Stay at Home Moms

Speaking of fat kids

I just picked up a friends kid from school. He said they got rid f white milk because no one bought it so now they just have strawberry and chocolate. Um hell no. DDs school only has white milk and all the kids drink it fine.

Re: Speaking of fat kids

• That's awful! I hate that my kids school sells sugared drinks at all, but I would be livid if plain milk wasn't offered! 
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sagen said:
    I think that is lame logic on the schools part. If no one drinks the white milk you ditch the flavored kind, not vice versa!
    Yes! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • That reminds me of my friend's school district that she teaches at. Two years ago they got rid of the burger patties with all the additives to it. Apparently, they quietly added them back to the menu because kids weren't eating the burgers that didn't have any additives to it. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • I wonder what kind of milk the schools sending home fat letters serve...
  • CnAmom said:
    Yeah, they have that all backwards. The one head scratcher with DS1's school is that they're all about healthy eating but they still offer flavored milk. They have a salad/fruit bar but the kids can still have a strawberry milk if they want one. At least they don't have soda.

Eh, I probably am in the minority but I don't really have a negative opinion on flavored milk. It motivates kids to get an important nutrient and doesn't have that much added sugar. https://www.healthyeating.org/milk-dairy/dairy-facts/chocolate-milk.aspx https://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2013/08/22/back-to-school-chocolate-milk-edition
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • All of what Hav said sums it up for me.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers                            

My Loves= SD 18 SS 16 SS13 DD13 DS10 SD6 SD5 

• Hav=Fath said:

KC_13 said:
    CnAmom said:
    Yeah, they have that all backwards. The one head scratcher with DS1's school is that they're all about healthy eating but they still offer flavored milk. They have a salad/fruit bar but the kids can still have a strawberry milk if they want one. At least they don't have soda.

Eh, I probably am in the minority but I don't really have a negative opinion on flavored milk. It motivates kids to get an important nutrient and doesn't have that much added sugar. https://www.healthyeating.org/milk-dairy/dairy-facts/chocolate-milk.aspx https://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2013/08/22/back-to-school-chocolate-milk-edition

I don't have a big problem with schools serving chocolate milk since I think it's better for them to drink chocolate milk vs not drinking any milk at all since they'd still get the vitamins/nutrients, but for a school to stop selling white milk? That's just ridiculous!

Yeah, but milk has a very short shelf life and is purchased in bulk. If you don't have enough kids consuming it and you're wasting more than you're using, what do you do then?
  • AndrewsgalAndrewsgal member
    edited October 2013
    The bottom line is DDs school only sells white milk for the kids to drink. Guess what the kids drink? Yep white milk, funny how that works.
  • Hav=Fath said:
    KC_13 said:
    Hav=Fath said:

KC_13 said:
    CnAmom said:

I don't have a big problem with schools serving chocolate milk since I think it's better for them to drink chocolate milk vs not drinking any milk at all since they'd still get the vitamins/nutrients, but for a school to stop selling white milk? That's just ridiculous!

Yeah, but milk has a very short shelf life and is purchased in bulk. If you don't have enough kids consuming it and you're wasting more than you're using, what do you do then?
    You buy it in smaller quantities, you can't justify a school stopping selling white milk. I know you like to argue (as do I) but really, it's white milk.

So if five kids out of 300 are drinking white milk, someone should go out and personally buy them white milk? Milk manufacturers don't sell mass produced milk boxes/bottles in small quantities.
  • KC_13 said:
    Hav=Fath said:
    KC_13 said:
    Hav=Fath said:

KC_13 said:
    CnAmom said:

You buy it in smaller quantities, you can't justify a school stopping selling white milk. I know you like to argue (as do I) but really, it's white milk.

So if five kids out of 300 are drinking white milk, someone should go out and personally buy them white milk? Milk manufacturers don't sell mass produced milk boxes/bottles in small quantities.

Actually some do. I have a friend who volunteers in the kitchen at a very small, rural school and they have to get theirs in small quantities so it doesn't go bad.

BabyFruit Ticker

• edited October 2013
    The bottom line is DDs school only sells white milk for the kids to drink. Guess what the kids drink? Yep white milk, funny how that works.

