Breastfeeding

when to introduce bottle

To avoid nipple confusion. Im EBF my twins and would like to be able to leave the house at some point. Im not coordinated enough to feed in public...nor confident enough. Im wondering when its safe to intro a bottle for outtings?
After three miscarriages and one ectopic pregnancy we are currently pursuing adoption. " Born not from our flesh, but born in our heart. You were longed for and wanted and loved from the start."

Re: when to introduce bottle

• WELL....Everything I read said to wait until at least 4 weeks old to avoid nipple confusion. Pffft. I introduced almost immediately after he figured out BF - around 2-3 weeks old. He didn't like it, but he took it. We were especially worried about his bedtime feed because I work second shift and returned to work at 10 weeks post-partum. With bottles, we started with Dad giving one once every 1-2 days. Once LO got the hang of swapping between the breast and bottle, we made sure we gave him a bedtime bottle (instead of breast) a couple times per week. He got most angry about that one, but had it figured out by the time I started working again. Now there's no issues.

Except yesterday - HA - I got home JUST as the baby-sitter finished warming up a bottle. I didn't want to waste the breastmilk, so I decided to feed him a bottle and then go pump. LO was like, "MOM! I'm ok if other people give this weak substitute for a boob, but you have the real thing. Why on EARTH would you torture me like this??" After a few minutes of being finicky, he finally gulped the thing down.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Great thank you...they are 4 weeks on Monday and im starting to get a little stir crazy :)))))
    After three miscarriages and one ectopic pregnancy we are currently pursuing adoption. " Born not from our flesh, but born in our heart. You were longed for and wanted and loved from the start."
  • Loading the player...
  • We started around 10 days old (early for some). He had a paci by then and neither caused any trouble for us. DH would give him a bottle during one of the night feeds while I pumped. He was not thrilled if I was the one giving him the bottle but he would take it. He stopped taking his paci at about 3 months but bottles were fine. 
  • I introduced a bottle around 3-4 weeks.  I went back to work at 6 weeks postpartum so LO had to get the hang of taking a bottle.  For the most part I nursed and would do what Teresata858 recommended.  I would run my errands after LO nursed and I usually kept them to short trips (1-2 hours).  Once LO got into a schedule this was really easy to do.
  • My LO's pediatrician told me yesterday at her 1 month appt to introduce a bottle now.  She said if we wait too long, she might refuse it.  But she also said to make sure someone else gives her the bottle.  Like the PP said, she might not take it from me and it might confuse her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We started at 3 days to help work out some jaundice. No confusion, but I also always had someone other than me give the bottles. That way dd knew that to get food from me, she had to nurse. I didn't have the bottle.
    January 2009: Goodbye TR (13 weeks) February 2010: Welcome DD1! March 2011: Welcome DD2! Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"