Natural Birth

New documentaries?

Hi Ladies, 

When I was pregnant last time I was very active on this board. Now I'm back and hoping to have a successful unmedicated birth (last time I ended up with pit and epi for 2 hours :( ). Anyway, I was just wondering if there are any new "Must See" documentaries out that I should look for. My library already includes TBOBB and MBOBB and I've seen Pregnant in America. Are there any new ones I should check out? Thanks so much! Happy to be back on this amazing board! 
                                                                               4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
              imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

Re: New documentaries?

• I really enjoyed Ina May's new movie, Birth Story. It's not on Netflix, but you can rent or buy it from itunes. https://watch.birthstorymovie.com/
  • It's not out yet, but this documentary won't be coming out for at least another year, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

www.thehospitalmidwife.com

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Great! Thank you! 
                                                                                   4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
                  imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• I really enjoyed Ina May's new movie, Birth Story. It's not on Netflix, but you can rent or buy it from itunes. https://watch.birthstorymovie.com/
    My husband and I watched this movie today. It was really great and empowering. I loved watching the footage of several Farm births over the last few decades. The breach birth was fascinating to see. During my second birth - which was my first and only home birth - my daughter had shoulder dystocia - and they show a shoulder dystocia birth caught on film. 

It really struck home with me because it allowed me to see what my husband saw when Kate was born. Her head came out but no matter how much I pushed the shoulders wouldn't budge. Her face just kept turning bluer and purpler until my midwife flipped me over onto my hands and knees - then she slid out. Kate was totally stunned and did not breathe for several minutes. We had to resuscitate her with oxygen/bagging. Her apgars were 0 and 2...She was still connected to me by the umbilical cord and never lost her heartbeat but it was probably the worst moment of my life. I remember thinking "wow it's a girl" and my second thought was "don't get excited because she is probably going to die"...seeing that same scenario play out in the movie was pretty jarring. My husband had tears in his eyes. Kate ended up being fine (she is now 4 and perfectly healthy)

Because of our experience w/ having to resuscitate our baby at home we decided to have our 3rd baby in the hospital and that went smoothly. We have since moved to a different community. Our local hospital is very anti-natural childbirth, and this makes me anxious/nervous in trusting the hospital staff to let my body take the lead...I am paranoid about interventions and complications.

This movie is just what I needed to remind myself that I can trust my body to deliver my next baby...If The Farm wasn't a 7 hour drive, I would definitely consider having my baby there! 

Thanks so much for the suggestion! I had no idea this movie was out there.
  • It's not a documentary but I loved watching "Call the Midwife" when I was pregnant.  It's loosly based on true stories!

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• As PP's have mentioned, Ina May's movie, Birth Story: Ina May Gaskin and The Farm Midwives, was terrific. I have also watched TBOBB and MBOBB and in my opinion, Ina May's movie was just as good, if not better. Definitely worth watching, even if its just for a little added "peace of mind" and "encouragement" regarding the natural birth process. 

• There is a great new documentary called "Midwife" which explores home birth midwives. It has just started showing in various states having screenings, and will be out on Netflix after the new year.  I went to the premier (the film maker and profiled midwife are local to me) and it was wonderful. https://www.midwifethedocumentary.com
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"