I doubt every single kid drinks white milk. I'd rather there be options for the kids who won't drink white milk to get milk in their bodies. I think a lot of the time the alternates are much worse than the minimal additional sugar flavored milk brings.
  • KC_13 said:

I doubt every single kid drinks white milk. I'd rather there be options for the kids who won't drink white milk to get milk in their bodies. I think a lot of the time the alternates are much worse than the minimal sugar flavored milk brings.
    We either that or water and since we are talking kids 5 and up. I think that is totally fine. Kids don't NEED milk. They do need the vitamins and nutrients found in milk that can be found in other foods. I am glad they only offer white milk. I think of we were talking a lower income school where the meals at school are the bulk of their daily nutrition I would agree with you but that is not the case here.
  • KC_13 said:

I doubt every single kid drinks white milk. I'd rather there be options for the kids who won't drink white milk to get milk in their bodies. I think a lot of the time the alternates are much worse than the minimal additional sugar flavored milk brings.

Just an example to back this up.. I have a 5yo SD who could not stand white milk. She refused to touch it. She is now in K. They get extra milks throughout the day. Sometimes for their extras, white milk is the only thing available to them. She now loves it and even asks for it at home.

BabyFruit Ticker

• edited October 2013

I doubt every single kid drinks white milk. I'd rather there be options for the kids who won't drink white milk to get milk in their bodies. I think a lot of the time the alternates are much worse than the minimal sugar flavored milk brings.
    We either that or water and since we are talking kids 5 and up. I think that is totally fine. Kids don't NEED milk. They do need the vitamins and nutrients found in milk that can be found in other foods. I am glad they only offer white milk. I think of we were talking a lower income school where the meals at school are the bulk of their daily nutrition I would agree with you but that is not the case here.

Oh, I realize milk isn't necessary and you can make up the nutrients elsewhere. I have two kids who don't drink cows milk--one who can't tolerate it and one who flat out refuses it since the day it went in his cup at twelve months. If I could get him to drink flavored milk I'd have a freaking party. Lol. It is trickier making sure he gets plenty of cheese, yogurt and broccoli in his diet vs knowing he's getting what he needs in two glasses of liquid a day. If I had my choice between water or chocolate milk for him to consume with his lunch, I'd take flavored Milk anyday. I agree in a higher income area there's probably less of a need for alternates since the kids who don't like milk are more likely to have parents more conscientious about nutrition but I don't think that's everyone. I'm team offer flavored milk in schools.
  • KC_13 said:
    CnAmom said:

I think flavored milk is a perfectly fine treat once in a while. I like chocolate milk occasionally (usually with a pb&j sandwich). But I worked really hard to make sure my kids understand it's an occasional treat, a message that school is working to negate. My kids drink milk without a problem, we shouldn't have to accede to those who can't be bothered to teach their kids good eating habits.

There is irony that I'm etting all riled up since my daughter has never purchased anything in the cafeteria at school. I won't put money in her account because I can't control that how she uses it. Even beyond the sugar debate, milk is 0.40, but next to it is $2/bottle yoohoo. No way I trust her to choose plain milk!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • &orchid&&orchid& member
    edited October 2013
    KC_13 said:
    CnAmom said:

Your link says that chocolate milk has 8 grams of added sugar.  That's two teaspoons of sugar in a serving.  That's not an acceptable amount added sugar to me.
  • KC_13 said:
    CnAmom said:

I think flavored milk is a perfectly fine treat once in a while. I like chocolate milk occasionally (usually with a pb&j sandwich). But I worked really hard to make sure my kids understand it's an occasional treat, a message that school is working to negate. My kids drink milk without a problem, we shouldn't have to accede to those who can't be bothered to teach their kids good eating habits.

There is irony that I'm etting all riled up since my daughter has never purchased anything in the cafeteria at school. I won't put money in her account because I can't control that how she uses it. Even beyond the sugar debate, milk is 0.40, but next to it is $2/bottle yoohoo. No way I trust her to choose plain milk!

