sure to stretch well after, and use a foam roller at any time possible.  A good way to work it out is to roll your feet on the ground.   

imageimage

• That makes me feel more confident @spooko, thanks :D
  • @spooko - that's my mantra too - although I still have to stop like every 30 seconds. I am weak. :)
    @shanado I'm sure you're lapping me no matter what so good luck :)

Formerly known as KJLx121.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"