Postpartum Depression

Lexapro

Hi mommas, I posted a week or so ago how I tried Zoloft and it wasn't for me. I had been taking supplements to help such as my pre natal, omega 3, magnesium, zinc, and B complex. Also going to a therapist once a week, I feel so much better after each visit. And doing acupuncture 2 x a week has helped my sleep tremendously. So I still felt I needed something else..bc those low days are low. My therapist started by on lexapro 2.5mg since I'm super sensitive. I'm on it now my 4th day. I do notice it makes me more tired and I have a headache today that I can't shake. Are headaches common with this? Do they subside after time? Have any of you successfully taken lexapro? I hate reading other online forums and the negatives. I don't know other peoples history but at least I know here we are all dealing with PPA/PPD. Any encouragement..and knowing that I can get through this. I'm hoping I can be on it for a short time. I want to feel like the old me. Thanks xo
Eat Sleep DanceimageBabyFruit Ticker BFP 12/10/2012 - Strong numbers and baby HB 169!

Re: Lexapro

• I took Lexapro in my late 20s when I was struggling with anxiety and depression. I felt very sleepy on it for the first couple of weeks, and I recall a headache or two in the beginning, but all that subsided and before long I felt so much better. I tapered off it after a year and have not had a relapse.

The only negative side effect I had was that it was extremely difficult to reach orgasm. It's eventually what made me decide to go off it, but I wouldn't hesitate to start the medicine again if I did find my depression or anxiety creeping up on me again.

Good luck, and take care.
  • I started on Lexapro a little over a month ago. The first few days I felt very jittery, but that went away quickly. Like jess mentioned, I also have been dealing with a fair bit of fatigue and sleepiness. My doc said this isn't super common but can happen. I have noticed it getting gradually better. I will say though that it has helped me tremendously so far. I don't think I even realized how depressed I was before I started it. Little things have happened over the past month that I know would have made me fly off the handle just a few weeks before, I was totally able to roll with, and I credit the lexapro. I haven't dealt much yet with sexual side effects...since extreme disinterest I think is all wrapped up in my PPD...but I hope it won't be too bad. So far I think it's made me much more myself - I've been so much more engaged, and I'm ready to be creative and social again. I never thought I would take anti-depressants, and haven't yet been able to discuss it with anyone IRL, but I think it's been a lifesaver.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog
  • Loading the player...
  • I did have some side effects for the first week or two, but they went away. Try to stick with it for a month or two before making a decision. I love lexapro personally.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • I believe Lexapro is one med that will take a few weeks to feel the full effects. And you are on a very lose dose as well, but I do remember it making me quite sleepy in the beginning. I've been on it for 10 years now and am currently 36 weeks pregnant with twins. I am worried about PPD so already have my apt scheduled with my psychiatrist for roughly 3 weeks post partum. I hope it works for you as I know it's been a life changer for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"