The problem is they have to appeal to the masses. I think when were on the bump and/or living in areas where people are better educated about nutrition but this isn't a representation of our population. 1 in 3 kids has a weight problem. Most kids are not consuming enough calcium. Milk not only provides important nutrients and helps with weight, not adds to it.
  • I really don't care if my kids drink milk but they don't need flavored milk. Like I said the options at DDs school are white milk or water. So that's what they drink. There is no reason to offer flavored milk full of sugar.
  • amy052006 said:
    So my Catholic school bias, but my grade school totally sold "snack" and made money on it.  Is the school making money on this stuff?  Maybe the "market demands chocolate milk" or whatever, so carrying white isn't even worth it?  Not that it isn't dumb -- I just wonder if its more of a money making issue.
    But hey, I'd make the little tyrants drink plain water.

The funny thing about this was yesterday everyone was so gung ho about screenings in school to help ignorant parents and/or the single mom who couldn't afford to miss work to bring their kid to their well visits. When it comes to calcium consumption and their special snowflake being tempted by the chocolate milk now everyone should drink water and too bad if kids are calcium deficient. The truth of the matter is maybe that poor single mom can't afford enough milk for her four kids. That chocolate milk might be the only calcium that kid sees in their diet. We know kids aren't getting enough calcium and research is showing us that is not only flavored milk helping to control kids weight long term it's providing essential nutrients lacking in kids diets.
  • Then offer white milk. Chocolate is not the only type of milk. Kids will drink what they are offered.
  • Then offer white milk. Chocolate is not the only type of milk. Kids will drink what they are offered.

My son has been offered white milk in school since January as that is all they offer. He still doesn't touch it and drinks out of the water fountain instead. Offering a kid something doesn't mean they drink it. I'm 31 years old and was offered white milk in school for 13 years and only started drinking it when I got pregnant.
  • Then they drink water. Really I will not buy into your nonsense that sugar filled milk needs to be offered at school.
  • Then they drink water. Really I will not buy into your nonsense that sugar filled milk needs to be offered at school.

Then you have a large amount of kids that are calcium deficient which is a current problem that is sadly understated. I know the moms of the bump are knowledgable about providing ample calcium in the absence of milk but we are not representative of the population. A kid who has a little extra sugar but milk is healthier than a kid that drinks solely water. Period.
  • AndrewsgalAndrewsgal member
    edited October 2013
    I wonder which is more prevalent calcium deficiency or childhood obesity? I bet I know.

Andplusalso 4 tsp of extra sugar a day is ALOT no just a little extra sugar. Considering low income kids eat 2 meals a day at school.
  • edited October 2013
    I wonder which is more prevalent calcium deficiency or childhood obesity? I bet I know. Andplusalso 4 tsp of extra sugar a day is ALOT no just a little extra sugar. Considering low income kids eat 2 meals a day at school.

That's the thing though--chocolate milk isn't causing childhood obesity. We have this whole trend of making kids drink lowfat milk and only drink plain white because its going to help control weight and i think its going to help more than hurt. kids are going to drink even less milk and get less calcium Than they already do which is dismal. the protein and fat from the milk keep a kids belly fuller--with water theyre just going to be hungrier and go home and binge on more shit their parents keep stocked in the cupboards. The two extra teaspoons of sugar in flavored milk is sadly the least of kids nutritional concerns today. The important nutrients, healthy fat and protein far outweigh the 8g of sugar. Eta-it's 2 teaspoons, not 4.
  • KC_13 said:

I wonder which is more prevalent calcium deficiency or childhood obesity? I bet I know.

Andplusalso 4 tsp of extra sugar a day is ALOT no just a little extra sugar. Considering low income kids eat 2 meals a day at school.

That's the thing though--chocolate milk isn't causing childhood obesity. We have this whole trend of making kids drink lowfat milk and only drink plain white because its going to help control weight and i think its going to help more than hurt. kids are going to drink even less milk and get less calcium Than they already do which is dismal. the protein and fat from the milk keep a kids belly fuller--with water theyre just going to be hungrier and go home and binge on more shit their parents keep stocked in the cupboards. The two extra teaspoons of sugar in flavored milk is sadly the least of kids nutritional concerns today. The important nutrients, healthy fat and protein far outweigh the 8g of sugar.
    Eta-it's 2 teaspoons, not 4.
    Says KC show me your studies. And not ones that say milk help with weight loss I have seen those.
  • KC_13 said:

That's the thing though--chocolate milk isn't causing childhood obesity. We have this whole trend of making kids drink lowfat milk and only drink plain white because its going to help control weight and i think its going to help more than hurt. kids are going to drink even less milk and get less calcium Than they already do which is dismal. the protein and fat from the milk keep a kids belly fuller--with water theyre just going to be hungrier and go home and binge on more shit their parents keep stocked in the cupboards. The two extra teaspoons of sugar in flavored milk is sadly the least of kids nutritional concerns today. The important nutrients, healthy fat and protein far outweigh the 8g of sugar.

It's four when they are drinking two chocolate milks a day! One with lunch and one with breakfast.
  • KC_13 said:

It's four when they are drinking two chocolate milks a day! One with lunch and one with breakfast.

KC_13 said:
     A kid who has a little extra sugar but milk is healthier than a kid that drinks solely water. Period.

Well my daughter must be so unhealthy then. She doesn't drink milk. Only water. I better run and get her calcium checked. 

Oh shit mine too! Wonder why our registered dietician we work with said nothing? How odd she needs to talk to KC who obviously learned more on the internet than she did getting her masters.
  • The title of this thread makes me laugh.
  • CnAmom said:

Yeah, I send my kid to school with a giant bottle of water and nobody ever told me that I was depriving him of calcium. Well, not until today, anyway.

Only in KC land are our kids considered unhealthy for drinking water :-?
  • Kinda random, but after all the milk talks we had, I got to thinking about DD's stomach issues and cut down her milk intake drastically and her stomach issues are so much better. She's almost used to the reduction in milk as well. She does miss it though. She supposedly doesn't have any food allergies, but she is one who does not disgust it well apparently.
  • KC_13 said:
     A kid who has a little extra sugar but milk is healthier than a kid that drinks solely water. Period.
    Well my daughter must be so unhealthy then. She doesn't drink milk. Only water. I better run and get her calcium checked. 

Didn't I just say my kids don't drink milk? Of course kids can be healthy and have the calcium they need in the absence of milk. I just don't think that applies to the masses. I'm going to go out on a limb and say most low income Americans aren't making their kids smoothies with kefir and flaxseed to supplement their diet.
  • edited October 2013
    CnAmom said:
    This is why I think those resources should be provided by the schools. Sure, a lot of low income families don't know that there are nutrition education and resources available, but that's because they haven't been made aware of them. I think that the best way to target the largest population of at-risk families is through the schools.

I don't disagree there needs to be more education but in the meantime drinks that are highly motivating for kids to consume calcium are necessary for the masses. When there's only ten percent of teenage girls getting enough calcium it's obviously going beyond low income families as well.
  • edited October 2013
    KC_13 said:

Didn't I just say my kids don't drink milk? Of course kids can be healthy and have the calcium they need in the absence of milk. I just don't think that applies to the masses. I'm going to go out on a limb and say most low income Americans aren't making their kids smoothies with kefir and flaxseed to supplement their diet.
    Great, my dd doesn't like smoothies either, she's screwed. :) Seriously, I don't disbelieve that calcium deficiencies are an issue. I do disagree that the fix is for schools to offer milk in whatever crappy sugar-filled, dye-filled form they can. It's like I said yesterday in the thread about fat letters, you can look, separately, at issue through your lens in your little bubble and at the greater issue as it applies to the masses.

If highly motivating calcium containing foods aren't the solution, then what is?
  • We should spank fat kids then give them sugar filled milk surely this will be encouraged by KC.
  • KC_13 said:

KC_13 said:

KC_13 said:

Great, my dd doesn't like smoothies either, she's screwed. :)

Seriously, I don't disbelieve that calcium deficiencies are an issue. I do disagree that the fix is for schools to offer milk in whatever crappy sugar-filled, dye-filled form they can.

It's like I said yesterday in the thread about fat letters, you can look, separately, at issue through your lens in your little bubble and at the greater issue as it applies to the masses.

If highly motivating calcium containing foods aren't the solution, then what is? By that logic we should feed all kids low on iron chicken fried steak.

• I have the solution! We should serve icecream with every meal. Then kids would not be calcium deficient and what kid doesn't love ice cream?
  • Hmm, lets see what is better advice....the recommendation of dietitians and the aap or what people on the bump "think" isn't a good idea but actually don't have a better solution.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"